Review of FOOD on Riviera 6/17 Lisbon to Rome(Work in progress)

reposado

From Reposado's initial entry two weeks ago:

"...Going to bed now... I will post more tomorrow only if this thread becomes popular since it is so time consuming..."

I see that this thread passed the 10,000 views mark earlier today. I think that answers the question as to whether or not it achieved popularity.

Bravo, Reposada! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. Our embarcation is still several months away but we sure are anxious for it.

Thanks SOB for the kind words and Hambagahle for the knowledge!

Im going to try to finish this thread up so Im going to post the rest of the pictures w/o so much blabber.

Osso Buco from Toscana. Veal Shank with shaffron infused risotto. Osso buco to me basically tastes like a high end(and extremely tender) pot roast. This one does exactly that. The risotto balances out all the protein nicely.

P1000772.jpg

Pan seared sea bass from Toscana. I liked the wine/olive oil sauce however this is a let down especially after the sea bass from Red ginger. The meat is overall a bit dry.

P1000773.jpg

Wife tried this dish in Toscana and really liked it. I believe its a new dish. Didnt try it so no comment.

P1000774.jpg

We had so much Brulee on the ship but its one of those dessert that you just cant get tired of.

P1000775.jpg

Cannoli with citrus cream. Decent.

Reminded of of a crape. Isnt it beautiful tho?

P1000776.jpg

More desserts! The cheesecake on the ship is generally very tastly... not too heavy which I like.

P1000934.jpg

There goes the Creme brulee again.

P1000935.jpg

Creamy pumpkin soup at Jacques. One excellent soup! They serve it out of a whole pumpkin which adds points for presentation and fun factor. Things are a bit messy since the butler had to carry this to our room.

P1000944.jpg

P1000945.jpg

Edited by reposado

Terrace Grill. Ahi.

P1010005.jpg

How dare that little ravioli invade my plate of seafood!

By the way the grill lobster tail is a bit inconsistant on the terrace grill. Served nightly, its moist mostly while sometimes rubbery. The specialty restaurants serves a more consistanly delicious lobster.

P1010006.jpg

Daily cured meat selection at terrace. Very european.

P1010011.jpg

More Terrace cafe.

P1010012.jpg

King crab(not snow crab which cost about 1/2) served every other night at Terrace cafe. Reminds of of my favorite item at my favorite Vegas buffet Bellagio. Oceanias king crab legs are more consistant(ie. fewer pieces that are too salty, bland, or not fresh... if you ate a lot of king crab legs like I have, you'll know what I mean) than Bellagios.

Lobster salad with large chunks of lobster behind the crab legs. Behind that a server cutting sashimi(your standard tuna, farmed salmon, and tilapia... nothing that blows your mind but somewhat tasty).

P1010009.jpg

Reposado, As I mentioned in earlier posts, your photos as really amazing. Have you considered doing a digitlal book such as Picaboo or Shutterfly just on your food experience/photos w/your captions? You can highlight all the restaurants and their best specialities.

Totally enjoying this thread and looking forward to our first Oceania cruise Aug 23. If one would like to see the show, what time would you recommend dining? I presently have specialties booked for 7:30.

Thank you.

If the shows are still on at 9:45, that should be fine. Let your server know!

Mura

If you didn't see it yet at this thread - the August 2012 Conde Nast Traveler included a "Dream Cruise Itineraries for 2013" list.

What that thread didn't mention is that the list (of 13) included Oceania's 'Mosaic Masterpiece' departs Sep 19 2013 on Riviera.

For all us foodies, one great attraction - Jacques Pepin will be on the cruise!

Nice to see 'external verification' of all the wonders Reposado has shared with us

Full disclosure: I am biased as we are already planning to be on the Sep 2013 cruise :)

Edited by babysteps

• 5 months later...

From our last Oceania trip and from booking on trip for Feb 12th of this year, it was hard to get early bookings - lots of late/later ones available. I like the early ones as my stomach appreciates earlier :o If I was younger, I'd go late and not worry.............since we've upgraded to the March 28th trip we now have to wait 49days prior to cruise before I can rebook my reservations, which, then, I was lucky to get pretty much what I wanted. Now I have to start from scratch again :( Only drawback from upgrading was loosing reservations for dining and for private excursions!!

Is anyone doing a private one to the Baths or JVD?? Having problems finding a trip I can afford or get an answer back from. Thanks.

I just want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Reposado for all the work on this wonderful food thread. It is truly amazing!

My husband and I also just booked the March 28th cruise ?...and we're having a tiny bit of buyers remorse...especially him. I've been showing him all the food pics and he feels so much better now. Especially appreciated that it seems to be ok to say 'may I have some more please?'! Some of the portions sizes had him a bit scared!

I know this is am old thread, but it really ought to have its own sticky - well done Reposado! Thanks again for taking the time to do this.

Terry

Edited by Terryd444

I too, love this thread. My sailing isn't til June, but I hope more pictures are added by other posters.

I am always in awe of those who take pictures of food, cabins, decks. I NEVER seem to remember to do it.

I hope I can "pay it forward" when I sail, and remember to take more pics!

Oh my....I'm being flooded by so many food memories from last year, & new ones are forming in my mouth as I read! Next cruise, I really have to spend more time in the GDR at breakfast & lunch, & everywhere--eating!! I want Sea Bass & I want it now! And Prime Rib, & Lobster Risotto, & Lamb, lamb, lamb, & Crab.....:eek: Too many pounds to get rid of before I go--where's the track, the Gym, the pool?

• 2 months later...

Hi there - we were on the same cruise with Ron/Angela and

Glen, and had no problems booking reservations on line 40 days I beieve before the cruise. And the later you eat the easier to get times!! The food is phenominal and if you love lobster! Well, lets just say, I got lobstered out - something I would NEVER have thought possible!! Lobster for lunch, dinner, evening - anytime except breakfast, then you could have salmon :D Sushi every night in the decadent buffet, where oh so many people found out afterward was more enticing to eat at that the major dining room - right Catherine and Elinor :) Prime rib every night, land chops, lobster etc and all desserts you could eat - awesome! Will have to get back on threads soon to say hello to all my buddies I met on cruise critics - awesome, awesome, awesome and life changing in some instances :cool:

Very nice, and reminiscent of a Japanese dish named KARA AGE, which is sometimes called a "chicken lollipop" (though that is not a direct translation of kara age.

3719596989_61bc816bbd.jpg

Chinese Chicken Drumsticks

Recipe for your enjoyment

Chicken%20Drumsticks.jpg

I have to agree...the cole slaw as the best...especially when it was prepared earlier and the cabbage has a chance to absorb the dressing...

The best other place for cole slaw IMHO is the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Chicago.They gave us the recipe but somehow, theirs tasted better than when we tried to make it at home.

Try this one

Coleslaw Recipe

I have to agree...the cole slaw as the best...especially when it was prepared earlier and the cabbage has a chance to absorb the dressing...

The best other place for cole slaw IMHO is the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Chicago.They gave us the recipe but somehow, theirs tasted better than when we tried to make it at home.

For what it's worth, my coleslaw at home is very similar. Can't give you exact measurements --but it includes Best Foods (or Hellman's) mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar (thin out the mayo with this), a bit of sugar (to taste), and celery salt. Works for me.

For what it's worth, my coleslaw at home is very similar. Can't give you exact measurements --but it includes Best Foods (or Hellman's) mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar (thin out the mayo with this), a bit of sugar (to taste), and celery salt. Works for me.

My favorite Cole Slaw is from Wave's Grill, and can't seem to get the recipe. Your recipe sounds very good. Can you be more specific as to how much you use. Celery salt or celery seed? Do you include shredded carrots in the cole slaw?

Thank you.