Carnival and credit card holds

gone_cruisin

We dont have credit cards and after my bank placed holds on my debit cards for an extended time, we started putting cash on our Sail & Sign account as soon as we board. We also pre-pay our gratuities when we pay off the cruise.

We put $150.00 on each folio and add to it if needed. For our next cruise we are going to put money on our S&S account ahead of time.

BBM

1. We don't have any either.

2. Would we be able to bring travelers checks and use them in place of cash on the Sail and Sign account at the beginning of each cruise (we're going on three B2B cruises totalling 48 days, and neither of us is comfortable carrying thousands of dollars in cash)?

3. How can one put money on the S&S account "ahead of time?" Please provide the details on exactly how one does this.

Thank you in advance!

BBM

2. Would we be able to bring travelers checks and use them in place of cash on the Sail and Sign account at the beginning of each cruise (we're going on three B2B cruises totalling 48 days, and neither of us is comfortable carrying thousands of dollars in cash)?

3. How can one put money on the S&S account "ahead of time?" Please provide the details on exactly how one does this.

Thank you in advance!

If you order online, you put "On board credit" on address line #1, on address line #2 you put your booking number and then fill in all of the required information. I do this for every cruise then when I get to the terminal I tell them I am using cash for my S&S account. Here is the link: http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificate&pid=FSD&cid=CC_Footer_66. :D

I have been slammed by many veteran cruisers when I ask questions about purchasing Funship Dollars Or pre funding my S&S account...(why would you want to give Carnival your money in advance..thats so stupid.. etc..)

but after I read this thread... I would never do it any other way.

I have NO interest in having the money I think I have available to use decreased or eliminated at the whim of Carnival or the CC company....

You could get stuck away from home and have NOTHING to use till the holds come off...CRAZY!!!!

I have Capital one and just recently they have started displaying pending charges. it doesn't matter what I buy, there is always a hold of some sort. Even at the gas station, a $1 hold shows up with the pending gas purchase. This seems to be a common practice to make sure the purchaser has enough credit to make a purchase.

BBM

Thank you in advance!

I spoke with my PVP and he told me that this can be done and when the time came I was going to call him to find out exactly how but now I wont need to since shake and bake answered the question below.

I dont blame you for not bringing thousands of dollars in cash. For a trip of that magnitude I would be uncomfortable doing that as well. I have heard of folks using travelers checks and getting them cashed along the way at Guest Services. I saw this in a review recently.

If you order online, you put "On board credit" on address line #1, on address line #2 you put your booking number and then fill in all of the required information. I do this for every cruise then when I get to the terminal I tell them I am using cash for my S&S account. Here is the link: http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificate&pid=FSD&cid=CC_Footer_66. :D

Thanks shake n bake! You just saved me from making an extra phone call! Some days I just LOVE these boards!

I just realized that link is for funship dollars (which are also handy) but I heard that you can just call in and add money to your Sail & Sign directly. Let me call my PVP to find out for sure. BRB

I have Capital one and just recently they have started displaying pending charges. it doesn't matter what I buy, there is always a hold of some sort. Even at the gas station, a $1 hold shows up with the pending gas purchase. This seems to be a common practice to make sure the purchaser has enough credit to make a purchase.

My card does the same thing, no matter what it is. I think people think it's exclusive to Carnival, but it's not. People purchase things daily, but don't check their accounts and don't even realize it's going on. But after a cruise, more peek at their accounts and notice it for the first time (not realizing it's been going on all along)

Speaking of putting cash on accounts...as a parent can I put $0 on my child's account or do I have to put something on it?

The account is tied to one person. We have had 2 cabins tied to me and I put cash down for the account. Just dont give your kids charging privledges if you dont want them to spend.

My card does the same thing, no matter what it is. I think people think it's exclusive to Carnival, but it's not. People purchase things daily, but don't check their accounts and don't even realize it's going on. But after a cruise, more peek at their accounts and notice it for the first time (not realizing it's been going on all along)

I dont think it is the actual purchases they are talking about. But the hundreds of $$ of holds "in case" you buy something??? It would be like a gas station holding $300 in case you buy that much gas...instead of just the $1 to see if the card is good.

The account is tied to one person. We have had 2 cabins tied to me and I put cash down for the account. Just dont give your kids charging privledges if you dont want them to spend.

I just did this with my 17 yo for our Elation cruise. In the online check in , it said she had to be connected with an account but I could check whether she could charge to it or not.

I'm confused.... the issue is that the "Hold" is on your card, not that Carnival actually over charged you. If that is true, then it sounds more like people just don't have a lot of available credit or their credit limit is low.

I often have holds put on my credit cards, but I pay the balance off every month so I have a good cushion of available credit and don't come close to my credit limit.

I have to agree with another poster who said always travel with two credit cards. I do this and NEVER NEVER NEVER keep them both in the same place in case you are pick pocketed or loose your wallet.

This is Carnival's stated policy. Note they say they will not put additional holds until you exceed the original hold

If you are using a credit card or debit/check cashing card please be advised that there will be a hold placed on your account as a deposit for your onboard purchases. During your cruise additional holds will be added if your Sail & Sign® account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. If you presented a credit card, this will reduce the amount available on your credit card for other purchases. If you presented a debit/check cashing card, the hold will restrict the available cash in your checking account. All charges will be billed to the credit card or debit/check cashing card at the end of the cruise. Please note that Carnival Cruise Lines will not be held responsible for any bank-imposed overage or insufficient funds charged on debit or credit cards.

Also, the length of the hold is determined by the issuing bank, Carnival has no control over that. One of our credit card holds expire in 3 days, another 7

My question is thta I have 9 people and 4 rooms linked to me. (that I am paying for)

I have prepaid tips and excursions. I have $150 dollars OBC for each person. I only want to use my debit card if the charges exceed that amount.....it may on 4 but not likely on the rest. Is there a way to set this up that I don't get charged for all 9 the first day on my card?

You could get stuck away from home and have NOTHING to use till the holds come off...CRAZY!!!!

Exactly what happened to us.

To those that make comments about having low available balance credit cards......not everyone has $10,000 limits. I had $3000 available and should have been more than enough for $370 in charges. I even got on free wifi in Halifax to make a $500 payment, but it takes 2-3 business days, so it wouldn't even post until Monday....2 days after I got off the ship.

Yes, this is all Carnival! No one on here can explain why the rental car and hotel purchases made on Saturday are cleared, but my Carnival charges starting on last Monday are still showing up. It's not my bank!!!!!!! It's Carnival!!!!!

I jus checked this morning abd the final bill for $370 has been posted. However, all the pending charges from whole the cruise are still on hold ..... Including the $370 for final bill.

So let's tally this up.

Carnival has $2100 on pending holds AND $370 for the final payment. That's $2500 on my credit as of right now....3 days after my cruise. When the @$&@ do they plan on releasing the holds? They now have their money for gods sake!

This is Carnival's stated policy. Note they say they will not put additional holds until you exceed the original hold

If you are using a credit card or debit/check cashing card please be advised that there will be a hold placed on your account as a deposit for your onboard purchases. During your cruise additional holds will be added if your Sail & Sign® account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. If you presented a credit card, this will reduce the amount available on your credit card for other purchases. If you presented a debit/check cashing card, the hold will restrict the available cash in your checking account. All charges will be billed to the credit card or debit/check cashing card at the end of the cruise. Please note that Carnival Cruise Lines will not be held responsible for any bank-imposed overage or insufficient funds charged on debit or credit cards.

Also, the length of the hold is determined by the issuing bank, Carnival has no control over that. One of our credit card holds expire in 3 days, another 7

Ok... then what confuses me is that the OP said they spent $300 ish and had $1700 worth of holds...

I have a question here: what happens if I opened my S&S account with a credit card but pay my daily charges in cash at the end of each day? From what I understand, I should not have any daily holds on my credit card if I do it that way. Right?

Now I'm scared because I have a B2B on the Glory in July and want to make sure everything is okay. I plan to pay our S&S in cash but preferred to open S&S accounts with a CC just to be on the safe side (if we spend more than we have in cash).

I have a question here: what happens if I opened my S&S account with a credit card but pay my daily charges in cash at the end of each day? From what I understand, I should not have any daily holds on my credit card if I do it that way. Right?

Now I'm scared because I have a B2B on the Glory in July and want to make sure everything is okay. I plan to pay our S&S in cash but preferred to open S&S accounts with a CC just to be on the safe side (if we spend more than we have in cash).

Maybe just keep it a cash account until you run low and then put your cc on it???? (that may not be till your second cruise...??)

I just realized that link is for funship dollars (which are also handy) but I heard that you can just call in and add money to your Sail & Sign directly. Let me call my PVP to find out for sure. BRB

I've purchased online as well as calling. Seemed like it took the same amount of time to show on my documents either way. If doing it online, put your booking # instead of your street address. If doing it over the phone, call the Special Programs department. Here's what the Carnival website says:

Our knowledgeable Fun Ship Dollar representatives are available to answer your questions about our products, help you make a selection, and take your credit card order. You can reach our Special Programs and Promotions department by telephone; toll free, at 1-800-906-7603 during the following hours:

Monday - Saturday 8:00am - 8:30pm, Eastern Time

Phone orders are accepted up to one week prior to sailing. Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network and American Express accepted.

Customer Service is closed Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Ad...icates&pid=FSD

Just got off the phone with Carnival. Regardless if you pay with cash mid cruise, they are still going to put the holds on you card. This is what my BF did. Once he had his cc declined due to excessive holds, he went to pay cash. The holds are still on his cc as we speak.....even though he paid in full with cash on Saturday.

The rep was confused as to why the rolling balance continued. She said the daily holds should've only been in amount I spend for that day...not the total. I was also told all holds will not be removed until 96 business hours after returning from your cruise. So my first hold on June 19th will not drop until Thursday.

Also, all the pending charges are going to stay on your card even after Carnival makes their final charge.

So think about this....

If someone goes on a 15 day transatlantic, And spends $100 a day on board, they had better be prepared to have $13,500 free credit available (and even more if they spend a huge amount on the first days). Check the math:

Day 1 - 100. Held 100

Day 2 - 100. Held 100 from previous day plus 100 for a total of 200

Day 3 - 100. Held 200 from previous day plus 100 for a total of 300

Day 4 - 100. Held 400 (see math from above)

Day 5 - 100. Held 500

Day 6 - 100. Held 600

Day 7 - 100. Held 700

Day 8 - 100. Held 800

Day 9 - 100. Held 900

Day 10 - 100. Held 1000

Day 11 - 100. Held 1100

Day 12 - 100. Held 1200

Day 13 - 100. Held 1300

Day 14 - 100. Held 1400

Day 15 - 100. Held 1500

Total holds = $12,000

Final bill = $1500

Then carnuval is going to officially charge $1500 and the $12000 holds will still be on your cc. So you will need $13,500 available credit. That's insane!!!!!

Just got off the phone with Carnival. Regardless if you pay with cash mid cruise, they are still going to put the holds on you card. This is what my BF did. Once he had his cc declined due to excessive holds, he went to pay cash. The holds are still on his cc as we speak.....even though he paid in full with cash on Saturday.

The rep was confused as to why the rolling balance continued. She said the daily holds should've only been in amount I spend for that day...not the total. I was also told all holds will not be removed until 96 business hours after returning from your cruise. So my first hold on June 19th will not drop until Thursday.

Also, all the pending charges are going to stay on your card even after Carnival makes their final charge.

So think about this....

If someone goes on a 15 day transatlantic, And spends $100 a day on board, they had better be prepared to have $13,500 free credit available (and even more if they spend a huge amount on the first days). Check the math:

Day 1 - 100. Held 100

Day 2 - 100. Held 100 from previous day plus 100 for a total of 200

Day 3 - 100. Held 200 from previous day plus 100 for a total of 300

Day 4 - 100. Held 400 (see math from above)

Day 5 - 100. Held 500

Day 6 - 100. Held 600

Day 7 - 100. Held 700

Day 8 - 100. Held 800

Day 9 - 100. Held 900

Day 10 - 100. Held 1000

Day 11 - 100. Held 1100

Day 12 - 100. Held 1200

Day 13 - 100. Held 1300

Day 14 - 100. Held 1400

Day 15 - 100. Held 1500

Total holds = $12,000

Final bill = $1500

Then carnuval is going to officially charge $1500 and the $12000 holds will still be on your cc. So you will need $13,500 available credit. That's insane!!!!!

So would what I posted work?? Cash till u run out and then CC.....less holds cause most of the cruise would be over already?...

So would what I posted work?? Cash till u run out and then CC.....less holds cause most of the cruise would be over already?...

Yes, that's your best option. Start with cash and then transfer over to cc. Try to hold out on the cc until as late as possible seeing as how they do daily tallies.

After Carnival's refusal to acknowledge their poor credit card holding practices, the BF and I decided our next cruise, we are prepaying our tips and not spending a dime on Carnival any more. All revenue will be spent on outside excursions and alcohol. This is a huge loss for Carnival as I know they aren't making money off the rates we usually end finding for cruise fare.

Other than this bs, we still love Carnival!

Yes, that's your best option. Start with cash and then transfer over to cc. Try to hold out on the cc until as late as possible seeing as how they do daily tallies.

Archived