Review of FOOD on Riviera 6/17 Lisbon to Rome(Work in progress)

reposado

Everyone will get their 4 guranteed specialty reservations. And yes, definitely go online in advance to book them. Its getting more than one shot at each specialty restaurant(especially on a full and shorter cruise) that was the challenge. The menu is fairly lengthy and with only one go its impossible to try even half of menu(unless you have a butler who can bring the food to your room).

We just returned from 14 days aboard the Mariner and had no problem with reservations at the speciality restuarants. We booked 4 of them before we left home and then were offered two additional ones. We have traveled on Oceania 5 times now and the staff is exceptionally good. They appear to be happy to work for Oceania and many of them have been with the line since the beginning which speaks highly of the company. One of the butlers was an assistant waiter when we met him in 2006 and he is now a butler on the Mariner.

Sea Bass is my favorite entree aboard the Marina, followed by the cole slaw served at Wave's. Wish I could get their recipe for the cole slaw. We are looking forward to our cruise in March aboard the Riviera. Your photos are amazing. May I ask you what camera you are using?

When we were in Red Ginger on the Marina the chef's special was scallops prepared in the same way as the sea bass.(not usually offered)

The best I have ever tasted!

And scallops are sustainable which is getting to be a real issue with the Sea Bass.

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/how_we_work/conservation/marine/sustainable_fishing/sustainable_seafood/seafood_guides/

I didn't see your post, Paul. Twinners! :)

You know what they say about great minds? :D

Too bad mine isn't so great - but at least I think like your great mind does :)

Edited by Paulchili

Two comments: I booked my reservations as soon as I could after payment. I just arbitrarily picked dates and times (we like later too.) It was surprising that the specialty restaurants actually had a "rush" after 8 pm most times we were dining there. One thing did happen: we were on a full cruise, and at least 3-4 times in a two week period, instead of waiting at the MDR for a table for 4 or 6, we were offered a place in one of the specialities instead. Depends on the crowd that particular night.

Second: just came off Seabourn Sojourn, which is a lovely ship, very spacious, only 400 passengers. Loved that part. However, in my opinion, Oceania beat them on food. Oceania has so much variety and creativity in their menus. They don't hit it out of the park all the time, but Seabourn, while it had lovely, well prepared food, seemed like they were playing it safe. Enjoy Oceania dining!

Second: just came off Seabourn Sojourn, which is a lovely ship, very spacious, only 400 passengers. Loved that part. However, in my opinion, Oceania beat them on food. Oceania has so much variety and creativity in their menus. They don't hit it out of the park all the time, but Seabourn, while it had lovely, well prepared food, seemed like they were playing it safe. Enjoy Oceania dining!

That was our experience on the Sojourn as well - nothing wrong with the food per se but not in the same league with O class ships.

Sea Bass is my favorite entree aboard the Marina, followed by the cole slaw served at Wave's. Wish I could get their recipe for the cole slaw. We are looking forward to our cruise in March aboard the Riviera. Your photos are amazing. May I ask you what camera you are using?

Thanks! Just a simple point n click. Nothing fancy. I think its the food making the picture look better not the other way around.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FH25K-16-1MP-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B004NBZ8DQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341965941&sr=8-2&keywords=lumix

Continuing on...

Lamb chop from Red Ginger. I believe this is a new dish from Red Ginger. Common sense tells me this should be the same lamb served during breaking and terrace cafe nightly. However, I enjoyed the meat from this dish more. 5/5. Perhaps its the expert soy sauced based seasoning, the delicious crust, or the fantastic presentation. Either way, I tried the dish twice and found it better than the other lamb chops found elsewhere on the ship(those were great, but this one was superb).

P1000616.jpg

Lobster Pad Thai from Red Ginger. We all know by this point Oceania dont skimp on ingredients and this dish was no exception. You will never find lobster pad thai with chunks of lobsters as big as these on any land restaurant. 2/3. As someone who has had lots of pad thai, these were average. One of the more filling dish served on the Riviera.

P1000617.jpg

Red Ginger has its own set of asian inspired dessert. Wife and I both enjoyed them. The ginger creme brulee was a pleasant mix up of the traditional version served elsewhere. A gratifying finish to an excellent meal.

P1000618.jpg

P1000619.jpg

An extraordinary brunch served at the main dining room.

Cocktail shrimp the size of your fist. The black kettle on the right contained one of the best halibut cream soup I had. Had it not once, twice, but three times!

P1000627.jpg

"The bread alone – made from provincial French flour using exacting master baker techniques – is reason enough for a sail ." I am not sure if the bread alone is enough(I need my protein), but yes, the quality of bread is on the same level as those I tried in France.

P1000628.jpg

Dessert overload! So many its impossible to just try one of each.

P1000632.jpg

P1000630.jpg

These below has been posted but its served at the same brunch so I'll just post them again.

P1000629.jpg

P1000626.jpg

P1000634.jpg

Check out the harp and other decorations made our of carbs.

P1000633.jpg

There are lots more food I left out from the brunch(or shouldnt post because my wife are on them), if I knew I was going to make this thread I would have taken more. :(

Are we done yet? NO.

Believe it or not there are more food to come!

Edited by reposado

Sailing Riviera in Sept, can't wait, still some weight to lose!

I have had to totally revise my weight lose plan due to these pictures! And because of these pictures we booked a second Riviera cruise. We have had the March cruise booked for about a year and now have booked one in December. Like alot of you the ship is the destination as we also have previously visited these ports.

Thank you reposado, please keep the pictures and ratings coming.

Edited by Dbedros

Thanks, Reposado. I have a predecessor to your camera (Panasonic DMC-TZ3) that broke during our "Islands in the Sun" cruise this past February. Camera's lens cover is stuck shut, so I need to get a replacement. Your food photos are catalog worthy!

I have had to totally revise my weight lose plan due to these pictures! And because of these pictures we booked a second Riviera cruise. We have had the March cruise booked for about a year and now have booked one in December.

Huh? Your revised weight loss plan includes another Riviera cruise? :confused: Good luck is all I can say.

...Lamb chop from Red Ginger. I believe this is a new dish from Red Ginger. Common sense tells me this should be the same lamb served during breaking and terrace cafe nightly. However, I enjoyed the meat from this dish more. 5/5. Perhaps its the expert soy sauced based seasoning, the delicious crust, or the fantastic presentation. Either way, I tried the dish twice and found it better than the other lamb chops found elsewhere on the ship(those were great, but this one was superb).

Reposado, this thread is addictive!

Lamb more enjoyable at Red Ginger, possibly the double-cut chops helped? I know I often enjoy thicker cuts. Also these look medium-rare, vs. the single chops at medium or medium well in the breakfast photo. Of course it could be simple variation one piece to the next - I like to say that lamb is the pinot noir of meat - pinot being a somewhat finicky grape to grow & vinify, often disappointing but the good ones are sublime ;)

I really enjoyed that clip - almot as much, but not quite as much as I am enjoying reposado's pictures.

Thank you for posting it :D

That video is hysterical!!! So glad you posted it. :)

Glad y'all enjoyed the video. 'Get the Sea Bass' is a catch-phrase in our house.

Reposado, this thread is addictive!

Lamb more enjoyable at Red Ginger, possibly the double-cut chops helped? I know I often enjoy thicker cuts. Also these look medium-rare, vs. the single chops at medium or medium well in the breakfast photo. Of course it could be simple variation one piece to the next - I like to say that lamb is the pinot noir of meat - pinot being a somewhat finicky grape to grow & vinify, often disappointing but the good ones are sublime ;)

Ahh, someone that agrees with me; another lamb fan! I just love the flavor of lamb and enjoy it many ways. In fact, I've got some lamb chops marinating in hot teriyaki sauce right now that will be on the grill in a few more hours. One of the things that really has me sold on O cruising is the decadent thought that I can actually have lamb chops for breakfast in the MDR each morning!

I saw this picture on another thread posted by Jim & Stan. I don't know if these are the breakfast chops or whatever but they sure have me salivating.

140451.jpg

Edited by S O B

OK, so now I have to worry about my entire trip - not just the 5 days in Paris and 2 in Barcelona prior to the cruise. I've been so glad to have lost a few pounds recently; now I have to be more diligent if I plan to fit into any of my clothes onboard. May need to rethink what I pack and just rely on stretchy clothes :)

Seriously, really looking forward to experiencing this ship!

Ahh, someone that agrees with me; another lamb fan! I just love the flavor of lamb and enjoy it many ways. In fact, I've got some lamb chops marinating in hot teriyaki sauce right now that will be on the grill in a few more hours. One of the things that really has me sold on O cruising is the decadent thought that I can actually have lamb chops for breakfast in the MDR each morning!

I saw this picture on another thread posted by Jim & Stan. I don't know if these are the breakfast chops or whatever but they sure have me salivating.

140451.jpg

Now if these were pork chops, then you would have my interest & attention :D

Lamb is the ONLY meat this carnivor avoids :)