Train from Seattle to Vancouver arrival time enough for same day embarkation?

TravelRookie

If we chose to do a flight within the US as opposed to Canada since the flight prices seem to be a bit better, would we have enough time taking the train through the cascades (I believe is the route) that morning at 7am for an arrival time in Vancouver of Noon and be able to make our embarkation time? The cruise ship would be departing from Vancouver at 4:30pm.

The difference in air fare, even with paying for two train tickets, still comes out cheaper that the air fare from one Canadian city to another.

Of course we would arrive a day previous in Seattle and spend the night to be able to take the 7am train the next morning.

You should be fine!

Should there be an issue then Amtrak will offer a bus honouring the same schedule!

From the train station you can either take Public Transportation $2.50 per person) or a cab (About $10.00).

We too plan to take the train from Seattle to Vancouver next year. But, we'd like to come to Vancouver a day early and stay at a hotel near the pier. Anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced hotel close enough to walk to the ship?

Lib

We did exactly that in 2008 to cruise the Inside Passage. It worked perfectly. Very comfortable train ride!

We are doing the same thing this year for a northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward.

We did the same in 2009 - GREAT way to start the trip!

L.J.

Yes, you will make it to Vancouver in plenty of time and on both my previous trips the train is full of others doing the same thing. Makes it fun to talk with others along the way.

Enjoy the beautiful ride :D

You will have no trouble with the Amtrak time at all. You are less than 10 mins from Canada Place by taxi (there will be a cab line outside the station) or by SkyTrain our ELS. A cab fare will run about $10 or you can walk a block, cross Main St. to the Main St. station of SkyTrain and go to Waterfront Station which is about a 2 block walk from Canada Place. The SkyTrain fare is $2.50 Canadian funds only but the ticket machines will take most US credit cards and ATM cards.

Just got our tickets on Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. Leaves at 7:30 a.m. and priced at 30+ for a senior ticket. Tickets available through at least June 2013. FYI

Lib

Thanks for the information. How long is the train ride?

Karen

You will have no trouble with the Amtrak time at all. You are less than 10 mins from Canada Place by taxi (there will be a cab line outside the station) or by SkyTrain our ELS. A cab fare will run about $10 or you can walk a block, cross Main St. to the Main St. station of SkyTrain and go to Waterfront Station which is about a 2 block walk from Canada Place. The SkyTrain fare is $2.50 Canadian funds only but the ticket machines will take most US credit cards and ATM cards.

Would a taxi still be $10 for our family of 5? I'm debating between taxi and Skytrain

Thanks for the information. How long is the train ride?

Karen

4 hours

Would a taxi still be $10 for our family of 5? I'm debating between taxi and Skytrain

Taxis typically are small cars in Vancouver, with the Toyota Prius being the most common. There are some mini-van taxis, but I wouldn't count on one being at the station.

4 hours

With a family of 5 you will need a mini-van with a flip down rear seat. About 17% of Vancouver's cab fleet is mini-vans. If there is not one in the cab line the line attendant will call for one and you may have a wait just a few extra minutes. The rate will be the same $10 for the trip...not per person.

Just got our tickets on Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. Leaves at 7:30 a.m. and priced at 30+ for a senior ticket. Tickets available through at least June 2013. FYI

Lib

Good information and I forgot to mention that tickets are available for some 2012 dates. I was able to book our May trip already and went with business class tickets again :)

We just came back from Vancouver and NB cruise to Alaska. We were in Vancouver for a week for husband's business trip and added cruise. We were at the Hyatt Regency which has a great location and truly lovely hotel, as well as easy walk to Canada Place. We had an AAA rate that was cheaper than the conference rate. There are two Fairmont hotels right at Canada Place along with the Pan Pacific.

Archived