At terminal and need help

Jimi123

A friend just called me and told me that Carnival will not let one member of his party board because they have a hospital issued birth certificate not a state issued one. This is all they have. Any ideas for them or will they miss their cruise?

They are new to cruising. The certificate they have has a raised seal but I guess that is not good enough.

It needs to be from the dept of vital statistics or something similar. It also needs to be the long version. It's too bad he didn't ask you before the cruise. You could've asked, and we'd have steered you in the right direction.

Ouch. I'm reminded of the TV show about Oasis of the Seas when people were scrambling at the terminal to get necessary docs so they could board. I watch it whenever I see its on. A must watch IMO.

I feel bad for them, but I'm just the type that cannot comprehend how people go to the port not being absolutely, positively, 100% sure that their documents are in order.

I mean, I'm Platinum and I still read the cruise contract every single time before I cruise. I even print it and bring it with me - just in case!

I need to get my soon-to-be son-in-law's info so I can do his FunPass and I'm already obsessing about it and we don't sail until November! :o

The rules on what documents are required is very easy to find and they are very specific.

That has to be very depressing and upsetting, but there really is just no reason to not know exactly what you need to board.

If they booked through a TA, that person should've made sure they knew what was needed. And no matter how they booked, they could've found any/all the needed info on Carnival's website.

I get the feeling that there are plenty of people who never go to Carnival.com and read the FAQ and the links that are right there on the page with your booking.

They are new to cruising. The certificate they have has a raised seal but I guess that is not good enough.

Do they know ANYBODY that might work in the county seat office of the person's city of birth?

Tim

It's Saturday, it's going to be hard to get any help from an official office~ only help is if they have the certified one at home and someone can fax it to them~ Maybe try the hospital they were born at if it's local~

The hospital won't have it. It needs to come from the county/state. Unfortunately, it's Saturday afternoon. Unless you know someone, it's not going to happen.

The hospital won't have it. It needs to come from the county/state. Unfortunately, it's Saturday afternoon. Unless you know someone, it's not going to happen.

True but the hospital might be able to fax proof that the cruise line would accept~

I feel bad for them, but I'm just the type that cannot comprehend how people go to the port not being absolutely, positively, 100% sure that their documents are in order.

I mean, I'm Platinum and I still read the cruise contract every single time before I cruise. I even print it and bring it with me - just in case!

I need to get my soon-to-be son-in-law's info so I can do his FunPass and I'm already obsessing about it and we don't sail until November! :o

The rules on what documents are required is very easy to find and they are very specific.

That has to be very depressing and upsetting, but there really is just no reason to not know exactly what you need to board.

If they booked through a TA, that person should've made sure they knew what was needed. And no matter how they booked, they could've found any/all the needed info on Carnival's website.

I get the feeling that there are plenty of people who never go to Carnival.com and read the FAQ and the links that are right there on the page with your booking.

This post really answered the OP's question? :)

On the hospital "birth certificate" they clearly state that they are not a legal document. It's meant to be a keepsake only. I've had many people bring these to me to obtain a new Social Security Card and I have to point this out to them each time and send them to vital records to get the baby's real birth certificate.

He must have a real birth certificate at home though since it's required to get a driver's license. I hope by now someone at home has faxed the real one to the terminal.

Here it is!! Now, after reading it, a US citizen does not need a passport and a birth certificate is not specified. I guess a photo ID and a voter registration card would prove citizenship.

I know passports are expensive, but just think of this scenario. You are on a Western Carib cruise and miss the ship at Cozumel. How do you fly back without a passport?

This is from CCL FAQ

Are passports required?

Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

A friend just called me and told me that Carnival will not let one member of his party board because they have a hospital issued birth certificate not a state issued one. This is all they have. Any ideas for them or will they miss their cruise?

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope something can be done for this person. They probably thought it was ok, because of the raised seal. Everybody does not know about this site, and everyone has a first time cruising. To say what they should have done is not important at this point. Please let us know the outcome.

Here it is!! Now, after reading it, a US citizen does not need a passport and a birth certificate is not specified. I guess a photo ID and a voter registration card would prove citizenship.

I know passports are expensive, but just think of this scenario. You are on a Western Carib cruise and miss the ship at Cozumel. How do you fly back without a passport?

This is from CCL FAQ

Are passports required?

Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

Yes you do need something....the rest of the FAQ reads as follows:

(disclaimer:I am not putting this in the thread to toss it in the face of the OP but rather so those who really do not know have the proper information.)

.....The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city)

Certificate of Naturalization

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

Enhanced Tribal Card

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Note: Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

There are currently four U.S. states and four Canadian provinces producing EDLs:

Michigan

New York

Vermont

Washington

British Columbia

Manitoba

Ontario

Quebec

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents Click Here

*If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100. Callers should mention that they are sailing on Carnival to receive discounted service fees.

Important: Baptismal and Hospital Certificates, copies of U.S. Passports and Naturalization papers, are not WHTI compliant documents, therefore, NOT acceptable.

Here is a link to the info - be sure to read the whole page:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=document

I hope that somehow the OP's friend were all able to sail!!

This post really answered the OP's question? :)

No, but this post does speak for a LOT of us here who shake their head at situations like this.

The OP did say that the person was new to cruising. I can only assume they're new to travelling, period.

It's a tough way to learn a lesson, but it does serve as a reminder to everyone that we need to make sure our documentation is in order.

Regardless, I'm sure we all seriously hope they make it on board somehow. Hopefully the OP will return with some good news. :)

It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

Does anyone know why this is? We are cruising next June and my kids passports expire next September. Why would they recommend new passports? Will they not allow them to sail because they will expire 3 months after we return?

Does anyone know why this is? We are cruising next June and my kids passports expire next September. Why would they recommend new passports? Will they not allow them to sail because they will expire 3 months after we return?

This is only for certain countries~ you are fine with your PP expiring 3 months later for a Mex Riv cruise~

Unfortunately, no, this person will miss the cruise. They need an official, government issued birth certificate (mine is from the Wisconsin Department of Vital Statistics) with the raised seal, watermark, etc.

Just so you know, not all legal birth certificates have a raised seal. Mine from California doesn't.

Op, I am sorry. I am assuming that person was not allowed to board?

This is indeed a sad situation. Last year we sailed from LA to Hawaii. Our friends never thought they needed their passports. They went straight to the customs people and explained that they thought LA to Hawaii was US and forgot about a stop in Mexico. Customs told them to board the ship and fight the no passport or birth cert when they tried to re-enter the US at the end. They were allowed back in the US at the end but would love to have been refused and forced to stay on the boat. Not sure how not US citizens would fair with this problem. Again, I would be heartbroken not to make the trip. :confused:

They need a certified copy of their birth certificate with an embossed seal. It is a shame that they did not know this prior to arriving at the terminal but they could have asked anyone on here, or Carnival rep, or a Travel agent would all tell them what the requirements are

Archived