need suggestions for 1st timer in bermuda with teens!

luvfamvaca

Heading to Bermuda via RCI Explorer in June 2013 :D,

we will have 4 girls with us, 2 of them 16, 2 of them 19.

5 nights which means only 2 days in Bermuda. Thinking about relaxing by Horseshoe for sure one of the days, then wanted to do some activities on the other day.

Anyone try the beach party bbq at dockyard? Wild Cat boat tour?

Parasailing or Jet Ski tour? Any other suggestions? Thank you!

5 nights which means only 2 days in Bermuda. Thinking about relaxing by Horseshoe for sure one of the days, then wanted to do some activities on the other day.

DO NOT, i repeat. DO NOT rent the motor scooters. too many renter get hurt or killed each and every cruise to Bermuda. be smart, say NO.......

Thanks LOL actually that was one thing we were NOT considering! I have heard way to many horror stories about those scooters!

Wit til you see them in operation:eek:

Been there twice, both times, saw scooters that had been hit by vehicles, mirrors off, relatively minor, but scary as all get out.:eek:

Here is my short 'to do' list for Bermuda. Hopefully you and your daughters will find something that interests you and them:

The number following some of the activities is the bus route that the activity is closest to.

SBtS

We looked into the horseback riding and will plan to do that but in the early morning. We would like to ride on the beach with the tour and have the rest of the day to do more things. What could you recommend for Hamilton? Elbow beach? Do they offer kayaking or paddle boats there? What is a fun place to go have lunch in Hamilton? What is the best/quickest plan for transportation, ferry or bus? We are going to be in Royal Dockyard.

Do you know if that fellow Johnny is around greeting everyone in the traffic of Hamilton?

Yes he is. I read in the online Royal Gazette that he had some sort of "incident" this week where he fell while doing his normal morning routine of waving at the round about. They insisted he go to the hospital to check out and I understand he is doing just fine

If you wouldn't mind sharing your opinion on our tentative plans…

We are hoping to book the horseback riding early on our first day, I read we need to take taxi if it is early.

We aren't sure about after the tour, we would like to go to town and get something light to eat in Hamilton or visit Elbow Beach (if they serve snacks there?) Either of these in walking distance from the end of the horseback ride tour?

After that we would get back (is it walking distance?) to Dockyard (our ship is there; have dinner) and possibly Zip Line if it is installed (read in Gazette) and walk to find Sea Glass (heard that is a 15/20 minute walk from Dockyard? At Tobacco Bay?)

Then come back around for Destination Dockyard Monday till it closes, possibly stay for the Gombey Fire Dancers show till 10 then get back on board.

My apologies if this sounds crazy, we want to get in as much as possible since we are there a short time. (this is all coming from a family that crammed Disney World in 4 days and did pretty much everything we set out to do!)

If you wouldn't mind sharing your opinion on our tentative plans…

We are hoping to book the horseback riding early on our first day, I read we need to take taxi if it is early.

We aren't sure about after the tour, we would like to go to town and get something light to eat in Hamilton or visit Elbow Beach (if they serve snacks there?) Either of these in walking distance from the end of the horseback ride tour?

After that we would get back (is it walking distance?) to Dockyard (our ship is there; have dinner) and possibly Zip Line if it is installed (read in Gazette) and walk to find Sea Glass (heard that is a 15/20 minute walk from Dockyard? At Tobacco Bay?)

Then come back around for Destination Dockyard Monday till it closes, possibly stay for the Gombey Fire Dancers show till 10 then get back on board.

My apologies if this sounds crazy, we want to get in as much as possible since we are there a short time. (this is all coming from a family that crammed Disney World in 4 days and did pretty much everything we set out to do!)

If your arrival is at 9:00am, the earliest you could do a trail ride is 11:00am. You must arrive 30 minutes earlier for sign-in. I think you should take a taxi to the riding center.

Elbow Beach or Hmilton are not within walking distance from the riding center; you will need to take a bus/taxi to go to Elbow Beach or Hamilton. Unfortunately, the same bus does not go to both. Elbow Beach does not have a concession stand on the public beach, but the nearby hotel has restaurants.

I would go to Hamilton and eat at the Hog Penny Pub on Burnaby St which is a very short walk from the Harbor. You would take an inbound route #8 bus or taxi to get there.

After eating at the HPP, you would walk to the ferry terminal on Front St and take a ferry to the Dockyard. Yes, I saw the zip line article; sounds like fun.

Yes, there is a sea glass beach about a 20 minute walk from where the cruise ship is docked or about a 5 minute bus ride.

There are directions and a map to the sea glass beach near the Dockyard here; going by -

• bus
  • walking (provided by Bermudian CC member 32N64W)

Forget about Tobacco Bay, it is too far away for the time you have available.

Most attractions in Bermuda are not within walking distance of each other except for a few. One exception are the attractions at the Dockyard.

If you are only doing one beach, I would go to Horseshoe Bay and not Elbow Bay, JMHO.

If you use public transportation, you will need to purchase tokens or a transportation pass which are good on both the ferry and bus. FYI, cash is not accepted on the ferries.

Bermuda is not Disney World; there are no monorails or people movers. Bermuda roads are hilly, curvy and narrow. Many consider riding on a Bermuda bus a thrill ride.

Since you didn't mention day 2, I would suggest hiring taxi for a private tour The taxi driver/guide will be very pleased to show you hIs Bermuda. There is an ongoing thread here that discusses the guides. The thread is titled Bermuda private guide

SBtS

Would like to walk the 5 beaches and visit HSB..if the walk is fairly reasonable from HSB to Warwick, is Warwick anywhere near the horse ranch?

If we went horseback riding in the morning,

then to Warwick and walked to HSB to relax is that unrealistic?

(How long of a walk is it from HSB to Warwick?

Then we could take #7 back to Dockyard.

Are we better off horseback riding on day 2 since that is our shorter day?

We still need to find some time at SPB to paddleboat/kayak/zipline.

Would like to walk the 5 beaches and visit HSB..if the walk is fairly reasonable from HSB to Warwick, is Warwick anywhere near the horse ranch?

If we went horseback riding in the morning,

then to Warwick and walked to HSB to relax is that unrealistic?

(How long of a walk is it from HSB to Warwick?

Then we could take #7 back to Dockyard.

Are we better off horseback riding on day 2 since that is our shorter day?

We still need to find some time at SPB to paddleboat/kayak/zipline.

The road distance from riding stable > Warwick Bay is only about 1.5 miles but the route is very convoluted. I would suggest that you take a taxi to get to WB. The path distance from WB > HSB is about .6 mile.

If you went horsing around in the AM, took a taxi to WB and walked to HSB in the PM, it would be doable.

If all you did on day 2 was horse back riding and were able to get a very early start, I don't see a problem with that but I am unsure what your 2 day plans are now; they seem to be a moving target.

SBtS

My Dd and I did the Segway tour in the am (she loved it). Booked through the cruise because at that time the only company was booking only though them. We took the bus, you by the tickets from a booth and it was only a few $ to Horseshoe beach.

My apologies, we are quite scattered with our planning.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Day 2 will be the day for our horse ride with the 5 beach walk you mentioned since its the shorter day, reserving day 1 for HSB followed by some SPB activities and ending with dockyard Monday festivities. Hopefully we will be blessed enough to return again and tour the island with more time. Thank you so much for sharing all your great suggestions :)

Now wishing we booked a longer stay in Bermuda, the more we look into things to see and things to do, the more we want to stay! I guess that's why so many people return year after year, that may very well be us! :D

Please forgive us for our scattered planning style, we are new at this :o

Our group is trying to decide between Horseback Riding with Spicelands, the Wild Cat Boat Tour or a Glass Bottom Boat Tour with Reef Explorer, any pros/cons to help us decide?

(looked at 2 different glass bottom tours but the smaller one had reviews that mentioned they have arrived late or changed plans last minute, are not as organized although their tours were very good, we can't afford any last minute change of time)

We dock on a Monday at 9am, have the entire day/night. Not sure what time we will have to be back on ship? Also trying to decide what the best plan would be on Tuesday,our 2nd day, we probably would have to board by 4:00 if we depart at 5:00?

Our wishlist is to visit;

Horseshoe Bay, walk 5 beach path (curious why it is often suggested to start at HSB and not Warwick?),

Dockyard Naval Museum, Parasail, Zip Line(if there),

Destination Dockyard Festival (on our first night), eat at Frog & Onion

Snorkel Park Beach, Sea Glass Beach (near Dockyard) (what time can you stay on Snorkel Park Beach until?)

and then finally the Horseback, Wild Cat, or Glass Bottom Boat :confused:

http://www.jessiejames.bm excellent snorkeling excursion :)

Archived