Cruise Packing Tips?

Great packing tips! I second the lady who mentioned not to forget feminine products, even if you don't think you will need them.

And a third from me for a totally different reason - one of the gentleman in our group had started a new med and found out, too late, that it caused incontinence problems. His wife mentioned it and all the ladies gathered pad supplies ... embarrassing at first to the gentleman but saved a lot of embarrassment in the long run and allowed him to partake in all the shore excursions

I always bring a flashlight but from my experience with camping instead of a plug in nightlight or battery operated light I use the snaplights...they use no electricity and last 8 to 12 hours depending on which type you buy in the morning you simply throw it away. I buy them for .50 each so they aren't very expensive.

Also I use the removable 3M hooks on the back of the bathroom door or where ever else I need one. They don't damage the walls/doors and you simply remove them when you are done.

For women, choose a color theme for all your clothing, and stick to it. This will allow you to mix and match clothing items with each other and use all of them more than once. For me, the three possible themes are navy blue, black or brown, and I choose and stick to one of these foundation colors only. For example, say I choose black for a foundation. That means everything I pack must go with black - and it pretty much eliminates anything from the navy blue or brown families. The black-white-grey top I bring to wear with my long black skirt can then reappear another time with my white capris or a short grey skirt, and so on. Of course I can bring clothes in other colors, even bright ones, but only colors that will go with the foundation color (red, hot pink and turquoise come to mind in this case).

This really cuts down on the time I spend choosing what to bring - if it doesn't work with my theme, it doesn't come on my trip. If it doesn't work with the other things I've chosen, it doesn't go on my trip. And it means I don't ever have to wear exactly the same combination twice, but I always look pulled-together.

I like to pack all my clothes in the 2 1/2 gallon plastic bags to help keep them dry and organized. You can fit several t-shirts or a couple pairs of pants in each bag. If your suitcase happens to be on the tarmac or at the pier in the rain, your clothes won't get wet. I even spray my soft-sided luggage with Scotchgard for added protection from the elements.

1. lay out all of the clothing you think you will need. take away half of the clothing and three quarters of the shoes. then pack.

This is the stage I'm at now, but I always seem to overpack anyway!!! I'm going to see how it goes this time. Besides cash/credit cards and passport, the next most important thing to me is a power strip!!!

Post it note or pad of paper and pen - we left a tip for our cabin steward each day with a note.

Don't need hangars - plenty of them, glad I didn't pack any.

Brought a hanging bathroom type bag and hung it in the closet.

Only brought two pair of shoes - sandals and sneakers

a few pairs of shorts, and two pairs of jeans

casual tops and bathing suits

(still overpacked I think)

Pride of America is a very casual ship so no need to dress up unless you want to

I also brought a multi plug type outlet (a travel size one) could plug several items in it to one outlet

Another idea which I got from this board - each port I had a separate folder with my info, reservations, etc.. so everything was organized. For example one folder I marked Kauai and had our reservations for our excursions and the luau - other ports we had a rental car so I put that info in that port's folder.

I actually find that it takes me longer to pack if I am only taking a carry on. The editing part takes me more time than just throwing everything I might need into a bigger suitcase.

I do use the 2 gallon zip lock bags to keep things organized.

I found this website here on cruise critic. It's a perfect way to illustrate the mix and match strategy and is really a well done blog. http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/

I also like this slide show from a flight attendant: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html

As for the lifehacker video, I think it is great. All the extras that people talk about, toiletries, hair appliances, binoculars, etc can be added to a tote!

Unfortunately, when we cruise I don't follow my own advice! We like the 14 day cruises and it's nice to have the little extras that make a cabin work more efficiently. Portable DVD player to sleep to (I know, weird), power strip, overdoor hanger to contain sunglasses, sunscreen, 1$ bills for tips, wallets, playing cards, hair brushes, etc. I hate clutter on the limited counter top space!:rolleyes:

I come at it a little differently; I start with the bag. I have two bags, one 24 inch and one smaller one and a few totes. I determine which bag is appropriate, or which combination of bags will work, and what I'm willing to carry. I first pack only the essentials, then add anything and everything that will fit. Lists don't work for me so much, since I don't have a very linear way of thinking. So, I sort of "Zen" my way through it. Contemplation and intuition. Examine and re-examine til it feels right. Tips I've used that help: coordinating color schemes, hanging everything up so you can see it all, matching up what you wear with your planned activites times the number of days, etc., small-sized toiletries. I don't carry very much "just in case" except OTC medicines and then I only take a very few of each instead of the whole package. I'm usually about 75 to 85% on the mark, and everything else can be bought or done without. Things I've forgotten and had to buy: socks, an exfoliater for my skin. Things I did without: a robe, and extra swimsuit, extra anything. In Alaska my feet were wet a lot but that's not because I forgot waterproof shoes, I refused to buy them since I have no other use for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Roll socks and other underwear and put them inside your shoes (I have all my running clothes inside the running shoes -spares a ton of space).

Stuffing your shoes helps to keep their shape, but any extra undies and socks can be packed in the outer pockets of the suitcase which are often underutilized anyways. (Just pack the good stuff inside. :p)

Try to choose clothing that travels well such as crinkle cotton and isn't high maintenance such a smooth linen, unless you are prepared to pay the price to send it out for pressing. As well, choosing patterned or darker coloured clothing travels better than a lighter, solid wardrobe. One person I know always wears "coffee" coloured clothing on flights after one too many accidents, but a patterned outfit can be just as forgiving.

As a reformed overpacker I have come to realize that I really didn't need all of those extra "just in case" items that I used to pack. It didn't happen overnight and it took several trips taking a bit less each time until I realized that it wasn't a hardship travelling without all the extras. You can always spot clean something or send it out to the laundry if needed and if you wear something for an hour or two in the evening, you can wear it again another day. Travelling with just carryon has been liberating. No putting out your luggage the night before, your luggage arrives when you do and there is no waiting with bated breath at the luggage carousel hoping that your suitcase arrives undamaged, if at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Keeping in mind that I am a positively ANAL cruise planner, I'll give you my less-than-scientific approach.

I start with my itinerary, including the activities I have planned for each port of call.

For example: Day 1, Catamaran Snorkeling Excursion - I'll need a bathing suit, shorts/shirt, sandals, snorkel gear, underwater camera, back-pack, sunscreen, excursion tickets, sun hat. When I return to the ship, it will be formal night - dress, dress shoes, dress purse. I probably won't want to stay in formal clothes all night, so I'll need a fresh outfit for the evening.

I do this for each day of the cruise. It helps me to remember the specific items I'll need (waterproof camera, snorkel gear, etc.). It also helps me to avoid forgetting clothing articles (jewelry or shoes to wear with that formal dress, belt that goes with that skirt, etc.)

I assign appropriate clothes for each day. I adjust the list frequently. For example, I may see the activities list posted by recent passenger on my intended cruise and alter my clothing plan accordingly.

OH...Wednesday night is 70s night or Caribbean Night. Scrap the dinner outfit I'd intended and replace it with something that coordinates with the THEME.

I always toss in a couple extra t-shirts, just in case.

Taking it a step further, I also determine how much cash I anticipate needing at each port of call and put it into little bank envelopes, labeled with the port name. I include s many singles/small bills as I think I may need for tips. It keeps me from having to do those calculations each morning in an excited rush to disembark. I also list the items to bring ashore at each port. Ever end up on an excursion and realize you forgot your waterproof camera or the instructions about where to meet your tour guide?

I don't ignore the travel days! Oh no! If I did, I might forget to pack my passport, airline tickets, airplane snack foods, hotel reservations, cruise documents...

I always make sure I have at least 3-4 days worth of clothes in my CARRY-ON bag, just in case my luggage doesn't make it. I HOPE it will catch up to me at least sometime during the cruise. (No way to pack formal clothes in the carry-on without wrinkling, but I do manage everything else.)

Yeah...it's insane. I admit to my mental defect! For me, the process forces me to imagine each day - over and over - ostensibly for the purposes of not forgetting anything. Maybe it's equally about living my vacation vicariously in advance!!!

Hello...my name is printingchick, and I'm an extreme cruise addict!!!:p

OMG! I'm just like you. I do exactly the same as you. I have a spreadsheet where I put the day, the excursions if any, and what clothes, shoes, jewellery I will need for the day. Add a couple of extra t's and an extra pair of shorts and I have the packing done in less than an hour!

Besides all the good suggestions of what to bring, I would add a tube of Super glue.

My way of packing our suitcase makes unpacking easy. In the bottom of our large suitcase I put all of our pants and slacks in a stack of 4 or 5 pairs; then fold the entire stack in half. Do the same thing with 4 or 5 more pairs. Next, I put all my husband's shirts buttoned up on hangers, (the kind from the dry cleaners with the paper cover). I put all my tops and blouses on hangers as well. Lay a stack of 6 or 7 shirts out flat on top of the pants (on the hangers) pull all the sleeves out so they are stacked. too. Now fold the bottoms of the shirts up so they fit in the suitcase, fold the sleeves over the center and fold the coat hangers down toward the chest. Do the same thing with the next stack of shirts. Be sure to use the adjustable straps inside the suitcase to hold the clothes in place. You can tuck socks and underwear around the outside edges to fill in the spaces. When you unpack just give each shirt a good shake on its hanger before placing it in the closet, put the pants on hangers and you're done. Few, if any wrinkles, without all that folding!

I always buy a plastic folder or envelope, 8"x11"(buy at Walmart)and put all the things I want to save from the cruise. I label it with the ship's name, date of cruise, cabin#,etc. This keeps all my memories from each cruise separate.

Excellent tip! The plastic envelope just went on my shopping list!!! :D

If you wear glasses, bring your case to put your glasses in at the beach. Saves the lenses from getting scratched.

Bring a back pack when you go into port. Keeps your hands free from carrying all the stuff you purchase on shore.

I've seen people post about writing down what they forgot to bring and write it down. I always make a list of things to bring, then when we get home, mark down what we didn't use. After a couple of cruises, it makes it easier to bring just what you really need.

I second the over the door shoe hanger. Our first cruise was with our 2 teens, so there were 4 in our cabin. The shoe hanger held lots of stuff-toothpaste, brushes, meds, sunscreen, glass cases etc. Have taken it to the beach, and Disney. I wont travel without it now. It really keeps things in an orderly manner.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for great advice!

Now, after our 1st ever cruise, I'd say the most useful tips were:

1. An electrical extension cord - let us charge camera batteries/phones/use my iPod player/plug in the kettle all at the same time.

2. a fridge magnet to place the daily newspaper where its easily visible/reachable

3. the travel iPod player...we could have our music on when getting ready for the evening

And yes, of course I overpacked, but since we were a 2 hour drive from embarcation, it really didn't matter. Hubby spent the week asking all the ladies how many shoes they'd brought....no-one beat my total of 10 pairs for a 7 day cruise!

Happy Cruising!

Depends on the trip, but if I am going on a colder land based vacation, I pack all black. I have done 18 and 21 days in China, Tibet and Nepal with only carry-on luggage (less than 22 pound total!).

Cruises are a little different. I tend to pack a bit more clothing...:)

I start with a big Travel Box in the spare bedroom.

Fill it with things that always go on trips and anything new I buy.

I take 2 or 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags.

Underwear in one - this gets dumped into a drawer.

The bag stays in the drawer and then the "used" underwear goes back into the empty bag daily.

(its all packed and ready to go on the last day)

I use the others for sweaters - so they don't get pulled by something in the suitcase.

The 2.5 gallon one holds all the paperwork you want to keep.

Kids outfits go into a ziplock bag. All you have to do is pick a bag and everything is there.

You can put all jeans or shorts into one bag, all shirts, etc.

or a shorter trip, put one complete outfit in a seperate one.

I mostly take travel clothes that don't wrinkle and can be mixed and matched.

Formal skirts and tops get rolled and placed into:

13032_9_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=140&wid=140&align=0,1

I also take one of these - one side for jewelry, one side for toiletries, etc. It goes in last and on top...then just pull it out and hang it in your room.

2211986903p?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holdnstorage.com%2Fimages%2F15337.JPG&d=695c193a2a7b2269b3d7e9efc38a3af13e02595e

Archived