Akaroa - Athur's Pass excursion - TranzAlpine or other

chamima

Does anyone have any experience with excursions to Arthur's Pass from Akaroa?

We've been told this is magnificient to see but I can't find any private excursions and the Celebrity excursion is $350/pp. :eek:

The TranzAlpine website says you have to do it through the ship because of time.

Anyone??????

Does anyone have any experience with excursions to Arthur's Pass from Akaroa?

We've been told this is magnificient to see but I can't find any private excursions and the Celebrity excursion is $350/pp. :eek:

The TranzAlpine website says you have to do it through the ship because of time.

Anyone??????

That is correct. The TranzAlpine leaves early in the morning and climbs over the Southern Alps via Arthurs Pass to the West Coast. It then returns,getting back early evening by which time your ship will be long gone.

Thus special tours are arranged for cruise ships whereby you go as far as Arthurs Pass . You leave the train there and return by bus via a farm visit and more sightseeing.A country lunch is also usually included.

I am not sure about the extra distance to be covered from Akaroa to join the train , but I do know that some tour parties ,who do not make the early start , catch up with , and board the train at Darfield.

The Trans Alpine train leaves Christchurch at approximately 8.10 am travels through to Greymouth on the West Coast, stops for an hour, the train is cleaned and returns to Christchurch, arriving after 6 pm.

We did this journey last month.

As a cruise ship passenger you are best to do this excursion via your cruise line.

You will be collected at Akaroa, transported by bus to the train, which you will probably board at Rolleston.

After leaving the train at Arthurs Pass you will be transported by bus, with a lunch stop and returned to the ship.

Does anyone know of any tour operator who takes you to Arthur's Pass on an excursion that's NOT on the TranzAlpine?

(My daughter drove it a few years ago and said it was unbelievably beautiful but when we're on vacation I'd prefer someone else did the driving! ;) :D )

Does anyone know of any tour operator who takes you to Arthur's Pass on an excursion that's NOT on the TranzAlpine?

(My daughter drove it a few years ago and said it was unbelievably beautiful but when we're on vacation I'd prefer someone else did the driving! ;) :D )

Sorry I can't help you with the name of a tour operator.

Have you seen the website for Akaroa?

http://www.akaroa.com

Near the top of the page a picture of a cruise ship, clicking on that will open to a page of tours available.

chamina,

At the Akaroa website clicking on the "contact us " link, opens to a page with the contact e-mail address.

You may wish to send a message asking if they know of anyone who could help you.

Hi Chammia

Dont know of local tour operators in Akaroa. I have left Christchurch and driven out to Arthurs Pass, then onto Akaroa in one day last time in NZ. Unfortunately i have been unable to find a hire company in Akaroa, so maybe have to do the ships tour. Price is steep though but it is beautiful.

Caz

The sole reason you go to Arthurs Pass is because of the spectacular scenery seen only from the train . The Tranz Alpine is one of the worlds great train trips scenery wise and not to be missed . The train used by the cruise lines is a dedicated Tranz Alpine charter, and pax do not actually travel on the regular public scheduled TA train . So scroung up the money and take the Ships Excursion .

Also not to be missed out of Dunedin port, the trieri gorge railway round trip, departs and returs to wharf side .

Sorry I can't help you with the name of a tour operator.

Have you seen the website for Akaroa?

http://www.akaroa.com

Near the top of the page a picture of a cruise ship, clicking on that will open to a page of tours available.

chamina,

At the Akaroa website clicking on the "contact us " link, opens to a page with the contact e-mail address.

You may wish to send a message asking if they know of anyone who could help you.

Thanks erewhon!

I have sent off an email to the contact us link asking about private tour operators.

Please let us know the response to your e-mail.

Sure. I got this this morning:

Message flagged

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:56 AM

Hi Thanks for your email.

Akaroa is located aprrox 1.5 hrs from Christchurch/Rolleston where you would catch the train to travel up in to Arthurs pass.

The ships normaly set anchor at about 7am and the 1st tenders start to arrive in akaroa at about 8am.

We do have a few tour operators based in Christchurch that might private hire and take a group to meet the train and then meet you up in the pass to bring you back to Akaroa in time for your last tender. I will make enquirys for you and see what I can come up with. Most of the smaller operators prefer to run more local tour around the akaroa area or tours in to Christchurch, as the train/Arthurs pass is a very long day and they would hate for you to miss the last tenders back to the ship.

If their is a group of you how many would be interested as this will affect cost.

I'll get back to you soon.

Regards

Samantha

Akaroa Visitor Centre

80 Rue Lavaud

Akaroa 7520

Ph/Fax 64 3 304 8600

http://www.christchurchnz.com

It's starting to sound like we should either bite the (very expensive , $700+ U.S.) bullet or find something else to do in Akaroa.

you could try Jack jt@jtnztours.co.nz

Some of the scenery is obviously only visible from the train because it takes a different route but the road trip is just as spectacular. One is not better than the other just different. I've done both.

Thanks! I have emailed him.

The trip to Arthur's Pass was recommended to us by our daughter, who drove it so I know that the drive is beautiful. I didn't think I'd find anyone to drive and wasn't comfortable doing this route ourselves so just inquired about the train.

mrswhiskers,

Good to see you back, was hoping you would be able to offer a suggestion for chamina.

Yes, the road trip is just as good as the train trip,and an added benefit of the road trip is the ability to stop for photos.

Have you been away for your holiday?

We spend a week in Akaroa every February and we have watched the ships come and go. Akaroa is located 1.5 hours from Christchurch on a very twisty, mountain road. It's not an easy ride if you are not familiar with it. If it's raining, which is very common there, or if there is road works, it's even a harder ride to Christchurch.

You also have to know where to go because if you are going to go by yourself you do NOT go into Christchurch to get to the Pass (you will waste too much time).

If you go w/the train you can be gauranteed to get back to the ship on time. The ship will wait for one of its tours if they are late but will not wait for anyone else. If you drive yourself or even go w/a private driver and you do not get back to the ship in time you will have a long trip to the next stop. This is a long trip - no just a few hour drive.

Everyone thinks you can see New Zealand in a few days. It's not like that at all. In fact, in Feb. 2011, we were on the first ferry from Wellington to the south island the day after the earthquake hit Christchurch. The earthquake changed everything - anything associated w/Christchurch was put on hold and still has not recovered. Since that time there have been numerous earthquakes and the city is nothing like it used to be. The quaint harbor town of Lyttleton where ships used to dock was totally destroyed (which is why ships now go to Akaroa). Even the town of Akaroa was hit and a lot of buildings still remain damaged. (plus their famous fish shop burnt down a few months ago).

The train ride is designed specially for the scenry. If you drive you will be so stressed for time that you will not get to see the scenry. Also, if it's raining (very common on that road) the drive will not be pleasant. Plus there always seems to be road works everywhere which means you can be delayed even further.

Also, although the ship is supposed to dock at 7 AM, that is NOT a guarantee. I've been on many ships and half the time they have not arrived on time (some ports have even been changed at the last minute missing a port). Taking a small boat ashore sometimes is a pain because you have to wait for the boat to fill up - wasting a lot of time. Also, ship tours always go first on the boats ashore. If every minute is important you are really pushing it by driving.

Take the train w/the ship and return to NZ another time when you can drive. You will get to see a lot more of NZ that you can't see in a day too.

Jo Anne VG

Jo Anne is right. Arthur's Pass is one of the cruise excursions that should only be done as a ship sponsored trip. Their busses do not go into Christchurch, but pick up the train on its way to Arthur's Pass. And a bus will take you back from Arthur's Pass to Akaroa. I don't see how this could be done in a timely fashion on your own.

We picked up a local tour in Akaroa, very lovely and informative and nowhere near Arthur's Pass where it rained anyway when we were in Akaroa.

I beg to differ with Jo Anne. Lyttleton is not completely destroyed & the port is functioning. There is a restriction on the size of the cruise ships allowed in there at the moment & that restriction has been increased so some more ships are going back this season.

There is a lot of damage to both Christchurch & Lyttleton however people are getting on with fixing things up & I think next time you are there Jo Anne you will notice a big difference. The Antarctic Centre is still open & I suggest you have a look at http://www.christchurchnz.com to keep an eye on progress & what's available.

The tour guide I suggested is well aware of time restraints for tenders etc & is trustworthy. It is about 3 1/4hrs drive from Akaroa to Arthurs Pass.

Akaroa is a lovely destination with many options for activities & tours & also has spectacular scenery which is very different to Arthurs Pass.

Which ever you choose I hope you have a great day.

OP

We spent 5 days bushwalking in Arthur's Pass in January. Luckily we had fairly good weather for most of the time we were there and it is very scenic. However I think you could just as easily and enjoyably spend a day in Akaroa and Christchurch in the gardens and along the river at a huge saving.

You will still get to see Milford Sound and the fjords won't you? They are spectacular too.

I beg to differ with Jo Anne. Lyttleton is not completely destroyed & the port is functioning. There is a restriction on the size of the cruise ships allowed in there at the moment & that restriction has been increased so some more ships are going back this season.

There is a lot of damage to both Christchurch & Lyttleton however people are getting on with fixing things up & I think next time you are there Jo Anne you will notice a big difference. The Antarctic Centre is still open & I suggest you have a look at http://www.christchurchnz.com to keep an eye on progress & what's available.

The tour guide I suggested is well aware of time restraints for tenders etc & is trustworthy. It is about 3 1/4hrs drive from Akaroa to Arthurs Pass.

Akaroa is a lovely destination with many options for activities & tours & also has spectacular scenery which is very different to Arthurs Pass.

Which ever you choose I hope you have a great day.

Thank you so much for the recommendation!!!!

We look forward to a wonderful day with Jack!

We have found (I think! :D ) a third person to travel with us and , hopefully, bring down the cost a little.

And to paddingtonbear, yes, we will cruise the Sounds a couple of days after our trip to Akaroa but our daughter also did both and still said we should take the trip to Arthur's Pass if we could. I have been corresponding with Jack and trust that if the weather doesn't allow the trip into the "Alps" he will find something else for us!

Hi - I would sincerely urge you to do the cruise line based tour if you want to go to Arthurs Pass for a few reasons

A) it is a long day, and if anything goes wrong, you will be late back to Akaroa. The fact that the cruise organised tour takes you off the train part way through is a big indicator of the time involved, especially with the added Akaroa to CHCH travel required.

C) you want to see that scenery, and it is best from the train, which is a wonderful experience anyway.

D) there is no stress about being late and missing the ship.

What ever you do, Im sure you will love Akaroa / Christchurch / Canterbury. despite the damage done in recent times, it is a wonderful place with lots of things to do / see

Archived