At terminal and need help

Jimi123

Ouch. I'm reminded of the TV show about Oasis of the Seas when people were scrambling at the terminal to get necessary docs so they could board. I watch it whenever I see its on. A must watch IMO.

Lol! I have it DVR'd and most of it committed to memory. Fills the void up until my next cruise!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

This is indeed a sad situation. Last year we sailed from LA to Hawaii. Our friends never thought they needed their passports. They went straight to the customs people and explained that they thought LA to Hawaii was US and forgot about a stop in Mexico. Customs told them to board the ship and fight the no passport or birth cert when they tried to re-enter the US at the end. They were allowed back in the US at the end but would love to have been refused and forced to stay on the boat. Not sure how not US citizens would fair with this problem. Again, I would be heartbroken not to make the trip. :confused:

They didn't need a passport~ what they needed was a passport OR a certified copy of their BC~ I took that cruise in December~ I used my passport and DH used a certified copy of his BC~ no problems

Just so you know, not all legal birth certificates have a raised seal. Mine from California doesn't.

Yes, I know that. That's why I said raised seal, watermark, etc. Seal or no seal, they have some discerning mark that can't be replicated on a copy. My Wisconsin BC has the watermark.

I am Canadian; therefore, I have to travel with a passport, but my BC and SIN card is always with me when I travel as well.

It is a shame that the cruiser, people travelling with the cruiser, or the TA did NOT tell the passenger what ID is required. They can also be held responsible for not reading online or in the brochure what is required to board the ship.

Personally, passports should be required for everyone. North Americans get off easy because NA consists of two large, and a bunch of smaller nations. There are dozens of nations in Europe and they are wise enough to have a passport to travel.....Canadians have no choice but to have a passport to get into the US. The Americans should, but they still get away with BC/DL if they drive into Canada.....make then have a passport to come in/transit through Canada...

Perhaps if they made the law where everyone needs a passport the cost of passports would drop significantly making it more affordable.

. . .

I need to get my soon-to-be son-in-law's info so I can do his FunPass and I'm already obsessing about it and we don't sail until November! :o

. . .

I hope he has enough sense to tell you that he will take care of it for himself and his wife. You need to let go.

Here it is!! Now, after reading it, a US citizen does not need a passport and a birth certificate is not specified. I guess a photo ID and a voter registration card would prove citizenship.

I know passports are expensive, but just think of this scenario. You are on a Western Carib cruise and miss the ship at Cozumel. How do you fly back without a passport?

This is from CCL FAQ

Are passports required?

Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. Non-U.S Citizens must contact the appropriate Consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements.

It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel.

You would have thought the voters registration card would have qualified, but I think the cruise lines quit accepting those several years ago. We did use a voters registration cards sometime around 95, but after that they weren't accepted.

I hope he has enough sense to tell you that he will take care of it for himself and his wife. You need to let go.

LOL...this.

Maybe some of the ludicrous crap on "Everybody Loves Raymond" is closer to reality than any of us thought. :D

Well folks, GOOD news! Some how, some way, they made it on board. I don't know all the details, but they made it.

To all that were encouraging and provided information....THANK YOU.

Thanks for coming back to let us know....That is great. :D

Yes, I know that. That's why I said raised seal, watermark, etc. Seal or no seal, they have some discerning mark that can't be replicated on a copy. My Wisconsin BC has the watermark.

I think you may be confusing the requirements for a birth certificate needed to obtain a passport with those needed for a birth certificate needed for travel. The DHS regs make no reference to watermarks, raised seals, or whatever, while the Department of State does make such references. (Of course if your birth cert meets the Department of State requirements it will meet the DHS requirements.)

Well folks, GOOD news! Some how, some way, they made it on board. I don't know all the details, but they made it.

Great news! Thanks for the update. So sorry you had to go through this.

:) YAY! I have been thinking of him today! It is very easy for us seasoned people to think "how can they not know" but when it's a first time and all that it can be easy to miss.

When I brought my daughter in for her license we used a copy of her BC, when I brought the same kind in for my son for his license, they said no way. I had no idea I had the wrong one, and the person took it for my daughter. We all have passports for cruising, and those wrong bc's were the ones we used to get the passports, anyway, glad he made it!

They are new to cruising. The certificate they have has a raised seal but I guess that is not good enough.

Mine has a raised seal, I've used it. Since then, I take no chances, spent my $100 and got that passport. I keep thinking I'll win the lottery and need that passport to get out of town quick:D

I doubt she went without others in her group saying all she needed was a certificate. She had one, so someone told her something.

You would have thought the voters registration card would have qualified, but I think the cruise lines quit accepting those several years ago. We did use a voters registration cards sometime around 95, but after that they weren't accepted.

It's not the cruiselines who make the rules on what forms of ID are acceptable or not. It's the US Government (Homeland Security). Carnival cannot allow you on the ship without the proper ID. Just like if you show up at the airport for an overseas flight without the proper ID (passport and/or visa as required) the airline will not let you board the plane.

Wow, this is a real wake up call for everyone. I'm SO GLAD there was a happy ending!!!!

Whatever the "rules" are, having a passport is the only way to go. That and a credit card with you at all times off the ship. You just don't never know what will happen.... If you miss the ship w/o a passport and credit card you could be in a world of trouble!

I have traveled far afield on excursions, many miles from the ship. If you get in a wreck or are delayed returning..... "Welcome to Mexico!" :eek:

Hurray!! Great news!

Ouch. I'm reminded of the TV show about Oasis of the Seas when people were scrambling at the terminal to get necessary docs so they could board. I watch it whenever I see its on. A must watch IMO.

What show is that? I'd like to track it down.

OP, so glad your friends made it on board! Hope they enjoy their first cruise.

This is indeed a sad situation. Last year we sailed from LA to Hawaii. Our friends never thought they needed their passports. They went straight to the customs people and explained that they thought LA to Hawaii was US and forgot about a stop in Mexico. Customs told them to board the ship and fight the no passport or birth cert when they tried to re-enter the US at the end. They were allowed back in the US at the end but would love to have been refused and forced to stay on the boat. Not sure how not US citizens would fair with this problem. Again, I would be heartbroken not to make the trip. :confused:

If they weren't US citizens, the problem wouldn't have been whether or not they could board the ship. They'd have needed a passport just to get into the US in the first place.

Archived