Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Good morning! Just bumping the thread up! Also found that I will have to get some sewing done as I tried on some of my dressy clothes on and "Eekk" ! I am going to try to use what I have in my stash (hubby is grinning, but also laughing 'cause he sees a trip to Fabricland - just for notions I may need, really!)

My mother visits in 2 weeks, may be asking her for assistance with some of this. Cruise leaves in 6 weeks out of Bayone. Will let you know how it goes. ;)

Have a great day everyone, Sue

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good morning! Just bumping the thread up! Also found that I will have to get some sewing done as I tried on some of my dressy clothes on and "Eekk" ! I am going to try to use what I have in my stash (hubby is grinning, but also laughing 'cause he sees a trip to Fabricland - just for notions I may need, really!)

My mother visits in 2 weeks, may be asking her for assistance with some of this. Cruise leaves in 6 weeks out of Bayone. Will let you know how it goes. ;)

Have a great day everyone, Sue

Hi Sue,

Glad to hear that you will be sewing. I want to get started again too. Where is Fabricland store? Is it a chain. I only have Joann's near me.

In Canada it is a chain. In Quebec t is known as Fabricville. I have a store about 20 mins away in Hamilton, ON. If I want to be really ambitions, I could go to Ottawa St in Hamilton and have many fabric stores to choose from. I did win a gift card from Fabricland in their anniversary promotion. They are enabling my habit !

So happy to know others still see clothing! I just got my 3 machines back up and running after a several years hiatus and am anxious to get back to sewing.

The challenge I'm having is finding nice garment fabric. Plenty of quilter fabrics but not what I'm looking for.

We leave 2 weeks from today n our next cruise and I have a pattern for a harem jumpsuit I really want to take with me but so far no fabric. I love jumpsuits and rompers but I'm long waisted so it's hard to find the right fit. Also have very "strong" upper arms so anything with woven sleeves is a challenge to buy.

Now to find a fabric source!

I don't sew but my Best Friend since I was 6 sews for me. She should be a fashion designer. But, she doesn't enjoy sewing for people that she doesn't know personally. She is making me a beautiful dress from her "Little Black Dress" book and it's on that Audrey Hepburn wore with the little bows on the shoulder straps. Mine is a Nautical Blue color. I didn't want traditional black. I get my first fitting tomorrow. I'm NO where near Audrey's figure and my best friend knows how to make designs that flatter me. So, we chose this design to work with. I'm cruising in a few weeks on Oceania's Riviera, my first Cruise. So excited. I'm also bringing two other summer dresses, she designed for me. One I wore on my 39th birthday in Paris (3 years ago) and the other I wore for our 40th Birthday's to Disneyland. So. much fun. I appreciate what it take so to sew and the time and effort. My talents are in baking but I'm so lucky to have a best friend who loves to sew for me.

Redlady,

I did I will have to Google the store. We just have Joann's Fabric here. So, the fabric is limited for clothing sewing. But like all sewers, I have a stash that I have collected over the years.

TXnewlyweds ,

Glad to hear that you got your machine up and running. Mine are all running and in good shape. I seen to be collecting them. I buy a new machine and don't trade in the old one. I need them "just in case".

Sandasvi,

You are very lucky to have such a great friend who loves to sew for you. I am sure your friend love your baking too.

For me it is hard to find time to sew. I share the sewing room with my DH, his desk and our computer. The room is small. Therefore, I can't leave anything out when I am done. I find this keeps me from sewing for times when I don't have a lot of time to spare. It takes time to get sewing. My machine are out, but notions and such are not. So, I don't even try to sew for 15 or 30 minutes. Nor worth the clean up time.

Hmm , finding time to sew is the challenge. I must be procrastinating as I am cleaning!

These are the patterns I have in my stash that I am thinking of b8e79f4fac103408afe96de578548179.jpg

f5c1cfbf674e9de47e65c134b7f43dd8.jpg this is from the Craftsy class I have signed up for.

And lastly this one from the Burda Magazine 656ad4cba44996de1baeebd255bcf60a.jpg

Dose anyone have experience or tips for figuring which line to trace with the Burda patterns?

Will post pictures later of what fabrics I have in my "resource centre " for sewing

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmm , finding time to sew is the challenge. I must be procrastinating as I am cleaning!

These are the patterns I have in my stash that I am thinking of b8e79f4fac103408afe96de578548179.jpg

f5c1cfbf674e9de47e65c134b7f43dd8.jpg this is from the Craftsy class I have signed up for.

And lastly this one from the Burda Magazine 656ad4cba44996de1baeebd255bcf60a.jpg

Dose anyone have experience or tips for figuring which line to trace with the Burda patterns?

Will post pictures later of what fabrics I have in my "resource centre " for sewing

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I like the patterns. Do you mean deciding which size to use or making sure you are tracing the correct line? If it's making sure you are tracing the correct line, I used to go over it with a bright color highlighter to be sure I had the right one when it came to the material.

Saw lots of very pretty dressy clothes material today, but absolutely nothing for a casual flowy jumpsuit... Well I take that back.. there was one very pretty piece, but it was $13 a yard and I need 5 yards. So that's just way too much when I factor in my time. At least right now... Does anyone ever order fabric online?

I like the patterns. Do you mean deciding which size to use or making sure you are tracing the correct line? If it's making sure you are tracing the correct line, I used to go over it with a bright color highlighter to be sure I had the right one when it came to the material.

Yes, when I opened up the 'sheet' of patterns, I sort of went 'Akk!' Was thinking a highlighter will be my best friend for Burda patterns.

Re Burda - definitely use a darker colour to go over which line to use. But not too dark or you may eliminate the ability to use the other patterns included. Then create a pattern (tissue paper) from the page with all the pieces and sizes that you can keep in an envelope for using again. Be sure to check whether seam allowances are included, or not and add in if needed. I loved burda patterns and used them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Saw lots of very pretty dressy clothes material today, but absolutely nothing for a casual flowy jumpsuit... Well I take that back.. there was one very pretty piece, but it was $13 a yard and I need 5 yards. So that's just way too much when I factor in my time. At least right now... Does anyone ever order fabric online?

I have had good luck ordering fabric online. Since JoAnn's has driven all the competition out of business and has a disappointing selection of fashion fabric, it has become a necessity. One does need to have a good familiarity with fabric descriptions. It has been a couple of years since I have done this, so I can't recommend a particular site.

I have had good luck ordering fabric online. Since JoAnn's has driven all the competition out of business and has a disappointing selection of fashion fabric, it has become a necessity. One does need to have a good familiarity with fabric descriptions. It has been a couple of years since I have done this, so I can't recommend a particular site.

You are so right about being familiar with fabric descriptions. When shopping for ready to wear, I see many types of fabric, but can't seen to find them in Joann's. So, on line may be the way to go.

I buy a bunch of my fabric online.

LA Finch Fabrics is awesome! They are my favorite for knits. Check out their End of Bolt section for some tremendous savings. www.lafinchfabrics.com

CaliFabrics...I have bought some knits from there and was happy with the experience. www.califabrics.com

So Sew English Fabrics...if you are in a hurry, don't order from them. The home page will tell you the current lead times (10-14 days until it ships currently). The quality is very good and I have been happy with my orders, but OMG are they SLOW. www.sosewenglishfabrics.com

Zenith and Quasar - I have bought swimwear and athletic fabrics from them. Fun and quirky prints. They ship quickly. www.zenithandquasar.com

Spoonflower - They print the fabric to order. All sorts of designs and you pick the type of fabric you want it printed on. I ordered Day of the Dead Skull Pattern on Sport Lycra. The sport lycra did not fade, but I have seen reviews of other types of fabric fading. YMMV. www.spoonflower.com

As others have said, know your fabrics before ordering online. And if you don't know what a fabric is, well, Google is your friend. :)

Lisa

Cruise was ok and I loved wearing my creations. I bought this fabric recently at JoAnn's. It is embroidered on knit. I plan on making an a-line knee length skirt with it. And a matching head band. Fabric is cream and embroidery is black.ffc7559910b3612c20b2fd95531d549a.jpg

Cruise was ok and I loved wearing my creations. I bought this fabric recently at JoAnn's. It is embroidered on knit. I plan on making an a-line knee length skirt with it. And a matching head band. Fabric is cream and embroidery is black.ffc7559910b3612c20b2fd95531d549a.jpg

That is really pretty fabric. It will make a pretty skirt. The Joann's by me they are making it smaller by about 1/3. It is in a strip mall and the place next to it will enlarge. Will see what happens to the fabric selection.

Did a little online fabric shopping this morning at LA Finch Fabrics. Scored 2 end of bolts and the martini girl fabric. Thinking maxi's with the Liverpool and the martini girls will be rowing shorts and a sporty skort.

eccf1bfde81915c3652ca79756bf945f.jpg

5ea1fc7be15f54284049f3535a2e9fc7.jpg

855360de48f7eb10628009a44e7a3606.jpg

Lisa

I made the skirt on Sunday.

f470b7f4103a3ec8b08ee0d10bc211a1.jpg

On a business trip in Charlotte, so I hit Mary Jo's fabric last night. It is less than a mile from the hotel...yes, I picked this hotel due to its proximity to the fabric store. [emoji106] I bought these to make rowing clothes.

ce65389368aabb3b23e8ce52846f11a4.jpg

Lisa

I made the skirt on Sunday.

f470b7f4103a3ec8b08ee0d10bc211a1.jpg

On a business trip in Charlotte, so I hit Mary Jo's fabric last night. It is less than a mile from the hotel...yes, I picked this hotel due to its proximity to the fabric store. [emoji106] I bought these to make rowing clothes.

ce65389368aabb3b23e8ce52846f11a4.jpg

Lisa

Your skirt came out beautiful. Love the new fabric. You are a fast sewer!

RedHeadTexan-- Very cute skir! And love the other fabrics. I ran into JoAnn's to get some thread for my serger. Hemmed a dress I purchased for cruise leaving Sunday. Normally I hate any sort of repairs/alterations, but felt so good to do even that little bit of sewing. Maybe this summer's project will be to get set up for sewing again...