Breakaway is coming together nicely!

ddakrt

2012_07_04_halle%206.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is Breakaway. All of Reflection is behind and definitely not AIDAstella; and with 6 decks of balconies above what looks to be the Waterfront, this has to be Breakaway right?

NCL, post more Breakaway construction pics! One great things (maybe the only great thing...) about having the Epic built at STX France was we could see the ship being built right before our eyes, we obviously can't do that this time with Breakaway being built in a giant shed...

Either way, she's coming together rather quickly!

P.S. Will/can we have a sub-forum just for Breakaway like we did for Epic prior to it being launched?

P.P.S. Anyone know who I can contact to get my screen name changed?

The more I read or hear it, the more I think 'Breakaway' is a poorly conceived name for a ship. 'Getaway', isn't much better. NCL should 'get away' from those names. If they can't come up with something better, perhaps they could generate publicity by sponsoring a 'name-the-ship' contest. I think CC readers and/or Latitude members could come up with something better. I think they should do what some other lines have, and honor some of their heritage....how about a new 'Norway'?

The more I read or hear it, the more I think 'Breakaway' is a poorly conceived name for a ship. 'Getaway', isn't much better. NCL should 'get away' from those names. If they can't come up with something better, perhaps they could generate publicity by sponsoring a 'name-the-ship' contest. I think CC readers and/or Latitude members could come up with something better. I think they should do what some other lines have, and honor some of their heritage....how about a new 'Norway'?

I agree the names stink! But the design for the Breakaway looks great...so I'm focusing on that! :D

I agree the names stink! But the design for the Breakaway looks great...so I'm focusing on that! :D

Ya both names are pretty terrible. I thought Epic was bad too but I grew to like it, don't think I'll warm to Breakaway or Getaway though.

Bob, they did have a naming contest, and that's what NCL ended up choosing... :( I get that they're trying to "get away" from the boring traditional names and give the ships an edgy vibe. I just think neither name really accomplishes what they set out to do however.

That definitely has to be Breakaway! It looks like when she is done she will be gorgeous! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here!

Has anything been released about the Getaway? I don't think anything has. Does anybody remember when things got released for Breakaway? We can judge from that time period how soon, or not, things will be released about Getaway I think.

Personally, I don't like having another Norway. She was just such a, I'm not sure what word to use. Tremendous? Monumental? Ground Breaking? For lack of a better word, awesome ship that will forever go down in history. Like how they do with jersey numbers, they should retire that name.

........ If they can't come up with something better, perhaps they could generate publicity by sponsoring a 'name-the-ship' contest. I think CC readers and/or Latitude members could come up with something better.

"Breakaway" and "Getaway" were chosen by a ship naming contest thru USA Today Travel and NCL last summer. Those two were the most popular names submitted. The ship project's name prior to the contest was Project Breakaway. It just kind of happened from there. Project Breakaway was named by the CEO, Kevin Sheehan, whose family vacation place is called the Breakaway.

The Breakaway is also being built a bit differently then the usual construction practice. They are building her vertically in sections instead of horizontally.

The ship on the left hand side of the screen is indeed the NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY. She's being built in front of the Celebrity REFLECTION and it's her back half that is being built. They've got the blocks for BREAKAWAY on the lower right hand side of the screen and keep sliding them down as they're laid in place. A few shots ago they had the SPICE H2O block in view (you could tell where the vidoe screen was going to be placed in the steel structure). :)

She's coming together quite nicely. The name has also grown on me quite a bit. The entertainment reveal, specifically ROCK OF AGES, will take a bit longer for me to get like. :eek::cool:

"Breakaway" and "Getaway" were chosen by a ship naming contest thru USA Today Travel and NCL last summer. Those two were the most popular names submitted. The ship project's name prior to the contest was Project Breakaway. It just kind of happened from there. Project Breakaway was named by the CEO, Kevin Sheehan, whose family vacation place is called the Breakaway.

The Breakaway is also being built a bit differently then the usual construction practice. They are building her vertically in sections instead of horizontally.

They were not the most popular names submitted but rather the ones NCL selected from the 1000s submitted.

They were not the most popular names submitted but rather the ones NCL selected from the 1000s submitted.

More likely that NCL had the names selected long before the contest was announced and that they just selected random winners from the people whose entries matched the names that NCL (IOW K.S.) previously selected.

They probably should have just called it a "Guess What We Are Going To Name Our New Ships" contest instead of a "Name the Ships" contest.

More likely that NCL had the names selected long before the contest was announced and that they just selected random winners from the people whose entries matched the names that NCL (IOW K.S.) previously selected.

They probably should have just called it a "Guess What We Are Going To Name Our New Ships" contest instead of a "Name the Ships" contest.

That is my theory also.

2012_07_04_halle%206.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is Breakaway. All of Reflection is behind and definitely not AIDAstella; and with 6 decks of balconies above what looks to be the Waterfront, this has to be Breakaway right?

NCL, post more Breakaway construction pics! One great things (maybe the only great thing...) about having the Epic built at STX France was we could see the ship being built right before our eyes, we obviously can't do that this time with Breakaway being built in a giant shed...

Either way, she's coming together rather quickly!

P.S. Will/can we have a sub-forum just for Breakaway like we did for Epic prior to it being launched?

P.P.S. Anyone know who I can contact to get my screen name changed?

Wow, that is one big building! Looks like theres segments of another ship in front of it yet! :eek:

Wow, that is one big building! Looks like theres segments of another ship in front of it yet! :eek:

Yup. All the blocks are final assembled there and then lifted into position.

Here is a link to another site and the discussion about the Reflection's construction with some terrific pics.

http://www.*****************/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=012388

Later in the thread you will find pics of the Breakaway's blocks under construction and the Reflection's float down to make room for the Breakaway's construction

The Celebrity Reflection is the near completed ship in the back left. The Norwegian Breakaway is in the front of that with the blocks looking like a building. That's the Breakaway's middle section. The lower right is the blocks they're about to lay onto the Breakaway. One of them is covered because they're putting the final paint on the Celebrity Reflection. :)

Archived