quiet places on explorer?

Hi All,

This year my DH and I decided to do a cruise because we're just exhausted. Don't want to plan a vacation so cruising was the best option for us.

Hey, what's easier than taking a 40 minute cab ride, boarding and sailing away? Not much.

But, we're leaving 7/5/12 and I know there's going to be a ton of kids on the ship, we're fine with this, expect it.

Nonetheless, hoping some of you who have sailed on Explorer would share some of the quieter places on board.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

We like to sit in the Champagne Bar on the Promenade, or any of the lounges that aren't being used for activities at that moment, such as Maharajas.

The solarium is the best choice, but all the lounge chairs were taken before 8am on our last EX cruise.

Hi All,

This year my DH and I decided to do a cruise because we're just exhausted. Don't want to plan a vacation so cruising was the best option for us.

Hey, what's easier than taking a 40 minute cab ride, boarding and sailing away? Not much.

But, we're leaving 7/5/12 and I know there's going to be a ton of kids on the ship, we're fine with this, expect it.

Nonetheless, hoping some of you who have sailed on Explorer would share some of the quieter places on board.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Lots of places. Outside, deck 4 is great. Also, from deck 4, walk forward on the starboard side, up the steps, and onto the helipad.

Inside, most of the lounges are always vacant during the day. Another place during the day is the Viking Crown Lounge. Gives you a great view of the pools below, and I have never seen anyone there in the daytime.

There are pictures in my review, link is in my sig.

We love the Ex, and we love quiet spots for reading and watching the ocean. We use the Solarium, Dizzy's during the day, deck 4 promenade, the library, just to name a few. The Schooner bar in the daytime when no activities are on is also a nice spot, tucked away in a corner near a window.

Teddie

Outside, the helipad is quiet and very pleasant if its not too windy. Deck 4 is great, too. Inside, we love the viking crown lounge and the library. But my all time favorite is my balcony!

One idea... check the daily compass for activities. There will be times when some lounges and space are not being used.. Maharaja's on the front end of the Royal Promenade on deck 5 is often empty a good deal of the time.. ( they never open the curtains in there either... ) and so you could hide away in there... the Workout spaces in the gym are often vacant by midday and afternoon, or are very quiet otherwise.

There is ( was??) a space around the Aquarium Bar where they have ( or used to have) the science experiements.

and last but not least.. you just might get away with sneeaking your way into the dining room areas and finding a window seat to read from...

the outside of Deck 4 is a great area... amazing how many places there can be that not many go to, with so many people on a ship...

There are little pockets of private area around the Aquarium Bar. In some of the older deck plans it is listed as the ecology lab. It's inside and fairly quiet. But I do agree with above posters about the venues being used for activities, i.e. Schooner Bar for trivia, and the whim of your fellow cruisers. Seek and you will find.

Have a great cruise on a great ship.

In addition to all the places mentioned, the Conference Center area on deck 2 can be really deserted if there are no organized groups on board, which is less likely in the summer. Outside deck 4 is the best - people walk by, but it's really low key and the only kids you will see are playing shuffleboard.

Archived