At terminal and need help

Jimi123

Well folks, GOOD news! Some how, some way, they made it on board. I don't know all the details, but they made it.

To all that were encouraging and provided information....THANK YOU.

So glad it worked out for them!! :D

. . . go to hulu.com and type in OASIS OF THE SEAS

Oooooooo!!! I will be searching for this tonight! Thanks for posting it

Ouch. I'm reminded of the TV show about Oasis of the Seas when people were scrambling at the terminal to get necessary docs so they could board. I watch it whenever I see its on. A must watch IMO.

I recently caught this! Very interested to see so much background info as well as how hectic embarkation really is!

In 2008 we were going on a cruise out of Miami. On the morning of the cruise, my mother informed me that she had forgotten her BC. We tried several ways of getting it to us, but it would have been nearly impossible to get it from TN to Miami on time. She and I went to the Homeland Security office at the port. I explained to them what had happened. I had my BC which had her listed as my mother and she had her DL. They told us that because of her age and she was travelling with me it would not be a problem. They called Carnival's people at the terminal and gave them the OK to let her board.

Good news that the OP's friends managed to get on board.

This story makes me sooooooooo nervous! My daughter's passport just expired in May. She turns 16 just 20+days prior to our cruise. I do not want to get her another 5 year passport, so we are waiting until she is 16. I already have an appointment scheduled for 10am that morning. It's tricky with a 16 year old. She also needs a state issued ID. Since she can't have a real diver's license at exactly16 in our state, and the temporary does not have a picture, i needed to have take her to the DMV to get her a State Issued Picture ID.

I asked if her school picture ID would work and I was told no, because it was not state issued.

Well I already have her BC Pulled. I have 2 official copies, so one will go for new passport and the other will travel with us. Hopefully I've crossed every T and dotted every i! But I must admit, I'm still a bit nervous! A passport is just sooooo much easier!

We're crossing our fingers that the passport is returned quicker than the 4-6 weeks the website reports. Seems like folks are actually getting them from 10 - 22 days not expedited!

True but the hospital might be able to fax proof that the cruise line would accept~

The hospital can't issue the cert...it has to be a state issued certificate

the cert the person has is probably a "hospital" cert

This is sad and could have been avoided so easily. I also don't understand why someone would not check before hand...

if the OP is an experienced cruiser, why didn't this "newbie" ask them or others, call Carnival etc?? Didn't they print out a fun pass?

I don't know how people do this stuff really...but they do...

Had one gal who deliberately left her passport at home on a cruise to the Bahamas...she thought she didn't need it, just a driver license...

she didn't even bring her birth cert (which would not have worked anyhow since she was born in South America)

She parked at the offsite parking, took shuttle to Port Everglades

and then was told she could NOT board...called me...(cell phone) I was on lido enjoying lunch...

fortunately she lives in Deerfield Beach LOL>> I told her to get there asap,

get that passport and come back and park at the port...forget the offsite parking, saving money..suck it up and park at the port

she was on the phone with me on and off as she made her way thru traffic with the passport...she was still unhappy to pay more to park at port :eek:

Finally she called me....the last person to board, had to drag all her luggage on...she had made it with 6..yes 6 minutes to spare

"Thanks Esty, you were right, I would have missed the ship if I went back to the Park and Fly place!"

Sadly they just won't/can't let you board without the proper documents.

Before 9/11 they might make exceptions but now they don't

Well folks, GOOD news! Some how, some way, they made it on board. I don't know all the details, but they made it.

LOL>> I don't think encouragement or anything anyone here posted got them on board...maybe they know someone in their state or whatever who got the documents faxed in or??

Now I am really curious....I hope you will ask them what exactly happened and how they were able to board when they get back and post it here for us.

I recall a pretty recent review where a brother of one of the Board Hosts could not board the cruise cause he lost his passport on way to the ship.

There was no way they could budge the rules for him...so I am curious to see what happened here

What ship/port and what state the birth cert was from?? thanks

LOL>> I don't think encouragement or anything anyone here posted got them on board...maybe they know someone in their state or whatever who got the documents faxed in or??

Now I am really curious....I hope you will ask them what exactly happened and how they were able to board when they get back and post it here for us.

I recall a pretty recent review where a brother of one of the Board Hosts could not board the cruise cause he lost his passport on way to the ship.

There was no way they could budge the rules for him...so I am curious to see what happened here

What ship/port and what state the birth cert was from?? thanks

My guess is that someone faxed the state issued birth certificate to the port.

Great news for your friend. Hopefully he will get a passport or passport card when he comes home and won't have to go through this again. After all you never know when a last minute cruise special will pop up and he will want to take advantage of it.

This story makes me sooooooooo nervous! My daughter's passport just expired in May. She turns 16 just 20+days prior to our cruise. I do not want to get her another 5 year passport, so we are waiting until she is 16. I already have an appointment scheduled for 10am that morning. It's tricky with a 16 year old. She also needs a state issued ID. Since she can't have a real diver's license at exactly16 in our state, and the temporary does not have a picture, i needed to have take her to the DMV to get her a State Issued Picture ID.

I asked if her school picture ID would work and I was told no, because it was not state issued.

Well I already have her BC Pulled. I have 2 official copies, so one will go for new passport and the other will travel with us. Hopefully I've crossed every T and dotted every i! But I must admit, I'm still a bit nervous! A passport is just sooooo much easier!

We're crossing our fingers that the passport is returned quicker than the 4-6 weeks the website reports. Seems like folks are actually getting them from 10 - 22 days not expedited!

You may be able to go ahead and get the state ID now, which will take some time pressure off of you.

My Thank you was a general THANK YOU to people that were willing to share information. It did not imply that anything helped. LOL, you're easily confused!

I think you may be confusing the requirements for a birth certificate needed to obtain a passport with those needed for a birth certificate needed for travel. The DHS regs make no reference to watermarks, raised seals, or whatever, while the Department of State does make such references. (Of course if your birth cert meets the Department of State requirements it will meet the DHS requirements.)

Aren't the requirements are the same? If you can use it to get a passport, you can use it for travel and if you can use it for travel you can use it for a passport?

Of course, this thread wouldn't even exist if the US would just get with it and require a passport, period.

I was in a similar situation in the fall. I needed a new Chinese visa, and I had to wait until the old one was close to expiring. I was cruising a month later, but going to China a week after the cruise. Knowing that BC requirements had changed in the past few years, I asked my mom to go to the county office where I was born to get my BC. Things to look out for : Department of Vital Records, mine has 2 raised seals and watermarks, and a statement at the bottom that its the full data on file at the vital records office.

I ended up getting my visa in a week, so no worries. I know I have the right BC should anything occur in the future. I renewed my passport in 08...took 8 days. Passport turnaround is pretty quick. It was bad in 07, but has improved dramatically since then.

Just printed out my one page boarding pass for next weeks cruise.

It's only one page and lends itself to be read.

IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: US security procedures require all guests 16 years of age or older to present a government issued photo identification upon airport and cruiseline check-in. All Guests must present proof of citizenship and any necessary visas at embarkation. Guests without proper documentation will be denied boarding and no refund will be issued.

It further notes:

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Don't forget to bring your proof of citizenship and a government photo I.D. Visit us at www.carnival.com for more information on acceptable WHTI travel documentation.

Glad they worked it out, but Carnival is in the clear on this one.

My guess is that someone faxed the state issued birth certificate to the port.

My (Wisconsin) BC has this statement on the left and right: "WARNING: IT IS A FELONY TO COPY OR REPRODUCE THIS CERTIFICATE - STATE STATUTE 69.24(1)". One thing to make a copy for your purposes, but another to send fax it somewhere to get on a ship. I don't know...would make me VERY nervous.

:) YAY! I have been thinking of him today! It is very easy for us seasoned people to think "how can they not know" but when it's a first time and all that it can be easy to miss.

When I brought my daughter in for her license we used a copy of her BC, when I brought the same kind in for my son for his license, they said no way. I had no idea I had the wrong one, and the person took it for my daughter. We all have passports for cruising, and those wrong bc's were the ones we used to get the passports, anyway, glad he made it!

Not sure what the timing was, but BC requirements became more strict effective April 1, 2011. Before just having the seal or watermark would have been ok, but now they need to be the long form with both parents' full names, birth dates, etc listed.

I hope he has enough sense to tell you that he will take care of it for himself and his wife. You need to let go.

And this comment was no more necessary than the snarky remark asking how my post helped the OP.

I don't owe you or anyone an explanation, but I'll give it to you...

I've booked them in a balcony for their honeymoon. They don't know that. It's going to be a surprise, so I don't want them on Carnival's website doing their own check in.

OK? Happy now?

To the OP - I'll so glad they were allowed to board. I'm sure that was very stressful. Hopefully, they're now relaxing and enjoying their cruise.

You may be able to go ahead and get the state ID now, which will take some time pressure off of you.

I need to reread my posts before I hit post - I wasn't clear. We got the State Issued ID last week. Needed her BC and SS card to get it, but we have it now! It is officially checked off the list!

I always travel with passports. I never knew there was a difference between the 2 types of birth certificates.

Same thing happened to my DH. He had what he thought was a valid birth certificate only to find out when he was applying for his passport for our first cruise that he had a hospital certificate and not a state issued one. Never knew there was a difference up until then.

My Thank you was a general THANK YOU to people that were willing to share information. It did not imply that anything helped. LOL, you're easily confused!

Perhaps I am "easily confused" but I am also very curious

People come on these boards with all sorts of crisis and then sometimes they don't come back to let "us" know what happened

Thanks for coming back and I hope that when your friends gets off a great cruise that you will find out the "scoop" and let us know what actually happened....what documents he had, what was done , which port etc

"Enquiring minds want to know"

I did read a sad situation where one of the Host's own brother could not board , lost passport, and that is a guy who is "friends" with JOhn Heald, a really big Carnival fan...

so I am curious...what was the deal here?/ thanks and hope u will come back with the scoop

Aren't the requirements are the same? If you can use it to get a passport, you can use it for travel and if you can use it for travel you can use it for a passport?

Of course, this thread wouldn't even exist if the US would just get with it and require a passport, period.

No, not necessarily.

My birth certificate was from Florida in the 50s.

It is the size of a credit card and was sealed in plastic.

My mom said that it was exactly as she received it.

I did use it to cruise, but when I applied for a passport they told me it was too small.

I had to send to Florida for a bigger one, all the same info but on a sheet of paper. It took around six weeks to get that back.

And then I went to the post office to send it off and they looked at my photo, taken at Walgreens, and said that my purse strap showed and I would have to get a new photo taken.

So, I had to get another photo and wait until I could get off work again to do the application.

I ended up having to go to the post office three times.

My husband worried the whole time.

Perhaps I am "easily confused" but I am also very curious

People come on these boards with all sorts of crisis and then sometimes they don't come back to let "us" know what happened

Thanks for coming back and I hope that when your friends gets off a great cruise that you will find out the "scoop" and let us know what actually happened....what documents he had, what was done , which port etc

"Enquiring minds want to know"

I did read a sad situation where one of the Host's own brother could not board , lost passport, and that is a guy who is "friends" with JOhn Heald, a really big Carnival fan...

so I am curious...what was the deal here?/ thanks and hope u will come back with the scoop

was the friend h8 or ATS? LOL

No, the requirements are not the same. My birth certificate is good for travel (I've used it twice) but because it doesn't have my parents' name on it I cannot use it to get a passport, I have to order another one from the state.

My (Wisconsin) BC has this statement on the left and right: "WARNING: IT IS A FELONY TO COPY OR REPRODUCE THIS CERTIFICATE - STATE STATUTE 69.24(1)". One thing to make a copy for your purposes, but another to send fax it somewhere to get on a ship. I don't know...would make me VERY nervous.

A fax is nothing more than a copy sent over the wire. If you are having it faxed so you can get on a ship then you are copying it for personal use.

"We're crossing our fingers that the passport is returned quicker than the 4-6 weeks the website reports. Seems like folks are actually getting them from 10 - 22 days not expedited!

We just had our renewals done. Sent them off Friday, June 1st and got them back this past Friday, June 22nd. Three weeks exactly. Our daughter will be working abroad beginning this coming Sunday and she had to start from scratch since she was under 16 the first time. Her's was expedited and was received in just under two weeks. We simply didn't feel comfortable with her leaving the country and ours would be expiring in July. Now we have the comfort of knowing we can up and leave at a moments notice should, heaven forbid, something happen. I think I would seriously consider expediting just to be safe and assured.

Archived