Air travel with Travelscoot

EileenN

The maximum weight the travelscoot is rated for is 325. However there are people who weigh more than that who use them. There is a way to increase the power but you do (I think, no personal experience) lose distance. You can purchase an optional basket to carry an O2 generator or travel tank. I don't use oxygen nor have the optional basket.

• 2 weeks later...
My scoot is 5 years old. I bought it from the manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if you find one on e-bay or craig's list if someone no longer needed it. I have had no problem with the scooter disappearing on a cruise. It has my name on it, is distinctive, and where would it go? When we are on a land trip or a shore excursion we use a bike lock if we are going to leave it. We are on vacation this week in New York City and today I had the first problem (in 5 years). We were in Times Square when the drive belt broke. Just before it broke it made a loud noise. We always travel with the repair kit plus manual and it is now in good working order again thanks to my husband. I have found it very reliable,

You have offered a lot of valuable information about this scooter which we are considering. Do you have the regular or Jr size Travelscoot? How wide is your scooter? Is the average width of the cruise line standard cabin doors 23 inches? This is new for us and we are figuring out what we need to do for our upcoming Princess cruise this October...

Thanks for all your information.....

Is the average width of the cruise line standard cabin doors 23 inches? This is new for us and we are figuring out what we need to do for our upcoming Princess cruise this October...

It's important to understand that though the average width of a standard cruise cabin door is 23" that's the measurement from door frame to door frame. You than have to deduct 2" for the depth of the door itself when the door open as the door does not close flush to the door frame. Therefore the actual average clearance is only 21". The scooter must be 21" or less to be able to be driven through the doorway.

I have a regular travelscoot. It is 24 inches from the outside of one wheel to the outside of the other wheel. It will NOT fit through a standard cabin door. If you have a standard cabin you must get off the scooter in the hall and then lift up one wheel to get it into the room. The cabin will be "tight" with the scooter in the room although you can store it in front of the desk or in the closet area. To exit you have to do the whole thing in reverse before sitting on the scooter.

I have a regular travelscoot. It is 24 inches from the outside of one wheel to the outside of the other wheel. It will NOT fit through a standard cabin door. If you have a standard cabin you must get off the scooter in the hall and then lift up one wheel to get it into the room. The cabin will be "tight" with the scooter in the room although you can store it in front of the desk or in the closet area. To exit you have to do the whole thing in reverse before sitting on the scooter.

Amazingly on the Enchantment of the Seas our regular inside cabins I was able to drive my regular sized Travelscoot through the door with no problem. We've sailed her 2x with insides on deck 3 and 4. That said on Carnival Pride and Dream in our standard cabin I needed to do the tilt thing with the back wheels.

You will probably love it even more if you take it to an auto or boat upholstery place and have a couple of inches of foam added to the seat. Makes it much more comfortable if you are going to be on it for awhile! Many people here have done that.

M.

My husband has done upholstry as a hobby and is going to do exactly that. Any tips on the best fabric or amount of padding. Also will be looking for a cup holder and possibly headlight. Any suggestions? Saw a foot rest somewhere that was different. Any help in that area?

You folks have been heaven sent...thanks so much

Congratulations on your new Travelscoot!

This thread about re-upholstering the seat might answer some of your questions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1480146&highlight=travelscoot

I have not done mine yet; it doesn't seem that uncomfortable but it could be because of my natural padding! :^)

As far as the cup holder and the rest, your best source IMHO for all things Travelscoot is http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/ If you type in your search criteria in the little window at the extreme top and left of the page where the little red 'B' is you will find everyting you mentioned.

Marlee

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older Pride Sonic 3 wheel. It has not been on a cruise yet (it will be in March 2013.)

I have taken this on the plane twice. Drove it to the door of the plane and parked it with the strollers. Attendant gave me a luggage tag. I removed nothing. Made sure that the key was on a secure cable attached to the scooter (with a backup in my pocket!).

I got in my seat. At the other end my scooter automagically appeared at the door to the plane. The whole operation went as smooth as butter.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my travelscoot last March. I have multiple sclerosis and my walking range is quite limited. My job requires me to travel extensively throughout the United States and parts of the world. I spend a lot of time in convention centers and hotels with long walks. I have flown with it 10 times since I got it. My scooter has been to Las Vegas,Orlando, Nashville, Barcelona, Milwaukee, and Boston. I'm taking it on its first cruise on 25 August. Having the scooter has changed my life. I'm doing things now that I never imagined I could do before. I strongly suggest spending the extra money for the lithium-ion battery. Air travel is absolutely no problem. The company backs their products. When you call the company you often get Tony the president. I would not hesitate to recommend the product to anyone.

My husband replaced the seat cover and added 4 inches of dense padding. At first he used 3 inches of a lighter padding and it was only OK. The denser foam is doingg the job just right. The seat covering is sunbrella and he made a bag that hangs under the seat to hold the extra belt and tool kit. It is water proof and non slip. I plan to ride it to the plane door in Sept. and remove the battery, lower the handles and leave it with the strollers. I am going places alone that was not possible before. I go in stores that I was unable to shop in and get around inside. I have been stopped in the mall and in large stores by others asking for the brand. Lovin" it...

I go in stores that I was unable to shop in and get around inside. I have been stopped in the mall and in large stores by others asking for the brand. Lovin" it...

Eileen, so glad to read the TS is working out well for you. I too am often stopped while shopping with questions on where did I get my scooter. I have run out of my stack of "business cards" from Tony but I am going to make up some more as it is so handy to just give them a card! As "extra protection" for the throttle area I have a small bubble wrap "baggie" that I wrap around the right handle/throttle area before I slip on the little red canvas cover for the handles that came with the padded battery carry bag.

Katisdale, Since they are charging so much for checked bags now on most airlines I am concerned about checking a hard sided golf bag with my travelscoot. Do you label yours in some way that it is a medical device and they have to let it go free? I have been thinking I only wanted to take it to the cabin door and have them store it on the plane so I wouldn't have to pay. I look forward to all your posts since you are a seasoned travelscoot owner. Marla

There is no place to store something like that on the plane. If you bring it to the door, they will gate check it into the cargo hold.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bike lock to lock up my TS when we stop someplace. I always find something to lock it to.

At the airport, I drive right up to the gate and they take it from me and put it with the strollers, etc. and return it to me when we land. Very easy.

I also padded my seat and the back to make it more comfortable.

Good Evening,

Well, all you "Travel Scoot" Riders have sung the praises of this Hot little ride so much that when I went to their Site they are OUT OF STOCK of both the JR and Standard.

I am sure they will stock more but I can tell you,you have all given me such a lift ! These little light weight scooters that hold someone who weighs MORE than 140 lbs is a God Sent

We are talking about a trip to Europe and I think this scooter may be just what the Dr Order ! I know that Europe has very poor access and the sidewalks are very uneven ....I am wondering if any of you have "Scooted" accross Europe Yet ?

This is not only a gift for me but a gift for my Husband who has had to deal with a full size scooter before when I had my Hip replaced ....He Now see the Chiorpractor on a regular basis :-(

Now I have 2 knees that need to be replaced and just can't face the surgeries right now but these Scooters are really perfect, I can go places and do things I gave up years ago ....like shopping all day :-)

One more question since you are all so very Helpful ......I can not see the difference except for size in the JR and Standard they both hold the same weight ......If you are shorter should you by the Jr .....I am 5'5"

My Gut would be to by the Standard which of course is more money, but I do weigh a bit over 200 lbs ?? I want to be comfortable.

Thank You all in advance for any help you can send my way !

I hope I will be able to pay all your kindness forward :-)

Joanne

Good Evening,

Well, all you "Travel Scoot" Riders have sung the praises of this Hot little ride so much that when I went to their Site they are OUT OF STOCK of both the JR and Standard.

I am sure they will stock more but I can tell you,you have all given me such a lift ! These little light weight scooters that hold someone who weighs MORE than 140 lbs is a God Sent

We are talking about a trip to Europe and I think this scooter may be just what the Dr Order ! I know that Europe has very poor access and the sidewalks are very uneven ....I am wondering if any of you have "Scooted" accross Europe Yet ?

This is not only a gift for me but a gift for my Husband who has had to deal with a full size scooter before when I had my Hip replaced ....He Now see the Chiorpractor on a regular basis :-(

Now I have 2 knees that need to be replaced and just can't face the surgeries right now but these Scooters are really perfect, I can go places and do things I gave up years ago ....like shopping all day :-)

One more question since you are all so very Helpful ......I can not see the difference except for size in the JR and Standard they both hold the same weight ......If you are shorter should you by the Jr .....I am 5'5"

My Gut would be to by the Standard which of course is more money, but I do weigh a bit over 200 lbs ?? I want to be comfortable.

Thank You all in advance for any help you can send my way !

I hope I will be able to pay all your kindness forward :-)

Joanne

Travelscoot's website should be much clearer as to who may benefit from the Jr. Model. Besides the size specification differences stated on the website, the website should also state the measurement from when seated to the foot rests as this can impact comfort and overall balance when in use. The website should also clearly state the height ranges for both scooters As with any mobility equipement if you do not purchase the proper size for your body than you risk doing more harm to yourself than good. Given that you have bad Knees placing the knees in the wrong angle may result in further complications. I'm of the opinion that you should be consulting with vendor as to which model would better serve you.

There was another post in the last year that the person was considering purchasing the Jr Model because it was cheaper and after having spoken directly to the vendor ( and having the decision made by CC posters ) the standard model was found to be the more suitable option.

Oh Yes ,before I spend this kind of money I will make sure of ALL those things by talking in depth to someone at there Website.

I am assuming there is No Brick and Motar store you can just go in and try one out ? Did you buy yours on line ?

I can see that the JR is 3 inches smaller than the Standard by the measurements. I think the smaller ones must be for people of smaller stature.

I honestly just started nosing around the C.C. site for some Idea about Traveling with a Scooter when I came across all your helpful postsand then read about This Travel Scoot scooter. It will be more than worth the money to have new found mobility.

I have rented a mobility scooter from "Special Needs At Sea" for our next cruise at New Years and we also have a HC. cabin, so this will be my first venture with any kind of a scooter on the ship .....I have gleaned a lot of useful info from just reading all your posts.

I am mobile but really have a tough time walking those darn long piers, we always seem to dock at. We always say if our name is on a ticket we are always at the furthest gate in an airport or the longest pier on a cruise. LOL

Thanks Again for your Help !

Joanne

When you call the people at travelscoot ask them if anyone near them has agreed to let someone see their scoot. I have gotten calls several times and met some very nice people just this way. I like showing mine off. I am 6 ft 2 inches and of course have the standard model. When you speak with them they ask for your height and weight and assist with an appropriate size. Mine has added rings to the seat pole which was quite helpful given my height.

@ Katisdale

Thank you for the heads up ,when I spoke with Bonnie today that is exactly what she suggested ! She said they are not right for everyone but I am praying it will be a good fit for me ;-)

There are 2 people here in my area that she is going to call tomorrow and ask if I/we might come and look at it and maybe take it for a little test drive ......I am hoping this could be the answer to making my mobilty while traveling so much easier !

Thank Goodness for this C.C. site and people like you :-)

Joanne

I am 4' 11" tall and I use the standard sized Travelscoot. I keep the seat at the lowest setting and it is perfect for me. I've had mine since 2009 and I have given a number of "demos" for Tony too. I live in VA about 70 miles sw of DC. I had to purchase mine "cold turkey" but I did a lot of research before I purchased so it worked out well for me.

Hi Martini Girly,Nieciez & Katisdale !

Well it is day 4 since I read this C.C. thread and learned about the Travel Scoot !

I have looked on You tube and anywhere else I can, to gleen any info or pictures of people using their this Little Scooter!

When I went to the link you sent Martini Girly many of my questions were answered and I so appreciate the pictures, of the lovely ladies on their scooters thanks for sending it. That site has wonderful cruise travel info and suggestions.

I have decided to just Cold Turkey it as you did Nieciez. The Scooter looks right for me. It is an investment for sure, BUT if it gives me more mobility w/o having to rely on my DH that will be worth it.

I hope I can put a lot of happy miles on my Travel Scoot.

I have to wait until they are in stock again next month but I will order it very soon !

Thank You I have learned so much from Ya'll :-)

Joanne

Archived