Cruise Packing Tips?

OMG! I'm just like you. I do exactly the same as you. I have a spreadsheet where I put the day, the excursions if any, and what clothes, shoes, jewellery I will need for the day. Add a couple of extra t's and an extra pair of shorts and I have the packing done in less than an hour!

I've done this too! I started a packing list back in May with the outfits DH and I would wear during the day, and at dinner, and made the actual packing list from that. This was also helpful to figure out what we had to buy for the cruise so it wasn't one huge expense a couple weeks before we went.

Just because we're uber planners does not mean we need to relax people! For us, the planning is half the fun!

Some tips that I'll be using that I've picked up from the boards...

-Make sure you bring, or pack something in gallon sized ziploc bags, they come in handy when packing up your wet bathing suit on the last night.

-Ladies, bring hair conditioner!!

-Keep the over the door shoe rack at home unless you have 4 people in your cabin

-Bring Stain Stick or Shout Wipes, that way the ketchup/chocolate/coffee/etc you got on your shirt on embarkation day is being pre-treated rather than sitting for a week.

-Bring a pop up hamper or mesh laundry bag to put dirty clothes in, it makes packing the last night a breeze!

-Make your own first aid kit from items at the dollar store, so much cheaper than buying meds on board!

-Also don't forget your sense of humor or your manners! :D

I've also put together a 1" binder with a zip up pencil pouch for the cruise. In the pencil pouch I've got pens, a highlighter, and zip ties for luggage tags. The binder has all of our confirmations, boarding passes, hotel information, directions, and shore excursion information. It also has some blank sheet covers in there so I have a place to put the Carnival Fun Times!

Yes, I'm an uber planner! I've had a great time planning this cruise, and I can't wait to go on it!

After reading through many reviews one thing comes to mind the most. Many commented on leaving on a rainy day and having their checked luggage set out in the rain, soaking everything inside, before it is loaded on board. I plan to line my suitcases with some kind of barrier in case this happens to me :) I sure wouldn't want to spend my first night in line for the laundry!

I will pack clean kitchen trash bags around my clothing when I have to check baggage just for this reason. Then when it is time to come home, I use those trash bags as laundry bags. I sort the clothes by color/wash and within 5 minutes of crossing my threshold at home, I have my first load of laundry running!

Taking it a step further, I also determine how much cash I anticipate needing at each port of call and put it into little bank envelopes, labeled with the port name. I include s many singles/small bills as I think I may need for tips. It keeps me from having to do those calculations each morning in an excited rush to disembark. I also list the items to bring ashore at each port. Ever end up on an excursion and realize you forgot your waterproof camera or the instructions about where to meet your tour guide?

I love this idea!

We NEVER take home used underwear. We wash underwear daily and hang to dry in the bathroom. This also works for Tshirts. The very thought of taking home dirty laundry...yeuk

Sandy in Spain

My personal faves-

Wear heavy items when I fly-not in my weighed bag

Always bring Downy Wrinkle Releaser spray

Fashion tape and mini sewing kit

A journal with plenty of pages to write events/highlights of each day

Flashlight

Dawn dish liquid-just a bit-takes only a drop or two to remove stains

Tip coins(gold dollars) to use at bars/for room service, etc. Crew members always seem to enjoy having them to take to family at home.

Candy made in the town where we live for crew/fellow travelers

Small packing tube when I go somewhere I may want to buy "art" on the street. Makes it so much easier to get it home safely.

Dental 1st aid kit. Don't want to be without that crown for all the photos on formal night or have a son with bloody lip for lack of wax.

I tie the same easy to spot ribbon on every item we carry. You know, luggage, cameras, purse, backpacks. All of it!

I wear fabrics that can be worn slightly wrinkled-think lovely, soft linen.

I keep a plastic tote with many of the items I will want stashed in a closet in the guest room.

Only clothes that go with black shoes.

Take a photo at the start of each day with the day/date and name of port or where you are if sea day.

Happy Sailing!

My personal faves-

Wear heavy items when I fly-not in my weighed bag

Always bring Downy Wrinkle Releaser spray

Fashion tape and mini sewing kit

A journal with plenty of pages to write events/highlights of each day

Flashlight

Dawn dish liquid-just a bit-takes only a drop or two to remove stains

Tip coins(gold dollars) to use at bars/for room service, etc. Crew members always seem to enjoy having them to take to family at home.

Candy made in the town where we live for crew/fellow travelers

Small packing tube when I go somewhere I may want to buy "art" on the street. Makes it so much easier to get it home safely.

Dental 1st aid kit. Don't want to be without that crown for all the photos on formal night or have a son with bloody lip for lack of wax.

I tie the same easy to spot ribbon on every item we carry. You know, luggage, cameras, purse, backpacks. All of it!

I wear fabrics that can be worn slightly wrinkled-think lovely, soft linen.

I keep a plastic tote with many of the items I will want stashed in a closet in the guest room.

Only clothes that go with black shoes.

Take a photo at the start of each day with the day/date and name of port or where you are if sea day.

Happy Sailing!

I love the gold coin idea, I have also heard of people using $2 bills as well.

My personal faves-......snip

Small packing tube when I go somewhere I may want to buy "art" on the street. Makes it so much easier to get it home safely....snip

Happy Sailing!

Oh how I wish I´d done this on our last cruise in Italy!! How big is the one you take?

Sandy in Spain

Please don't take the gold coin or the $2 bill. These are basically considered useless tips. No one can spend them. When was the last time you got a $2 bill? Other countries don't want them. They think they are fake. I was in Australia and our bus driver asked me if they were real because someone had given him one as a tip and his bank wouldn't take it. Other countries, like the US, don't want foreign coins so they are unspendable.

Of course the crew member smiles. That's his job. If he sneered at you, you'd be offended and complain and he'd lose his job. So he smiles. Single dollar bills are the way to go every time.

Please don't take the gold coin or the $2 bill. These are basically considered useless tips. No one can spend them. When was the last time you got a $2 bill? Other countries don't want them. They think they are fake. I was in Australia and our bus driver asked me if they were real because someone had given him one as a tip and his bank wouldn't take it. Other countries, like the US, don't want foreign coins so they are unspendable.

Of course the crew member smiles. That's his job. If he sneered at you, you'd be offended and complain and he'd lose his job. So he smiles. Single dollar bills are the way to go every time.

Wow! I'm glad you replied. I also thought the dollar coin was a neat idea.

On another note...you gave me an idea for another problem I was trying to resolve. To save suitcase space and avoid having shelves full of trinkets from everywhere I have been, years ago I began buying smashed pennies when I travel. Many destinations do not have penny smashers and I was trying to figure out another idea just as easy. I could just get some foreign currency from wherever I am at to add to my penny box :)

Years ago - which means I don't know if they still do - the ship had a big bowl of coins on the counter from various ports. The idea was you did an exchange. Say someone just needed one coin for Greece and didn't want get more change then they would need. You took one of those. On the other hand, if you had left over coins that you were never going to spend you threw them into the jar. I met a guy who did magic tricks and needed three identical coins in good condition and that's how he got them. It won't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the tip. I usually use them in the USA. Lots of people here know what they are, but some still don't.

The crew members are always so polite, and smile when we tip them for all the little "included" things they do for us.

Oh how I wish I´d done this on our last cruise in Italy!! How big is the one you take?

Sandy in Spain[/quote

I have several, but usually take one about as long as my suitcase. I use it to pack socks, roll DH's ties or whatever then use it for my "priceless" art purchases on the return trip.

Also used empty oatmeal containers for 1st aid kit, ect. going and small breakables coming home. You can just trash them if they aren't needed for that leg of the trip.

We NEVER take home used underwear. We wash underwear daily and hang to dry in the bathroom. This also works for Tshirts. The very thought of taking home dirty laundry...yeuk

Sandy in Spain

The very thought of hand washing my underwear every day in my cabin..Yuk:(. I'm on vacation!

After reading many reviews about people using "packing cubes" I bought some for my last cruise. Wow, they really work! We were able to take all the clothes I wanted and still had too much room left in the suitcases! I do see how people could use a carry on only with these.

You roll your clothes and then put them in there. They help hold the clothes in place so they do not get as wrinkled. I would fit 7 XL shirts in a large one and they took up the space of about 10" x 15" by 2 inches deep.

When unpacking it was so easy, I just pulled them out of the suitcase and hung up some stuff but most just left in the cube in the drawer. It made unpacking and storage in the room so much neater.

Some people said they get different colors for each family member and then the kids know where to find their own clothes. So many neat uses for these if you are real organized. (I am not usually so I really like how they helped me to be)

The absolute best advice is only TAKE HALF OF THE CLOTHES YOU THINK YOU NEED!

The very thought of hand washing my underwear every day in my cabin..Yuk:(. I'm on vacation!

I don't like the idea of someone's dirty underwear being washed in the same sink used for washing faces, hands and teeth! Yuk!

If we wash out anything, we take it into the shower and wash it while showering. Especially, something like a bathing suit that could have sand in it. The sink is too small anyway.

Wow! I'm glad you replied. I also thought the dollar coin was a neat idea.

On another note...you gave me an idea for another problem I was trying to resolve. To save suitcase space and avoid having shelves full of trinkets from everywhere I have been, years ago I began buying smashed pennies when I travel. Many destinations do not have penny smashers and I was trying to figure out another idea just as easy. I could just get some foreign currency from wherever I am at to add to my penny box :)

smashing pennies????

smashing pennies????

Yes :) Smashing pennies :) I have found them to be my favorite souvenir yet. They only cost me .51 cents and I can fit them in my pocket or handbag with no worries of it getting broken or taking up too much space. I have wonderful memories attached to each of my smashed pennies and need nothing more. I do, however, purchase a few 'typical' souvenirs for my family to be given to them when I get home and I always buy myself a t-shirt from wherever I have been if they are available.

This is the web site I use to find where the penny smashers are located if I don't see one anywhere. If any travelers here can add a location to this site, it would be appreciated :) I don't plan to go to Dolphin Cove in Jamaica, and I would really like to smash a penny.

http://www.pennycollector.com/AreaList.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

SUCH GREAT TIPS!! I thought I was a pretty good packer but I just learned you CAN teach an old dog new (packing) tricks! LOL

One suggestion for anyone who wears eyeglasses (or even sunglasses) is to take an eyeglass repair kit with you! Nothing puts a damper on a cruise like a broken arm or lose lens on your glasses! On my very first cruise we were in the giftshop when a man came in holding his glasses in a couple pieces asking if they sold a kit. They didn't! Another customer offered to let him use his.

One other thing to save space......wherever I travel, my 'remembrance' is always a refrigerator magnet! Not too expensive, takes up practically no room in your luggage, and every time you look at it you will remember that trip. I know I do!

After reading many reviews about people using "packing cubes" I bought some for my last cruise. Wow, they really work! We were able to take all the clothes I wanted and still had too much room left in the suitcases! I do see how people could use a carry on only with these.

You roll your clothes and then put them in there. They help hold the clothes in place so they do not get as wrinkled. I would fit 7 XL shirts in a large one and they took up the space of about 10" x 15" by 2 inches deep.

When unpacking it was so easy, I just pulled them out of the suitcase and hung up some stuff but most just left in the cube in the drawer. It made unpacking and storage in the room so much neater.

Some people said they get different colors for each family member and then the kids know where to find their own clothes. So many neat uses for these if you are real organized. (I am not usually so I really like how they helped me to be)

The absolute best advice is only TAKE HALF OF THE CLOTHES YOU THINK YOU NEED!

I've been thinking about getting these packing cubes. Do you fold your shirts in half or thirds before rolling? Don't they still wrinkle? How do you pack dirty clothes on the return trip (if like me you prefer to not spend vacation time doing laundry)? I wouldn't want to put dirty shirts in the cubes ...

Loved reading through all these packing tips - I've learned quite a bit so thanks to all for the ideas!

I've been thinking about getting these packing cubes. Do you fold your shirts in half or thirds before rolling? Don't they still wrinkle? How do you pack dirty clothes on the return trip (if like me you prefer to not spend vacation time doing laundry)? I wouldn't want to put dirty shirts in the cubes ...

Loved reading through all these packing tips - I've learned quite a bit so thanks to all for the ideas!

What I did was lay a shirt on the packing cube and then folded in each side to make it about the size of the packing cube. None of the shirts I took were cotton that had to be ironed, I took knit and kind of slinky material for my dressy shirts. I started rolling at the neck lines so that if any part came unrolled or was not as tight it was the bottom. It worked well for me.

I´ve made a cardboard template (from a cornflakes packet) based on one of OH new shirt packaging. I use that as a template to fold shirts, I can then fold just as they are in the shop, which fit the cubes we use perfectly.(you could adjust the size of the card board to fit your cubes)

As for packing dirty shirts...well they´re not that dirty, and as OH wears them all,they get folded back the same way and put in the cube or you could fold them the same way and put them in a plastic bag

Sandy in Spain

Are pthee cubes that need a vacuum cleaner to seal? If so, what happens when you pack to go home?

I roll everything, putting slacks down first, at the end soft things, then roll and slip the whole thing into a (big) plastic shopping sack. I use a shoe box or something like that for all the loose items, toiletries, etc. It seems to work--if you use your fingers to smoothe things out as you go.

Archived