Planning for 2013-book now or wait? Post#1

Oldnslow1

Howdy from Oklahoma. I have been peeking through the curtains and decided to post my first questions about Alaska. We are planning a 2013 cruise and land trip and need your advice. I see that prices for 2012 have come down and I need to know if we should book now for early June 2013 or wait? Online prices for 2013 are almost double the cost of todays rates. We are durable adventuresome folks, 2 couples, and are considering a DIY land tour by either renting a car or RV for 7 days before or after the cruise. We would likely stay in BB's or hotels, if not an RV. Denali to the end of the line is a must and I really want to see Homer. I want to be efficient and not double back on our route. Any help is a plus.

This question is asked almost daily here.

Go ahead and book. If prices fall prior to final payment, virtually every cruise line has a system of compensating you for the price drop. Whether it be a simple price adjustment, on board credit or relatively close upgrade, you will be taken care of. In fact, just 20 minutes ago I discovered our 2013 Baltic cruise had dropped a bundle, and will be contacting the TA tomorrow to jump on it.

If prices drop after final payment, don't expect any compensation, although it might happen, in some rare cases.

We have booked a year+ in advance before. Most price drops (not all) we have been able to take advantage of. "IF" the sale states new bookings only, there is a good chance you won't get the discount. I've also seen where our early rate ended up being far less than the current rate as the ship was selling out. We have one 15 night cruise to Hawaii that from when we booked to when we were to sail the rate had dropped $800 a person and we qualified for all the drops.

Advantage of booking early is that we can choose the exact cabin we want and the cruise date we want. Yes, there are many sales going on right now but so many are for category guarantees only. There are cabins we wouldn't want, so we don't typically book a guarantee.

I like the excitement too of knowing we have a cruise booked and that I can really plan for it.

No matter what you decide, I'm sure you will have a fantastic vacation.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am of the belief that it is best to book early because you'll find that the lowest price, highest price and best rooms within each category go first. Usually, if price goes down you can get the lower price but often since lower price categories go first if you wait too long even if certain prices go down you may end up paying more than if you booked early because the category of room might be gone by then.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am also a firm believer that you should book early. If the price goes down -- then you can ask for that price reduction.

If you all plan on doing a land trip on your own and doing all that driving -- do that first so that you can rest up on the ship before heading home.

I book early than I can get on CC and enjoy all the conversations and start setting up my excursions. Like Krazy Kruiser said do the land than cruise. We did the cruise than the land and will defiantely do it land than cruise on our next adventure. WE were way to relaxed to get our energy back up and running after the cruise LOL. An AWESOME trip, plus you get to stay with all of us for a long time and read reviews tips and learn something everyday, these people on here are awesome and will help any time. Be sure to use your search button often as you'll find material from prior postings as well that are helpful! GET SET, GET READY, GOOOOOO!:D

There is usually little risk with booking way in advance, IF your booking agent doesn't have their cancelation fees.

I'm not one to usually book early, and do so, with the full intent to cancel if something better comes along. I travel usually every other month so have a lot going on anyway.

I do pick up the late bookings, which many people may not be available for- these do require being flexable, and if air transportation is needed- the ability to snag a rate that doesn't negate the cruiseline savings.

Ideal could be to block out a couple weeks+++ of time, where several cruises would be an option. Get the mainland Alaska car rental double booked if needed, way ahead, same with a RV rental- best rates are in the fall. Use a rental car for the

"extra" days if any. Cover all the possibilities.

Then when the discount action happens (it always has), jump on a discounted cruise, can cancel all the reservations you don't need. Book what else you need- lodging, tours etc. You still have plenty of time for those a few months prior.

I did this myself this year- picked up 3 Alaska cruises for a 5 week vacation block. One cruise was picked up last fall due to free 3/4 deal. The first thing booked was the mainland car rental last Sept. with no cruises. This is my method, won't be of interest to many. :)

Archived