Cruise Packing Tips?

I buy the gallon size regular ziplock bags for dirty laundry. If you zip it most of the way, then roll it from the bottom to squash it flat, and then finish zipping it it is very flat and airtight so it won't smell up the rest of the clothes. You can then put them into the cubes. They are handy for damp swimsuits, etc. Once we had rain the day before we came home and had lots of damp clothing and they were great to have. I also tear the little perfumed papers from magazines and save. I can put those in the drawers and in the dirty laundry bags.

1. lay out all of the clothing you think you will need. take away half of the clothing and three quarters of the shoes. then pack.

2. non-clothing items are the most important, as they are the most difficult to do without. forget to bring an extra shirt? have one cleaned or buy one in port. forget to bring a camera battery charger? you may be out of luck.

3. pack a highlighter. they are super convenient for highlighting your cruise ship daily.

4. the only things you REALLY need are a credit card and a passport. all other things can be done without or purchased. so don't stress!

5. don't pack for the worst case scenario--you'll end up bringing too much.

6. the one exception to #5 above--ladies--bring feminine hygiene products even if you don't think you'll need them. TRUST ME. there's nothing worse than being in port in bermuda for three days with all of the ship's shops closed and needing something. TRUST ME.

Excellent suggestions! I especially agree that most people pack twice as much as they need!

Unfortunately, the inexperienced traveler will read your post and ignore it because they need to learn it first-hand that they packed waaaaaaay too much! :D

I've been thinking about getting these packing cubes. Do you fold your shirts in half or thirds before rolling? Don't they still wrinkle? How do you pack dirty clothes on the return trip (if like me you prefer to not spend vacation time doing laundry)? I wouldn't want to put dirty shirts in the cubes ...

Best tip is the packing cubes. I have them in all shapes and sizes (Ebags, Rei, LLbean...but my favorite are the Rick Steves cubes--they seem to hold the most. Extra-Large ones for pants so they are folded fewer times. Shirts can be rolled or folded to fit the cube. Love my packing cubes!

Dirty clothes: (we do wash some underwear and shirts if it's a long trip)--or get it washed on board --in China they washed and ironed a big bag full for $5)----I prefer to use the plastic zippered bags that blankets and sheets are sold in. When I come home I spray the inside of the bags with Lysol and hang inside/out to dry. Re-usuable for the next trip. Have used extra large ziplocs but sometimes the zipper/closure doesn't seal and air/odor leaks out!

EVERYTHING in the suitcase is in a packing cube or ziploc. No loose items. Not as much of a problem when cruising but our last trip included 9 overnights--having everything "in it's place" was so helpful.

I take my headlamp instead of a flashlight. If there were an emergency, I'd like to have both my hands free. When there isn't an emergency, the headlamp can be used at night when reading.

I have a small linen closet at home where all my travel-related junk goes - the alarm clock, the Go Toobs, the binoculars, the inflatable headrest and foot cushion, the dual-voltage travel power strip, adapters,locks, things like that, and my travel books and maps. When I have a trip, I'll start pulling out those things that I know I want for the trip. I can always buy forgotten toiletries or some clothes on the road, but it's harder to find those forgotten specialty items.

I get out the camera, iPod and stuff a week before. Double-check that I have enough batteries and memory cards. Match up cables to hardware. If I'm going to be driving, make sure I have the car adaptor for the iPad or iPod.

Once I have all the hard goods, then I'll work on clothes. I'm pretty minimal, so usually whatever I've been wearing lately will get packed, plus my trusty LBD.

Oh, always duct tape and a bandana. Both can be used for so many things!!! Bandanas can become headgear, cooling clothes, purses, produce/fruit carriers, first aid wrap/splint/sling (done that one!!!)....And, we all that duct tape can fix a myriad of things!!!

I love packing & have studied it extensively. Lol.

I like to use the bundle method. I bundle pack into a packing cube. I lay out the cube to get the measurement just right. Works likes charm.

http://www.onebag.com/pack.html

http://www.redoxx.com/assets/images/pdf/redoxxwrap.pdf

I´ve made a card board template the size of the packing cube and use that for folding t shirts etc so they fit the cubes perfectly

I´ve also made a couple of the packing folders, similar to these (http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-folder-15/d/1090) which I use for my version of bundle packing

Sandy in Spain

Someone posted this somewhere in these forums and I pack this way all the time...very few wrinkles.

I will put the things that go in the bottom of the suitcase id a travel "vacuum" bag, and make it very flat then put shoes around the perimeter.

We are off to Alaska, and each have all our clothing in a carry on, then are bringing a checked bag to put stuff we could do without if the bag got lost..tripod, 12 pack diet coke(getting in the day of cruise..no time to shop), travel mugs, duct tape, flashlights etc.

We wear our clunkiest shoes, and will wear our fleece. DH will also wear his sport coat.

Someone posted this somewhere in these forums and I pack this way all the time...very few wrinkles.

I will put the things that go in the bottom of the suitcase id a travel "vacuum" bag, and make it very flat then put shoes around the perimeter.

We are off to Alaska, and each have all our clothing in a carry on, then are bringing a checked bag to put stuff we could do without if the bag got lost..tripod, 12 pack diet coke(getting in the day of cruise..no time to shop), travel mugs, duct tape, flashlights etc.

We wear our clunkiest shoes, and will wear our fleece. DH will also wear his sport coat.

Keeping in mind that I am a positively ANAL cruise planner, I'll give you my less-than-scientific approach.

I start with my itinerary, including the activities I have planned for each port of call.

For example: Day 1, Catamaran Snorkeling Excursion - I'll need a bathing suit, shorts/shirt, sandals, snorkel gear, underwater camera, back-pack, sunscreen, excursion tickets, sun hat. When I return to the ship, it will be formal night - dress, dress shoes, dress purse. I probably won't want to stay in formal clothes all night, so I'll need a fresh outfit for the evening.

I do this for each day of the cruise. It helps me to remember the specific items I'll need (waterproof camera, snorkel gear, etc.). It also helps me to avoid forgetting clothing articles (jewelry or shoes to wear with that formal dress, belt that goes with that skirt, etc.)

I assign appropriate clothes for each day. I adjust the list frequently. For example, I may see the activities list posted by recent passenger on my intended cruise and alter my clothing plan accordingly.

OH...Wednesday night is 70s night or Caribbean Night. Scrap the dinner outfit I'd intended and replace it with something that coordinates with the THEME.

I always toss in a couple extra t-shirts, just in case.

Taking it a step further, I also determine how much cash I anticipate needing at each port of call and put it into little bank envelopes, labeled with the port name. I include s many singles/small bills as I think I may need for tips. It keeps me from having to do those calculations each morning in an excited rush to disembark. I also list the items to bring ashore at each port. Ever end up on an excursion and realize you forgot your waterproof camera or the instructions about where to meet your tour guide?

I don't ignore the travel days! Oh no! If I did, I might forget to pack my passport, airline tickets, airplane snack foods, hotel reservations, cruise documents...

I always make sure I have at least 3-4 days worth of clothes in my CARRY-ON bag, just in case my luggage doesn't make it. I HOPE it will catch up to me at least sometime during the cruise. (No way to pack formal clothes in the carry-on without wrinkling, but I do manage everything else.)

Yeah...it's insane. I admit to my mental defect! For me, the process forces me to imagine each day - over and over - ostensibly for the purposes of not forgetting anything. Maybe it's equally about living my vacation vicariously in advance!!!

Hello...my name is printingchick, and I'm an extreme cruise addict!!!:p

This is brilliant!

Cool. Me too. I have posted it a couple of times. But yeah, love the bundle method. I have found it to be the most efficient.

I love packing & have studied it extensively. Lol.

I like to use the bundle method. I bundle pack into a packing cube. I lay out the cube to get the measurement just right. Works likes charm.

http://www.onebag.com/pack.html

http://www.redoxx.com/assets/images/pdf/redoxxwrap.pdf

Bundle packing is fine if you are going to one destination adn staying there. It's real pain if you are stopping at a different place each night, as you have eot undo the whole bundle to get out what you need for the next day.

I've used both methods and still do, according to my travel itinerary.

Nothing will spoil a cruise faster than sore feet or a blister. To avoid that I always pack TWO pair of walking shoes because even the most comfy shoes can make your feet sore when you wear them day after day especially on port intensive cruises. By taking two pair I can switch them out from day to day and that way I'm less likely to ever have foot problems. It has always been well worth the additional weight in my luggage. I also take a moleskin/blister kit. The second I notice any sore spot on my foot I apply a protective moleskin. Better to prevent a blister than try to heal one.

Bundle packing is fine if you are going to one destination adn staying there. It's real pain if you are stopping at a different place each night, as you have eot undo the whole bundle to get out what you need for the next day.

I've used both methods and still do, according to my travel itinerary.

For multi-destination travel, just pack your bundles by day, not by item of clothing. I'll usually put two outfits in each bundle including underclothes and pjs. I agree having to unbundle for one shirt would be a pain.

For multi-destination travel, just pack your bundles by day, not by item of clothing. I'll usually put two outfits in each bundle including underclothes and pjs. I agree having to unbundle for one shirt would be a pain.

Exactly what I was thinking. Making smaller bundles always helps with that dilemma.

After trying all methods of packing I finally settled in on folders and cubes. With them I can easily make changes as I pack or at any other time for that matter. When I get to the cruise the folders and cubes go directly in drawers or closet. I either hand wash clothing or have them laundered by the ship and when clean they go back where they came from. When it comes time to repack all I have to do is put these packing aids back in the suitcase.

Shak

Good in theory, but not practical for me. Often, what I wear depends on what the weather is like. Since I can't predict that, I often have to choose my clothes on the morning of each day.

For multi-desstination holidays (I am often travelling for up to a month and sometimes to different climates) I now use 3 packing cubes:

One for short-sleeved tops;

One for long-sleeved tops and formal wear;

One for trousers and shorts.

I've made a template ths size of the packing cubes - that helps me fold the clothes to fit. Clothes get re-folded and packed again as I go. The packing cubes stop them moving around and they are usually surprisingly uncreased.

Underwear, socks etc get stuffed into shoes.

I wash "smalls" myself and send other garments to the laundry when necessary. Doing this, I need no more luggage for a long trip than for one week away.

For

After trying all methods of packing I finally settled in on folders and cubes. With them I can easily make changes as I pack or at any other time for that matter. When I get to the cruise the folders and cubes go directly in drawers or closet. I either hand wash clothing or have them laundered by the ship and when clean they go back where they came from. When it comes time to repack all I have to do is put these packing aids back in the suitcase.

Shak

I agree with your method. I use the zip locks for almost everything. They even come in 5 gallon sizes. Unpacking takes about 5 minutes. Packing on the last day is a nothing, since I have very few dirty clothes and they are in the extra zip lock bags I carry. No sense wasting part of my cruise unpacking and packing. I love the wash and fold service. Much less to wash when I get home.

Archived