visas on the odyssey

helpme

We are going on the Kingdoms of the Sun in Nov 2012. I know we need visas for some of the ports do they arrange for visas on board

The docs I received for my Baltics cruise stated that I was responsible for my own visas should any be required. Sadly they didn't say which ports/countries could require one (eg: unless you have a ships or pre-arranged private tour you need one for St. Petersburg). About the least helpful I've seen a cruise line in this regard.

We are going on the Kingdoms of the Sun in Nov 2012. I know we need visas for some of the ports do they arrange for visas on board

We did this cruise in reverse in March. Despite what it says in the brochure, I think we only needed one visa for one of the ports in Oman. Seabourn organised it and I think charged us $15 each.

Thats strange as I did call Seabourne and they told me we could get them on board which I thought was strange so thank-you for your imput.

It depends on the country. For Russia, you definitely need to get it through the embassy (or take a tour). For other countries you might be able to get them on board or as you disembark.

In the Baltic the reason SB will tell you you can get the visas onboard is that they want to sell you tours. If you take their tours you do not need a visa in advance. If you get private tours through a local company like Denrus you also do not need a visa in advance as they will provide it. Only if you plan to disembark on your own do you need to get the visa on advance. Seabourn cannot provide that for you.

So I should do it online then we need one for jordan and docking at 2 differant places in oman so would one visa do for each place

Check with Seabourn. Assuming they get them on the ship (I know you need it for Oman but can't remember Jordan) I would have them get them for you if that is all you need.

Henry was talking about the Baltics and some of the ways that they try to sell tours. Everyone needs a visa for Oman regardless of whether you take a tour. Same would go for Jordan if one is required, which I just can't remember

Keith

Since Seabourn seems to be trying for worst CS re: Visas I'd recommend verifying requirements on your own prior to your cruise. As the current documents state (at least for a Balitc and again for a Med cruise) you and you alone are responsible for verifying if you need a visa and if so obtaining it. The documents also mention they can deny boarding if the guest has failed to obtain the required visas for the sailing. So while in the past people have been able to obtain the necessary visas onboard, I would not leave my vacation up to the chance that in my specific instance the after the fact onboard visas will be available.

Since Seabourn seems to be trying for worst CS re: Visas I'd recommend verifying requirements on your own prior to your cruise. As the current documents state (at least for a Balitc and again for a Med cruise) you and you alone are responsible for verifying if you need a visa and if so obtaining it. The documents also mention they can deny boarding if the guest has failed to obtain the required visas for the sailing. So while in the past people have been able to obtain the necessary visas onboard, I would not leave my vacation up to the chance that in my specific instance the after the fact onboard visas will be available.

Yes, I would want to know for sure.

And I am one who dot the eyes and crosses the t's and would not make bad assumptions or take things for granted.

However, as I sit here I am thinking why do people have TA's. This is where a good TA can be of value and earn their commissions. I would have my TA contact the right department in Seabourn and verify whether or not they will obtain these visas for you and get it in writing if necessary. This is really not rocket science and they visit these ports often. And this is a luxury line. Sometimes I read on CC that those traveling on a mass market line can't get this kind of stuff verified but on a luxury line this really should not be a problem. Again, it's not like this is the first time Seabourn is visiting these ports of call.

Keith

And I am one who dot the eyes and crosses the t's and would not make bad assumptions or take things for granted.

However, as I sit here I am thinking why do people have TA's. This is where a good TA can be of value and earn their commissions. I would have my TA contact the right department in Seabourn and verify whether or not they will obtain these visas for you and get it in writing if necessary. This is really not rocket science and they visit these ports often. And this is a luxury line. Sometimes I read on CC that those traveling on a mass market line can't get this kind of stuff verified but on a luxury line this really should not be a problem. Again, it's not like this is the first time Seabourn is visiting these ports of call.

Keith

That's why Seabourns approach is rather odd. Regent for all its faults has a system where you visit their visa partners site, enter your cruise info and get results that tell you what visas you need and your options for obtaining them. I'm not sure why Seabourn couldn't use a similar system.

That's why Seabourns approach is rather odd. Regent for all its faults has a system where you visit their visa partners site, enter your cruise info and get results that tell you what visas you need and your options for obtaining them. I'm not sure why Seabourn couldn't use a similar system.

They actually do have a similar system. We got a link to it from Seabourn for our upcoming Black Sea cruise because we need Turkish visas. Zierer Visa Service (ZVS) 1 866 788 1100 or customerservice@zvs.com. Their rep answered our emailed question within about 20 mins on a Saturday evening. They have a very helpful website, too. It is http://www.zvs.com

Keith

So true.

We did this same cruise in 2009 on one of the little girls. The ship got the Egypt, Oman and Jordan visia for us after we boarded and the cost was charged to our account. It wasn't much. Our TA and our final payment doc both told us what visas were needed, that we could get them on board and how much they would cost if we did.

Since you are worried, go on line to the US State Dep site and check the countries you will visit. Make a list of the ones needing a visa and call your TA. Give the list to the TA and get them to find out if the ship will get the visa when you dock in each country. Unless things have changed and I don't think they have. We are booked on a simular itinerary on Regent next spring and the ship will get the visas for Oman Egypt and Jordan, just like Seabourn did before. It was/is not worth the trouble to deal with a visa agency on this itinerary if Seabourn is still getting these visas.

If you want to read about our experience on this itinerary with Seabourn, we did a combo of ships tours and private tours go to

www.aroundtheworldin132days.blogspot.com

click on posts for April and then click on the post for April15, the start of the cruise. The cruise was 24 great days!

Kiltie do you have any tips for us about this cruise as I can't seem to find any reviews would love more info if you have the time or did you write a review ?

Hello again - we did this trip (at least Dubai to Istanbul) in March on the Legend - I think you will be on the Odyssey (which we have also been on). I didn't write a review but you will see one from Jay23 which was pretty accurate. The trip was absolutely super - fabulous food, wine and weather. We did NOT need visas for Jordan or Egypt - maybe that is just for British passport holders but perhaps you still have one of those as I note you live in Canada. If this is your first trip with Seabourn, see if you can get a referral coupon from someone (there is a "sticky" for this at the top of the page). That would enable you to $400 on board credit which would be very useful for excursions etc. :)

We did NOT need visas for Jordan or Egypt - maybe that is just for British passport holders but perhaps you still have one of those as I note you live in Canada.

Kiltie this is such a good point and one that is overlooked when people come on here asking very generic questions about visa requirements. There are different requirements depending on what type of passport people hold, citizenship or nationality etc.

I would always encourage everyone to check for themselves the regulations of each country being visited bearing in mind what type of passport you hold. There's too much assumption by the US majority posters here at CC that people who are posting are also US citizens, and advice is often tailored to that.

The least a person can do if they're going to ask here for advice is specify the exact type of passport they hold and list the ports they will be visiting on their cruise.

Yes I agree what country you are is a factor.

For what it is worth if you are from Scotland as Kiltie is you do need an entry visas that normally cruise ships get for you on board the ship. I just verified this on the respective web sites for those countries. We have entered there multiple times on another cruise line and these visas were obtained for us. Fee was small something like $15.00 or $20.00 per person and just hits the shipboard account so one might not have seen it and because it is an entry like visa you don't get that large sticker in your passport as you would with a traditional visa.

Either way, if this was me I would get with my TA and have them run this down for me. I probably sound like a recording by now but this is one of the reasons you have a TA and a good TA should have no problem getting this sorted out with the cruise line.

Keith

Hi everyone thank-you for your imputs this morning I contacted seabourn again and someone else did tell me that they did provide the visas on board but it was up to us to get one for entering UAE when we are departing. So I did some research called Ottawa and then found out that British Passport holders do not need a visa. So we have both Canadian and British I had filled all our guest info travelling by Canadian so now I am going to change it and travel British on the ship.

Bit new to this whats the sticky and how do I get it thank-you

Go to the first thread at the top of the page. It is best to wait until you have paid your final balance and then ask for one - just post on the thread and someone will probably oblige!

PS - occasionally it pays to be British!! (but not very often!!):D:

Archived