Review of FOOD on Riviera 6/17 Lisbon to Rome(Work in progress)

reposado

Re the "cholesterol" comment about the shrimp in a prior post, not to worry: the cholesterol in all shellfish is the GOOD type of cholesterol...

(Of course, any breading and oil in fried shrimp or the butter in scampi definitely represents the bad cholesterol...)

140451.jpg

The above photo of lamb chops is definitely not from breakfast in the GDR. They are mostly gray and for the most part well done. I still enjoy them but have given up on medium, never mind rare!

That photo looks more like pork to me.....but I could be wrong.

Mo

Loved that video too. Made me nostalgic not only for sea bass but for a a time when movies were cleverly written.

As I read your comment I was listening to a mini-clip from Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House which had me roaring ... such hysterical dialogue.

Mura

Ahh, someone that agrees with me; another lamb fan! I just love the flavor of lamb and enjoy it many ways. In fact, I've got some lamb chops marinating in hot teriyaki sauce right now that will be on the grill in a few more hours. One of the things that really has me sold on O cruising is the decadent thought that I can actually have lamb chops for breakfast in the MDR each morning!

I saw this picture on another thread posted by Jim & Stan. I don't know if these are the breakfast chops or whatever but they sure have me salivating.

140451.jpg

There was a time when many Americans had a dislike for lamb. Don't really know why and this might no longer be true. As a child I grew up in a home where lamb and other roasts were the norm and not the exception. I enjoy a good lamb chop as well as a good rib eye steak...but please...mint sauce and not mint jelly. Roast pork butt last night with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatos. gravey and even greens and apple sauce. Ahhh, reminds me lunch is near.

PS. I married a Brit. And don't tell me English cooking isn't good.:)

There was a time when many Americans had a dislike for lamb. Don't really know why and this might no longer be true. As a child I grew up in a home where lamb and other roasts were the norm and not the exception. I enjoy a good lamb chop as well as a good rib eye steak...but please...mint sauce and not mint jelly. Roast pork butt last night with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatos. gravey and even greens and apple sauce. Ahhh, reminds me lunch is near.

PS. I married a Brit. And don't tell me English cooking isn't good.:)

When I was in high school (maybe junior high -- NOT middle school) my father was inaccurately diagnosed with gout. So Mom served lamb about twice a week. I couldn't stand it. Probably because it was served so often.

Later on the doctor realized the misdiagnosis and Mom stopped serving lamb all the time.

Quite a while later I came to realize that I really LOVE lamb! When I'm on an Oceania cruise and see that lamb is available, I always order it.

As we often say, TO EACH HIS OWN.

I love the breakfast lamb chops in GDR ...

And I also cannot abide mint jelly! When I serve lamb it is with a wonderful garlic sauce, courtesy of Julia Child I THINK.

Mura

Mura,

TO EACH HIS/HER OWN has limitations. When you have the last lamb chop and my plate is barren of the Aussie or Kiwi critter your lamb becomes mine! But as a gentlemen I will share.

Ron:):)

Thanks, Reposado. I have a predecessor to your camera (Panasonic DMC-TZ3) that broke during our "Islands in the Sun" cruise this past February. Camera's lens cover is stuck shut, so I need to get a replacement. Your food photos are catalog worthy!

your welcome and thanks for all the encouraging comments!

continuing on...

The chips/salsa and buffalo wings canapes. If you are not in a room where they serve daily canapes, dont fret because your not missing out on much. While the flavors are not horrible, we are on an oceania ship so the bar is SKY HIGH. Compared to the offering on the rest of the ship this can be easily skipped. Many cruisers like the fact that snacks are delivered to your room and can be enjoyed while looking out the balcony... I'd rather just head to barista or even waves/terrace grill(if open) to grab my own snacks. As mura said.. to each his own. :p

P1000761.jpg

I enjoy buffalo wings and these are nothing like I've had. Buffalo wings are supposed to be deep fried and these taste grilled. And whats with the removing part of the meat to make little drumsticks? Again, flavors are okay, but nothing too exciting either.

P1000762.jpg

Edited by reposado

And whats with the removing part of the meat to make little drumsticks?

That is a butchery technique called "frenching", and it is supposed to make the wings easier to eat and make for a more elegant presentation.

IMG_0117.jpg

"Artichoke and Parmesan Cheese Timbale with Black Truffle Sauce and Arugula Infused Oil" from Toscana. 4/5 These were delicious! While the flavor of truffle was not as strong as I hoped, the baked artichoke smothered with the rich but surprisingly light parmesan cheese sauce takes over your senses. A very satisfying dish.

P1000766.jpg

"Sliced Eggplant rolled and sautéed with Roasted Minced Veal Stuffing and Basil, baked in Fresh Tomato Sauce." Look at the picture and Imagine the flavors of eggplant, sauteed veal, cheese, and tomato sauce combined together in a balanced manner in which none overpowers another... it basically tastes exactly as you imagined. 3/5 A well executed classic Italian dish.

P1000767.jpg

Toscana pasta of the day. Every specialty restaurant will usually have a "chefs dish of the day" that is not on the menu. Normally made from the fresh ingredients shipped in while in port. Typically more often than not it seems to be a fish dish from my limited experience. Todays special was a cream sauce pasta with salmon and asparagus. 3/5. Nothing that blows the taste buds but again a well prepared dish. The flaw of this dish however is there should have been more pasta to meat ratio... unlike land restaurants who usually skimp on the meat, this dish has the opposite issue. The noodle tasted so darn satisfying we wanted more of it; we found ourselves eating the salmon/asparagus in the end w/out any carbs left.

P1000768.jpg

Edited by reposado

That is a butchery technique called "frenching", and it is supposed to make the wings easier to eat and make for a more elegant presentation.

IMG_0117.jpg

Thanks for the info Jim(or stan...whoever is posting). ;)

Pesto Gnocchi from Toscana. Toscana does its pasta well. In fact after leaving the ship we spent 3 days in Rome. We researched restaurant reviews and visited some of the best reviewed Italian restaurant per tripadvisor and were mostly disappointed. Toscana's pasta dishes in our opinion was similar in style(thus authentic) however overall better tasting than what is served up in the capital of Italy. Subjective? of course. But I believe many cruisers who have experienced both will agree. Tip: you can order up the pasta dishes as appetizer sizes to sample them. We had a plate with three different styles of Toscana pasta however unfortunately I cant find the picture of it. Overall the pastas offering in Toscana is a solid 4/5. And yes, these Gnocchi were chewy, creaming, and little bites of potato heaven.

P1000769.jpg

Edited by reposado

Seafood Linguine from Toscana.3/5. Might as well call it seafood in tomato sauce with a touch of pasta. Another reason I like the pure pasta dishes without the meat so they cant skimp on the darn pasta! :o

However much I complained about the amount of protein, as a seafood lover I devoured the nice variety of seafood present. And by limiting the amount of carbs it allowed us more room to sample other offerings.

P1000770.jpg

Edited by reposado

Looks lovely to me ... maybe I should rethink my position on Toscana! (We've never been big fans, no matter what the ship.)

Seafood Linguine you say? I'll have to try it next month!

Mura

Very nice, and reminiscent of a Japanese dish named KARA AGE, which is sometimes called a "chicken lollipop" (though that is not a direct translation of kara age.

3719596989_61bc816bbd.jpg

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

Very nice, and reminiscent of a Japanese dish named KARA AGE, which is sometimes called a "chicken lollipop" (though that is not a direct translation of kara age.

Speaking of Japanese translations (and trivia) - anyone know the Japanese for "empty orchestra"?

(For "future reference" :D - it's Karaoke)

Soro no Okestura

:confused:

That may be one answer, but this is what I find at wikianswers:

Answer:

Karaoke is originally the same thing everywhere, but in Japanese it seems to have been gotten from the word orchestra (ookesutora -> Abbreviation : oke) and 空 (kara) meaning 'empty, blank, vacant'. It's written 空オケ and read [ka ra o ke].

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_English_translation_of_karaoke_from_Japanese#ixzz20U0o3aDf

Edited by Paulchili

I continue to be amazed by the food in the photos taken by Reposado... so beautifully presented and seemingly great attention to detail!! Thank you again!!

and PS - the reason you can't find decent pesto in Rome is that pesto is from Liguria!! no problem finding wonderful pesto on the coast near Rapallo for example!!

Speaking of Japanese translations (and trivia) - anyone know the Japanese for "empty orchestra"?

(For "future reference" :D - it's Karaoke)

Shoot. I knew that one, but I didn't read it in time....PLUS, you answered it for us.

I have sung karaoke (the last syllable sounds like "KAY", not "KEY") in Kyoto and it was loads of fun. My Japanese friends sang in English and I in Japanese.

We all had drinks beforehand, ahem. ;)

Oh, and during, also. :D

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

From Reposado's initial entry two weeks ago:

"...Going to bed now... I will post more tomorrow only if this thread becomes popular since it is so time consuming..."

I see that this thread passed the 10,000 views mark earlier today. I think that answers the question as to whether or not it achieved popularity.

Bravo, Reposada! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. Our embarcation is still several months away but we sure are anxious for it.

As I read your comment I was listening to a mini-clip from Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House which had me roaring ... such hysterical dialogue.

Mura

Love that movie!

"Changes to closet" [a very large dollar amount] - "I'll tell Mr. Zucker about the smoking jacket"

after a very detailed and particular description of requested paint colors by Mrs. Blandings (Myrna Loy), one workman to the other

"red, blue, yellow, white? - check" (not that I will have those quotes exactly correct...)

I enjoy a good lamb chop as well as a good rib eye steak...but please...mint sauce and not mint jelly.

And I also cannot abide mint jelly! When I serve lamb it is with a wonderful garlic sauce, courtesy of Julia Child I THINK.Mura

Some of my favorites for lamb (I'm in Reposado's camp, sweet is not what I want with savory) mint chimichurri, mint pesto, leg crusted with garlic/mustard/tamari/olive oil (and spiked with garlic slivers)...not to mention plain grilled double chops :)

Sea Bass is my favorite entree aboard the Marina, followed by the cole slaw served at Wave's. Wish I could get their recipe for the cole slaw. We are looking forward to our cruise in March aboard the Riviera. Your photos are amazing. May I ask you what camera you are using?

I have to agree...the cole slaw as the best...especially when it was prepared earlier and the cabbage has a chance to absorb the dressing...

The best other place for cole slaw IMHO is the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Chicago.They gave us the recipe but somehow, theirs tasted better than when we tried to make it at home.