Review of FOOD on Riviera 6/17 Lisbon to Rome(Work in progress)

reposado

Continued...

Jacques "finest selection of AOC french cheese." Woah who cut the cheese! I enjoy cheese; even the slightly more pungent stuff... but I was not prepared for this... at all. Lets just say some smelled like toe jam while others a variety of body odors in a crowded Rome no air conditioning subway in the summer(which we got to experience first hand at the end of cruise). The mold is very visible on some pieces and it tastes very "well aged" to put it nicely. I will not review this plate since it would be like a non-alcohol drinker reviewing fine wine I suppose. However be warned... this dish I consider to be for expert cheese eater only.

The more pungent the smell the better the taste (IMO) :D - the softer, creamier texture is a plus too. I am with caviargal on this one.

That plate looks amazing - I bet it had Livarot on it.

Edited by Paulchili

Our first O cruise isn't till November and we've got another one booked for next year. Been reading the posts here for only about two months now and this might be the best thread I've come across yet.

It's the food that lured us to Oceania and reading the menus (over and over every day) can only tell you so much about what the experience will be. These pictures are really better than the proverbial thousand words.

Thank you very much for posting!

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. We are booked on our first Oceania cruise next year and looking forward to the food and service.

Can you please expand on your comment re the difficulty in getting dinner reservations? Did you attempt to book online in advance? Or did you choose to have your butler handle it once aboard?

Since we are booked in a standard cabin, I am now concerned that we will be last on the list for dining in the specialty restaurants. We do prefer to dine later, about 8-8:30, and wondering about the popularity of those times.

Thanks.

We are sailing on July 19 for 15 days on Lands of Time. We are in a lower cabin as well (C - Deluxe Outside) on a GTY. I was sure to make our Specialty Restaurant reservations online very early the first day and we got most of our first choices. I had to go to our second choice of date to get that 7:30 table for 2 at Jacques, but no problems if you are the early bird on reservations.

Our sailing is completely waitlisted also. You should be fine with around 8:30 requested time. I saw that time available on every reservation I made. It was the 7:30 and 8 that seemed to be so popular.

Good luck!

Our first O cruise isn't till November and we've got another one booked for next year. Been reading the posts here for only about two months now and this might be the best thread I've come across yet.

It's the food that lured us to Oceania and reading the menus (over and over every day) can only tell you so much about what the experience will be. These pictures are really better than the proverbial thousand words.

Thank you very much for posting!

Your welcome. Compliments motivates me to keep going.

Continuing...

The lamb chops in the grand dining room at breakfast. This is the main reason to head to the dinning room for breakfast. 3/5. Order it with mint jelly and its a great way for carnivores to start a day. This same dish is available nightly in the terrace cafe(but not breakfast).

P1000295.jpg

A fish dish served at breakfast in grand dining room. Did not try the dish so no comment....

P1000296.jpg

Eggs benedict and some mushrooms at grand dining room breakfast. Also available daily at terrace cafe. 3/5. not bad, nothing special either.

P1000297.jpg

The "surf and turf" burger at waves grill. 3/5. Pretty good except not enough meat to bun ratio as you can see in the picture. You can order it with double meat Im sure without problems if you wish. :rolleyes:

4/5 for the fries. Crunchy on the outside and mushy and warm on the inside. Just the right amount of salt and a nice splash of cheese. Yes! go on the diet before the cruise because you'll need it.

P1000299.jpg

The kobe burger at waves grill. Did not try since I only have one stomach. Looks pretty darn good tho.

P1000300.jpg

Typical little sandwiches you find at baristas or executive lounges. Take it with you and enjoy it on your balcony(or poolside). 3/5 decent. There are plenty of varieties and tastes better than it looks.

P1000366.jpg

Great photos. Please don't be shy about snapping away in Polo Grill. My taste buds perk in anticipation. Luckily I won't gain an ounce viewing photos or during our 18 days voyage on Marina while enjoying Polo rack of lamb, roast beef and pork. And the gravey...!!! And that is only the beginning!:)

Cheese trolley at jacques. If you enjoy stinky cheese you'll love this one. If you look closely you'll notices this cheese trolly has different cheese selection than the trolley at main dining room(pictured above).

P1000386.jpg

A fried spinach and cheese dumping dish at Jacques. 1/5. pass unless you really love fried foods. With the sweet sauce reminded me of eggrolls served in unauthentic Chinese restaurants. Only reason we had it was because they were handing it out to everyone.

P1000389.jpg

We all know by now Jacques bread has its named baked on... But, during the trip we sampled a couple of baguettes in french markets in France and it tasted the exact same as these. Nice job Oceania.

P1000391.jpg

Edited by reposado

Great photos. Please don't be shy about snapping away in Polo Grill. My taste buds perk in anticipation. Luckily I won't gain an ounce viewing photos or during our 18 days voyage on Marina while enjoying Polo rack of lamb, roast beef and pork. And the gravey...!!! And that is only the beginning!:)

If you have not noticed I am a full carnivore... Oh trust me... polo grill is coming....

Foie Gras Terrine at Jacques. The only thing I love more than Foie Gras are sweet uni and expertly prepared sushi(no... not the "sushi for beginners" in terrace grill). 5/5. These dont disappoint; a must get for Foie Gras or even liver pate lovers. Add the included jelly and you get a sweet liverly bliss all on crunchy bread. Awesome dish.

P1000394.jpg

I usually do the "Foie Gras double" at Jacques - terrine for the appetizer and sautéed for the entree.

I will do so especially now, after the July 1st CA ban on foie gras :mad:

As a fellow Californian dont get me started on the Foie Gras ban. :mad:

Speaking of the Foie Gras...

The Sauteed Foie Gras has been replaced by this in Jacques. 3/5 This dish was overall tasty but disappointing. Taste more strongly of olive oil rather than Foie Gras. Comes with breadsticks to dip in.

P1000397.jpg

Dont be upset however... Jacques added two new appetizers that are both excellent.

First is a crab wrapped with spinach with cream sauce. 5/5 Delicious. Intricate. Creative. A cool refreshing french version of the crab cake. Dont miss this if your a lover of crab like I am.

P1000395.jpg

opened view...

P1000396.jpg

Edited by reposado

The second new appetizer at Jacques is cubed Lobster with a layer of thin daikon radish as blanket, over that a sweet glaze and topped off with caviar. 5/5. Moist lobster mixed with the oceanic flavor of caviar. The daikon adds a much needed crisp texture while the sweet glaze smooths it all out. A must try.

P1000398.jpg

P1000399.jpg

Edited by reposado

Those two new ones look very enticing.

For Californians who are regretting that disappearance of foie gras, that may not be permanent.

CBS News in NYC reported a day or two ago that some other state (I forget which) passed a similar ban ... it took 8 years to take effect, and 2 years to be repealed.

I'm not sure of the background however (as to why or how the repeal took place) ... As an animal lover I don't like reading how we get foie gras, then again I don't like these kind of bans. Color me conflicted! I guess it's easier seeing how we get French or Italian truffles ... 60 Minutes told me that I don't want Chinese truffles ...

Mura

For Californians who are regretting that disappearance of foie gras, that may not be permanent.

CBS News in NYC reported a day or two ago that some other state (I forget which) passed a similar ban ... it took 8 years to take effect, and 2 years to be repealed.

I'm not sure of the background however (as to why or how the repeal took place) ... As an animal lover I don't like reading how we get foie gras, then again I don't like these kind of bans. Color me conflicted!

Mura

It was Chicago, I believe, that overturned the ban 2 years later - here is to hoping :D Despite the 2 new good looking appetizers, I will miss my sauteed foie gras :(

As far as animal cruelty goes- I am not sure if I'd rather be a duck at foie gras farm or a chicken at one of the large "poultry factories/mills" (which of course are legal and not opposed by animal rights groups), but I think the former.

But I am way OT :)

Continuing on...

Snacks they gave us when we ordered a drink at martini. Not available all the time I believe.

P1000240.jpg

Lobster Risotto at Toscana. Excellently prepared. Risotto cooked perfectly(al dente style). Flavor was rich and creamy with large chunks of lobster. 5/5 a much try if you enjoy risotto.

P1000250.jpg

I'm all about the snacks and my husband will be all over that lobster risotto--or any kind of risotto for that matter. I am enjoying your review and appreciate the time you are spending on it! We will be on the Riviera in March 2013. It is our fourteenth cruise but our first with Oceania. Thanks, Kathy

The Ship is our destination. I am dieting in preparation. I am forwarding this to my DH to assist in getting agreement to keep the February Cruise as I am booking a December cruise. Different itinerary but the ship is still the destination as we have been to all of the places on both cruises. He will love the stinky cheese. Thanks again reposado and please keep it coming.

The Ship is our destination. I am dieting in preparation. I am forwarding this to my DH to assist in getting agreement to keep the February Cruise as I am booking a December cruise. Different itinerary but the ship is still the destination as we have been to all of the places on both cruises. He will love the stinky cheese. Thanks again reposado and please keep it coming.

Welcome guys!

Continued...

Pot of Mussels at Jacques. Strong white wine flavor. 3/5 solid dish. Not the best I've had but better than most.

P1000401.jpg

Baked onion soup with cheese crust at Jacques. Flavor is bold and strong. A classic well prepared french onion soup. However I found it a bit too salty for my taste. A very subjective 2/5.

P1000402.jpg

Escargots at Jacques. Cant be a french restaurant without these critters. I found them tasting like how it always does the 5-6 times I've tried them in various venues. Somewhat flavorless and soaked with butter. 3/5 good if you like Escargots. Notice the cool "instruments" that comes with the dish.

P1000403.jpg

I believe this is a new dish. The fried orange duck at Jacques. As someone who has had many different sorts of good roasted ducks in Chinese restaurants I must say this dish was sub par. 1/5. Duck is supposed to be the tender/juicy/fatty cousin to chicken. A bird who is all dark meat. Duck is best roasted/baked/grilled instead of fried IMO. A few pieces were overcooked and dried out. Maybe I had a bad duck night? :confused:

P1000406.jpg

Edited by reposado

Reposado, please keep up the great work. A lot of us are absolutely loving the photos and descriptions of the food you experienced on board. Thank You.

Mura, being an upcoming first-time Oceania passenger on the Riviera Lands of Time Cruise, recently I attempted to book the specialty restaurants. It was already a case of most being heavily booked and I found it difficult to obtain the bookings I would have liked. Most of my bookings, booked almost two weeks ago, were for the earliest time slot. One month out the choice of available bookings was narrowing.

For those who love Fois Gras, IMHO, the French will never give up their hold on that product. Whilst touring South Western France late last year, we witnessed an abundant mass of Geese, Ducks, on their respective farms, all waiting to supply the local market. Also in the shops, there was an excess of available fois gras product packed in many different ways. From huge cans, to small cryovac type packages. Fois Gras in profusion. Perhaps for those devotees, a mail order parcel could be organised, where the product is banned from being retailed or something similar. I could actually recommend a trip to the beautiful Dordogne, Perigord, Lot, Vezere valleys etc. Beautiful rural France.

The escargot is now a more traditional presentation - I think the original one was a bit too different for most people.

I love duck but I am with you - I can do without the "orange" part. I am surprised that the duck didn't taste good because it sure looks good (sans orange).

I love confit de canard or Chinese style duck (roasted, BBQ or Peking).

Please keep 'em coming :D

Edited by Paulchili

For those who love Fois Gras, IMHO, the French will never give up their hold on that product. Whilst touring South Western France late last year, we witnessed an abundant mass of Geese, Ducks, on their respective farms, all waiting to supply the local market. Also in the shops, there was an excess of available fois gras product packed in many different ways. From huge cans, to small cryovac type packages. Fois Gras in profusion. Perhaps for those devotees, a mail order parcel could be organised, where the product is banned from being retailed or something similar. I could actually recommend a trip to the beautiful Dordogne, Perigord, Lot, Vezere valleys etc. Beautiful rural France.

Indeed, Dordogne and Perigord is duck and foie gras country.

Alas, even shipments to CA are a no-no now.

I guess we'll just have to go there (or Hungary). :D

Oh yes Fois Gras from Hungary. What an experience it was eating the Goose Liver there. What memories, especially now that cholesterol problem overrules. The Goose Liver experience of Budapest, to me, was superior to any I have enjoyed in France.

Thank you for the reminder.

More lovely photos please Reposado!

Thank you for the fabulous reviews and photos. We are on the same Riviera itinerary in September, and are so looking forward to everything (except the extra pounds we'll be taking home!) But all the way through this wonderful thread, we've been waiting for the most amazing fish dish in Red Ginger. Please...dish on the fish!

Thanks!!!

Thank you for the fabulous reviews and photos. We are on the same Riviera itinerary in September, and are so looking forward to everything (except the extra pounds we'll be taking home!) But all the way through this wonderful thread, we've been waiting for the most amazing fish dish in Red Ginger. Please...dish on the fish!

Thanks!!!

Welcome! I am doing them in chronological order, so even tho I've done Toscana we will cover some more of their dishes later in the cruise. :)

The Prime Rib at Jacques with hand cut fries. One of the many prime rib offerings on Riviera. 4/5 great dish. Comes standard as medium rare(perfectly cooked). Tender and juicy. Comes with the standard Horseradish. The thickened Au Jus(upper right corner, not fully pictured) is meaty flavored and not overly salted. I prefer to dip the Au Jus instead of poured over the meat. The fries were a bit too crunchy for me. Personally I prefer the ones at waves grill.

Note the steak knife. Feels weighted in your hands and well balanced. A note about the silverware use on Riviera... its a quality that is simply not found in most fine restaurants.

P1000407.jpg

Dessert cart at Jacques.

P1000390.jpg

Mille dessert at Jacques. There is something very satisfying textually speaking when biting into layers of thin crispy puff pastry with light cream in between. These taste as good as it looks. Order a cup of decaf/tea/milk with it and Enjoy ladies!

P1000408.jpg

Edited by reposado

My wife Judy and I were on the same cruise (hello to all the new friends we met). With few exceptions the food was fabulous. As far as the specialty restaurants reservations, we reserved our 4 allowed prior to the cruise. We were able to get 4 more onboard either through our butler (Ismail, outstanding) or by showing up late in the seating (830-845). We were never turned away although I'm sure they would have liked to. "No" and "I'm sorry sir" was never in anyone's vocabulary. The ship staff, every single one of them, were simply superb.

PS I recently posted a cruise review (the second of only two on Riviera)