Obstructed view veranda cabin example

cruisegirl1

We just took advantage of the Guaranteed Veranda booking on the Equinox. We sail often (although not on Celebrity) so the cabin assignment for a particular cruise is not critical. The Guarantee was a good price so we took advantage.

In the past, if booking a guarantee, we’ve generally been assigned the lowest category in the guarantee ( and that is OK as that is what we’ve paid for). We'll only book a guarantee if the price is right!

I believe Celebrity has some obstructed Veranda cabins and that is what I imagine we will eventually be assigned. Does anyone have any examples of the nature of the obstruction or the view from one of these obstructed balconies?

Thanks, M

Hi, in May, we booked a guarantee for a cruise sailing next week. At the time, I assumed the worst and found some pictures of the obstructed balconies and they were really not too bad. The obstruction is mostly down to the water.

FYI: we were assigned a cabin within a couple of days and ended up in a 1B!

Depending on your cabin location the obstruction can vary. There

are lifeboats on deck 6 that prevent you from looking down to the

the water. There are other cabins on deck 6 that have obstructions

looking down, but not due to lifeboats but rather the roof of the

Specialty Restaurants which are located all the way AFT.

I had 6303 and the balcony was a bit larger than normal but you could

not see down to the water. It really didn't matter to me though and

if the price was right I would book it again:)

The obstructed view are 2C and 2D. Both have a limited view straight down since you're directly above the lifeboats. The difference is that for 2C the tops of the lifeboats are even with the floor of your balcony while for 2D the lifeboat tops can come up to almost the railing. Either way, you have a clear view straight out above the railings (other than the periodic lifeboat davit).

We've sailed in a 2C before and were quite happy with it.

I took these pictures of lifeboats near the hump..

Remember that the angle will distort the actually obstruction.

Image too large.. will post edited pictures soon.

Edited by ~Nereus~

Thanks Nereus - those cabins in the top photo have a huge obstruction! The others are not too bad.

I don't care if I can't see down to the water, but the cabins in the top photo are completely blocked, except to see the sky!

What ship is that?

Thanks for posting.

M

The 2D cabin we had was not good. The tender came up somewhat avove mid balcony and was higher on me that my waist. The other problem was that there were also attached wires and other things that were actually higher. There is no way you can view anything but the sky if you sit - all you see is orange.

We had been assured that all boats would be below the balcony and all we would see was the tops and couldn't see down.. That was by a TA who put it in writing. She, unfortunately, was wrong. As we had never been on that ship we were clueless but did ask several times about the instruction. I would rather have had an unobstructed window.

Wish I could post a couple pictures but don't know how.

Hi

We had one of those top cabins in Nereus's pics. Along with the obstruction, we also had that big white thing that hangs down from the ship parked in front of our balcony the whole time. It is called a window washer and did not move. I think that you might find this same set up on the Eclipse, Equinox and Solstice. This was an Aqua class cabin.

Hi:)....a good way to see if the cabin you are in has an obstruction?

Check the "Cabin thread" at the top of the forum. I realize having a

guaranty won't help since you may not have your cabin number

but the cabin thread has lots of great information on it.

Edited by Lois R

I'll expect a 2D!

Thanks for posting

M

Come back and let us know what you get. Fingers crossed you'll be as lucky as us - we got a 1B on Silhouette after expecting the worst when we booked a verandah guarantee

:eek:

Hi

We had one of those top cabins in Nereus's pics. Along with the obstruction, we also had that big white thing that hangs down from the ship parked in front of our balcony the whole time. It is called a window washer and did not move. I think that you might find this same set up on the Eclipse, Equinox and Solstice. This was an Aqua class cabin.

Hi Sally,

What was your cabin no please ? We got bumped up to Aqua class by our TA when prices dropped . Certainly don't want to be in the same one with the stationary window washer. We were safely right in the middle of the ship before the change !

Actually, the 'window washer', which is an open white metal box that you can see right through, comes with an extra large balcony in AQ. We were in 1552 next door and after the first day you never even notice it--but you do get to enjoy the big balcony!

Actually, the 'window washer', which is an open white metal box that you can see right through, comes with an extra large balcony in AQ. We were in 1552 next door and after the first day you never even notice it--but you do get to enjoy the big balcony!

Being right next door to the window washer is much different than having it right in front of your balcony. I was not able to see through it considering it was a fairly large piece of metal. It did have openings but it still was a distraction since we love sitting on the balcony. You could not take any pictures from your balcony looking out on to the ocean because the WW was always there. It never went away so we continued to notice it daily.

Hi there,

We will be in 6293 on our upcoming Reflection cruise and are asking those that may have been in this area on the sister ships how obsructive the view is, also if there was any smoke from the smoke pit reaching this area. Thanks In advance for your reply.

Come back and let us know what you get. Fingers crossed you'll be as lucky as us - we got a 1B on Silhouette after expecting the worst when we booked a verandah guarantee

Will do. Cruise is not until April 2013 so I imagine it will be awhile before we get the assignment.

Wonder why the cruise lines even have such very obstructed balconies. I am aware of what I can be assigned, and as I stated, we cruise often so the cabin for any particular cruise is not a huge factor. Cruisers who have little knowledge, and take just an occasional cruise could simply book such a cabin and would be very disappointed.

Being right next door to the window washer is much different than having it right in front of your balcony. I was not able to see through it considering it was a fairly large piece of metal. It did have openings but it still was a distraction since we love sitting on the balcony. You could not take any pictures from your balcony looking out on to the ocean because the WW was always there. It never went away so we continued to notice it daily.

We were in 1549 on Solstice, had the thing right in front of us.

However after a while we didn't notice it anymore and it did not bother us. Lots of room to look underneath or to the sides of it. Large balcony was nice.

Edited by Michidoeme

Hi there,

We will be in 6293 on our upcoming Reflection cruise and are asking those that may have been in this area on the sister ships how obsructive the view is, also if there was any smoke from the smoke pit reaching this area. Thanks In advance for your reply.

The view should be very similar to the 2C photos of 6277 posted below. I don't believe smoke would be an issue for you at all, since we were closer to the smoking area than you will be, and we didn't smell any at all.

Here are photos of a 2D on Solstice(6210, with oversized balcony), and a 2C on Equinox (6277). The 2C was booked as a guarantee, and the 2D was booked specifically for the large balcony (price was the same as a guarantee). It's my understanding that some of the 2D's may be more obstructed than this one. We have yet another guarantee booked on Silhouette, but it hasn't been assigned.

Cabin 6210, 2D, Solstice:

DSC01767.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

Cabin 6277, 2C, Equinox:

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

We were in 1549 on Solstice, had the thing right in front of us.

However after a while we didn't notice it anymore and it did not bother us. Lots of room to look underneath or to the sides of it. Large balcony was nice.

Thanks for reminding me of the room number. This was on the Solstice. I do believe there is a WW on both starboard & port side. We were on the starboard. I am a very easy going traveler and I just love being there. But for some reason that WW and the over hang bothered me. It was a great cruise and it was the second time on the Solstice. We are off to Alaska in three weeks on the Millie so as you can tell we still love Celebrity. We do not have the WW to deal with on the aft.

:eek:

Hi Sally,

What was your cabin no please ? We got bumped up to Aqua class by our TA when prices dropped . Certainly don't want to be in the same one with the stationary window washer. We were safely right in the middle of the ship before the change !

Don't remember the exact number but it is around 1549. There are two - one starboard and port side. From the posts, it does not bother some people. I guess it is a personal opinion. If you give me your e-mail I can send you a pic of the WW and then you can decide for yourself. I do not know how to post pics on CC.

The view should be very similar to the 2C photos of 6277 posted below. I don't believe smoke would be an issue for you at all, since we were closer to the smoking area than you will be, and we didn't smell any at all.

Here are photos of a 2D on Solstice(6210, with oversized balcony), and a 2C on Equinox (6277). The 2C was booked as a guarantee, and the 2D was booked specifically for the large balcony (price was the same as a guarantee). It's my understanding that some of the 2D's may be more obstructed than this one. We have yet another guarantee booked on Silhouette, but it hasn't been assigned.

Cabin 6210, 2D, Solstice:

DSC01767.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

Cabin 6277, 2C, Equinox:

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Thanks so much for the quick reply and the great pictures.