Best cruise freebies/upgrades/bonuses

tacomaguy20

I was wondering if anyone has a tips for finding the best deals on the travel sites. I just searched about 10 of them for the same cruise. I was looking for the best price, and I found that some offer pre paid gratuities, cabin upgrades, on board credit, coupon books, ect. This will be my first cruise but I'd like to find a good deal and I don't just consider price only. I think that pre paid gratuities for instance might save me money in the long run even if the cabin costs me a little more. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to find these deals or more importantly, which deals to keep an eye out for.

Go to the websites of all the cruise lines that interest you, and sign up for both email and snail mail stuff for specials. I have had some amazing deals from these. Some I have had to pass on because of the airfare. Beware of the coupon book offers. they generally require you to buy something expensive at a discount. such as Spa treatments, etc. EM

Over the years, I have build an Excel file of TAs that at least claim to be discount. When I cruise, if someone says they got a good deal, I ask their TA's name and add it to the file. When time to book, I work my way thru the sites to find the best price.

There's a website that lets travel agencies compete for your cruise booking. I used to use it a lot until I found a TA with whom I've booked all of our recent cruises. Even if we are paying a little bit more, his service has been worth it.

Coupon books, btw, are basically worthless unless you were already planning to purchase the items offered in them.

Paul and geoherb. Do you mind sharing?

I'm sure they wouldn't mind, but it's against the forum guidelines (assuming I've interpreted them correctly myself ;)).

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Edited by idalia

• 2 years later...

Prepaying gratuities does not save you any money. They will be paid so will not be on your final bill but you have still paid them.

Coupon books aren't really worth anything, you still have to buy things to take advantage of them.

Compare prices and don't forget to also call the cruise lines. Carnival & Royal Caribbean do not allow TAs to charge less than their prices. We now only book, usually on line 1st thing in the morning. Have seen prices go up maybe 3 times as the day progresses!