Auroras and Cruises

jaive

How common is it to see an Aurora during a cruise on the Inside Passage?

It depends on different things...time of year, weather, solar flares and location. We went to McKinley in late September and were lucky enough to see them. We did not see them while in the inside passage but that was us. Are you going to the interior and when are you going? I understand September through April are active months but there is no rule. We live in Wisconsin and have been lucky enough to see them here as well.

The biggest issue in the summer is the fact that it never really gets very dark. You could have clear skies with massive solar flares and see nothing because it's 11pm and its' still light out.

LOL, how true that is.

LOL, how true that is.

This is very true, at least in the more central part of the state.

Do not expect to see the Auroras while on a cruise. Its not really the time of year and you really are not far enough north. As stated above, in parts of Alaska, the sun never cuts below the horizon.

On the other hand, where you will be sailing it does get dark at night, you are just to far south.

It depends on different things...time of year, weather, solar flares and location. We went to McKinley in late September and were lucky enough to see them. We did not see them while in the inside passage but that was us. Are you going to the interior and when are you going? I understand September through April are active months but there is no rule. We live in Wisconsin and have been lucky enough to see them here as well.

We are booked in September but I'm considering cancelling that one and going the end of July/beginning of August because with the discount they have running for it right now, it's cheaper.

BUT one of our main things we HOPE to see is an Aurora. However, I know even in September that is a long shot! But is the long shot worth keeping the september sailing or is the possible better weather and no chance of seeing an Aurora worth switching.

We are doing a Round Trip out of Seattle so no interior this time :( Maybe one day!

We are booked in September but I'm considering cancelling that one and going the end of July/beginning of August because with the discount they have running for it right now, it's cheaper.

BUT one of our main things we HOPE to see is an Aurora. However, I know even in September that is a long shot! But is the long shot worth keeping the september sailing or is the possible better weather and no chance of seeing an Aurora worth switching.

We are doing a Round Trip out of Seattle so no interior this time :( Maybe one day!

I makes little difference whether you go end of July/August or September your chances of seeing the Northern Lights is a long shot. When we lived in Juneau I certainly did not stay up all night but I do not remember seeing an aurora.

While on the ship -- Zero!!

Since the cruise ships do Alaska during the time when there is the longest days -- you won't see them.

Actually, this is not true. September is the beginning of "high season" for aurora visibility, and many cruise lines do sail to Alaska in September.

I had posted a question about seeing auroras from the ship and a few people responded that they did see auroras on their cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1618309

But given that's there's a pretty low chance of seeing them, what with cloud cover and all, I don't think I would pick when I cruise based on the chance of seeing the aurora.

!

Hate to rain on your parade, but your chance of seeing the Northern Lights in any summer month are slim to none. I've lived further north for years and have seen them only once...and that was in February.

If your goal in life is to see the Auroras, visit Fairbanks in the winter. And bring a fur coat! ;)

September is the begining of Aurora season and through some of my research I've read that September and February are the best months for it. However, seeing it from cruise ships is very unlikely (not unheard of, just unlikely) even at this time of year because you are not far enough north. Ships leave from Whittier and go south. Best viewing is north of Anchorage and Faribanks seems to be the place to be if you really want to see it. I'll be in Denali for three nights at the very begining of September and am crossing my fingers but am not holding my breath. From the information I've gatheredI havea chance, but a pretty small one.

The other thing is that even given you are in the right part of Alaskaand at the right time of year, it still depends on weather conditions and soon so there is really no telling until you actually get there.

The likelihood of seeing them in coastal Alaska during the cruise season is fairly slim but not impossible as has been reported by others. That said this is a high year in the cycle of the phenomena so your chances of seeing them is somewhat greater that the "Zero" suggested in an earlier post but.....well don't get your hopes up.

While on the ship -- Zero!!

Since the cruise ships do Alaska during the time when there is the longest days -- you won't see them.

. I have personally seen aurora second week of Sept, sailing into Skagway, during a peak year- 2003. I've sailed the same timeframe several other times with no viewing, which is common. The Aurora viewing from the Inside Passage is also way different than interior Alaska. Inside Passage is more horizonal.

You have such a very slim change, I would consider changing your booking. The weather potential is way better July/August for the entire cruise.

Frankly for serious aurora viewers- you need to invest a considerable amount of time around Fairbanks (area) Like a couple weeks. DAILY you need to check aurora prediction sites- the Fairbanks U has their geophysical website with up to date information. You need- high activitity, clear skies- meaning clearly seeing stars- no clouds, and best if no full moon. ADD several hours of time. I've done this twice, going in March. I plan on a trip next year- due to peak predictions. Last peak was 2004, which I was there then.

I have seen them several times in Sept, when interior Alaska touring. ideal is to have a car and the ability to get out of any light. On cruisetours, you are very limited as all the light around you greatly impacts on views. It can be very worthwhile to take a LONG walk, to get in darkness.

We were lucky enough to see them from a ship in September several years back. It was a Princess ship and they told people to leave the Princess channel on their tvs turned on when they went to bed and that they would announce it over the tv if the lights were showing. Lights were showing, Princess announced it, and we got out of bed rushed up to the top of the ship. Very nice! :)

Do not expect to see the Auroras while on a cruise. Its not really the time of year and you really are not far enough north.

Sorry, but that's not true. The Northern Lights can be seen as far south as California for sure if conditions are right. And I saw them in Indiana when I was a child.

I would take the discount then as you are not going into the interior where you may have a change no matter how small.

Sorry, but that's not true. The Northern Lights can be seen as far south as California for sure if conditions are right. And I saw them in Indiana when I was a child.

As far South as California? Really? I'm not saying your worng I'm just saying we are all trying to stay based in a more realistic frame of mind. Just because seomthing is possible, or even has happened at some point in the past doesn't mean it is likely.

People win millions in the lottery every week, but it doesn't mean I expect to win. Which is why nobody should plan on seeing the lights from a cruise ship in the Inside Passsage, let alone California. If you do or did, then great, but in terms of advice, which is what the OP is asking for, don't plan on it.

Hate to rain on your parade, but your chance of seeing the Northern Lights in any summer month are slim to none. I've lived further north for years and have seen them only once...and that was in February.

If your goal in life is to see the Auroras, visit Fairbanks in the winter. And bring a fur coat! ;)

I second this statement. I spent 3 days in Fairbanks and 4 days in Chena Hot Springs last winter and saw aurora almost every night.

However, your recommendation to bring a fur coat is insufficient. Bring a down coat; bring a layer that you can wear under your down coat; bring thermal undershirts and long johns; bring the heaviest gloves you can buy and also bring liners for the gloves; bring really heavy socks and liners for the socks; bring really warm boots; bring chemical hand warmers for your feet and for your hands; bring a hat and face cover that has openings for you eyes, nose and mouth and nothing that.

If you don't have this stuff, the best thing to do is go to Rays Sporting Goods in Fairbanks when you arrive and they will sell you everything that you need.

With all that, if you are up on the mountain at Chena Hot Springs and it is -20 or colder with a good wind blowing, you will still be cold.

You will be having the time of your life but you will still be cold.

DON

I second this statement. I spent 3 days in Fairbanks and 4 days in Chena Hot Springs last winter and saw aurora almost every night.

However, your recommendation to bring a fur coat is insufficient. Bring a down coat; bring a layer that you can wear under your down coat; bring thermal undershirts and long johns; bring the heaviest gloves you can buy and also bring liners for the gloves; bring really heavy socks and liners for the socks; bring really warm boots; bring chemical hand warmers for your feet and for your hands; bring a hat and face cover that has openings for you eyes, nose and mouth and nothing that.

If you don't have this stuff, the best thing to do is go to Rays Sporting Goods in Fairbanks when you arrive and they will sell you everything that you need.

With all that, if you are up on the mountain at Chena Hot Springs and it is -20 or colder with a good wind blowing, you will still be cold.

You will be having the time of your life but you will still be cold.

DON

AND, sleep all day and stay up all night. :)

As far South as California? Really? I'm not saying your worng I'm just saying we are all trying to stay based in a more realistic frame of mind. Just because seomthing is possible, or even has happened at some point in the past doesn't mean it is likely.

People win millions in the lottery every week, but it doesn't mean I expect to win. Which is why nobody should plan on seeing the lights from a cruise ship in the Inside Passsage, let alone California. If you do or did, then great, but in terms of advice, which is what the OP is asking for, don't plan on it.

As soon as I posted what I posted, and you can Google it if you don't believe me, I just knew somebody would take issue with what I said since I probably didn't say it well enough. I didn't mean to say it was likely to see them in California. I was saying that it's for sure possible to see them in California. And was saying that it's not true that a cruise ship isn't far enough North to see them. A ship cruising the Inside Passage is far enough North on any part of that cruise to see the Northern Lights. :)

I know that even in September the chances of seeing the Northern Lights is still very very slim. I saw them in southern Idaho around 15 years ago. They are spectacular and I'd love to see them again. My DH has never seen them and would love to. While it's on our top ten list, we know, even in September, the chances of seeing them are slim, though I believe our chances are the best in September (even if they're still slim!) So, I'd wondered what other people's experiences were. Thank you everyone for your input! Now we just have to decide if that really slim chance is worth it to us over the chance for better weather!

Sarah

As soon as I posted what I posted, and you can Google it if you don't believe me, I just knew somebody would take issue with what I said since I probably didn't say it well enough. I didn't mean to say it was likely to see them in California. I was saying that it's for sure possible to see them in California. And was saying that it's not true that a cruise ship isn't far enough North to see them. A ship cruising the Inside Passage is far enough North on any part of that cruise to see the Northern Lights. :)

They were visible in Minnesota earlier this year. It can happen. Last year at McKinley Princess they had been visible for several days prior and during out visit. The hotel calls to alert you at night.

Archived