Clothing question - help!!

Cruisevirgin1965

We are cruising to Alaska July 8th and I am having a hard time packing. I know that I will need warm clothes for our excursions but what about on the ship? How warm will I need to dress? Will I be able to wear sandals or will I need regular shoes with socks? As well, is it usually warm in restaurants on the ship or are people dressed warmly in these locations as well.

Thanks for the prompt responses....I leave in 2 days!!

Layers!!!

I wear casual clothes,

I have a light polar fleece jacket and vest.

I always travel with a pashmina shawl (I can use it for head covering, or shoulder warmth, or just hanging around me as a accessory.)

and I have a Columbia sportswear very lightweight rain jacket that folds up to a tiny square which is the heaviest coat I take. It will fit over my fleece if need be.

Inside the ship it is usually regular room temp...so you can dress normal.

You will see lots of summer gear even in Alaska.

I wear sandals, shorts etc.

But I am from the pacific nw. So I came equipped with web feet, frizzy hair and the absolute certainty that if REI makes or sells it, it must be high fashion!

Have a blast!

This was my exact question I was getting ready to post! I am from Florida and usually on all warm cruises I live in long maxi dresses for shipwear during day and night. So I will be able to wear during dinners..makes packing easier for sure. I guess I assume being a cold weather cruise everyone will be in sweaters...

Thanks for the advice

Out on deck you will want to be dressed warmly...in most instances. Within the climate controlled interior you will find temps to be about 72* so you will be just fine with sandals and light weight apparel.

Caribbean, Alaska, or Europe I've found the inside of the ship the same for dining room, theater etc.

Now outside that is different it can be anywhere from 50's to 70's with wind/rain and can change quickly from one to the other. THus bring layers with the outer one being gortex/waterproof.

I always find restaurants cool, so I always have a light jacket or sweater that I can wear over my dining room attire if needed. For outside, layers. I have found on Alaska cruises, it can be warm enough to wear shorts, or it can be cold and rainy. The day you are viewing glaciers can be quite cold if you are on deck.

We have been in Anchorage in May when they set a high temperature record for the day.

We have been in Anchorage in June and it was in the 40's with a bitter wind chill.

Cannot figure it out either.

Best bet is to check 10 weather forcecast when closer to cruise date.

We are on the Golden to Alaska, ports: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan - doing excursions like the railroad, whale watching on a Princess excursion that where we are on the water in a catamaran. Wondering (from you that have experienced these excursions) what type of shoes to wear? Can I expect to get my feet wet? I have been on catamarans before - but in the Caribbean and wore water/sand shoes (knowing those aren't appropriate for Alaska) and didn't care if I got wet. Any suggestions are appreciated - boots? walking shoes? leather tennis shoes?

We are on the Golden to Alaska, ports: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan - doing excursions like the railroad, whale watching on a Princess excursion that where we are on the water in a catamaran. Wondering (from you that have experienced these excursions) what type of shoes to wear? Can I expect to get my feet wet? I have been on catamarans before - but in the Caribbean and wore water/sand shoes (knowing those aren't appropriate for Alaska) and didn't care if I got wet. Any suggestions are appreciated - boots? walking shoes? leather tennis shoes?

I would wear a water proof shoe with a sole that is good for slippery areas. A low cut hiking waterproof boot is actually good. I would also bring along sports shoes.

Keith

Layers is the way to go. Don't over pack. You will be fine on the ship as the public areas are very comfortable. Don't plan on a blizzard. The coldest I was during the whole trip was Glacier Bay.

Just got back to Ohio yesterday, and have to agree with the above. Take a light jacket/zippered sweatshirt to carry around. The outside areas are cool/cold (low 50's). Inside the ship it is fine in shirt sleeves. For formal nights, many dresses/outfits have sleeveless styles. Take a shawl or little cardigan to layer on top if needed. I usually wore Sketchers around the ship with jeans, t-shirt, and sweatshirt available as needed. Thought I packed light, but could have packed lighter, lol. Our stateroom was close to the laundry, which we had no trouble using. Could have taken half the clothes and just laundered more. ($2/load for washing, $2/load for drying). I packed the 3-in-one sheets by Purex that goes from laundry (soap) to dryer (anti-static) that I found at Walmart (last box there!)

Enjoy - it's a beautiful cruise :)

We are just back from two week trip, one week in Vancouver and a NB Voyage of the Glaciers cruise. I did not bring open-toed sandals except for flip-flops that I would have worn in the pool area. I wore sneakers, flats and brought one pair of heels to wear at night. I was surprised that people did get so dressed at night but they did. I had brought one dress and wore it both formal nights-we had anytime dining so that worked out fine. There were people in gowns, tuxes and spectular saris,including adorable little kids.

On deck and out and about you need to layer. I was happy that I had brought leather gloves and a wide warm wool headband to cover my ears. We packed 2 umbrellas and needed to use them quite a lot as it was a rainy week but that did not stop us from exploring.

Archived