Need suggestions on travelling from Maine to Vancouver and home from Whittier/Denali

mommybearx2

Our plan is to travel from Maine to Vancouver and than take NCL to Whittier beginning of July 2013. Four of the 16 of us will than travel to Denali before heading back to Maine. Princess/HAL/NCL were considered but pricing is leading us towards NCL.

Wondering what people have for suggestions on best way to get us where we need to be the least expensive way as far as airfare. I have read about Alaska Airlines Credit card and option for companion fare, but can not tell if this can only be used for true round trip airfare. The uncertainty of airfare prices is stressing some of the 16 who are hoping to go. Thanks for your time.

From the Alaska Airlines web site. (Use the "Ask Jenn" feature. )

<<Discount Codes, including Companion Tickets, can be used toward round-trip, one-way and multi-city travel. You can either enter the code on the same page you select your travel cities and dates, or select a code from the Discount Codes section of your My Account profile. >>

I agree regarding asking your TA about group rates. However, if you choose to book yourselves I suggest booking in August or September of this year. (Buy trip insurance for sure)

We are flying out of Boston to Vancouver via Air Canada. We bought those tickets in August of 2011 for our cruise (in 2 days:D!!!)

At the time, they had the lowest rates. Our trip back from Anchorage is via Delta and we snagged a great rate ($202) in September. If you are in southern Maine, I would consider flying out of Boston.

Also, if you plan to rent a car to go to Denali, Enterprise always has a sale in August. I got a ridiculously low rate when I booked an SUV last August.

Have fun planning!

Thank you for advice. I am booking cruise all together, but as far as flight, I am giving everyone a copy of my research and what we are going to do, but letting everyone than book independently. Just too many schedules to figure out.

Our plan is to travel from Maine to Vancouver and than take NCL to Whittier beginning of July 2013. Four of the 16 of us will than travel to Denali before heading back to Maine. Princess/HAL/NCL were considered but pricing is leading us towards NCL.

Wondering what people have for suggestions on best way to get us where we need to be the least expensive way as far as airfare. I have read about Alaska Airlines Credit card and option for companion fare, but can not tell if this can only be used for true round trip airfare. The uncertainty of airfare prices is stressing some of the 16 who are hoping to go. Thanks for your time.

Yes, you can use the companion cert on a one-way, a round trip or an open jaw. However, all travel must be on Alaska's aircraft (or Horizon, their regional carrier)

To use the Alaska companion ticket, you'd have to fly out of Boston, which is the closest Alaska Airlines flies to Maine.

You could fly Boston - Seattle - Vancouver, then Anchorage - Seattle - Boston all on Alaska "metal."

Note that the $99 companion certificate is also good for first class, which makes these long trips much more comfortable.

Alaska Airlines....major sale event in October of each year as AK residents get their state govt check for their share of oil revenue.

Every man, woman and child receives in the neighborhood of $1800. at that time....Alaska Airlines wants it. You can take advantage of the pricing if it fits your situation.

Otherwise use http://matrix.itasoftware.com to monitor changing airfares.

Thanks for suggestions about airfare. I didn't think I could book a flight further than 6 months out, but sounds like I am wrong on that one. We have flown from Boston several times since it is cheaper to even stay at a hotel the night before and leave from Boston rather than fly from Portland or Bangor. I would love to surprise everyone and figure out how to make the flight more affordable. I have been estimating between $800 and $1100 to be safe.

Thanks for suggestions about airfare. I didn't think I could book a flight further than 6 months out, but sounds like I am wrong on that one. We have flown from Boston several times since it is cheaper to even stay at a hotel the night before and leave from Boston rather than fly from Portland or Bangor. I would love to surprise everyone and figure out how to make the flight more affordable. I have been estimating between $800 and $1100 to be safe.

Just another suggestion which may be a way to keep fares down for all the people. I would still go with the Alaska Airlines companion ticket but some in your party may not want another credit card. So I offer this suggestion.

Since you can't see fares for next July yet, this is only based on the latest May 2013 fares (NOT counting Memorial Day where prices jump sky high for that weekend). BUT prices should be pretty consistent with relatively early booking.

You could fly BOS/SEA, spend the night, and take the train to Vancouver. Purchase a RT BOS/SEA fare on whoever is cheapest. Book the train (really, really a great way to get to Vancouver with fantastic scenery). http://www.amtrakcascades.com/ Train leaves before 8AM, so you really have to spend the night. But arrives Vancouver at about noon, perfect for your cruise. Then book a totally separate ticket from ANC to SEA for your return trip to fly home. Use the 2nd half of your BOS/SEA RT. You will have to look at schedules to co-ordinate this but it is doable.

Using latest May 2013 prices, $328 RT BOS/SEA on Alaska. $272 one way from ANC to SEA. Approx $40.00 for the train. $125 (two people) for a really decent hotel room in Seattle booked on Hotwire or Priceline BIDDING. You are right at about $700 per ticket and had the extra adventure of a day in Seattle and the train ride.

Don't know what the prices will be RT BOS/SEA but those tickets should be available in the next 6-8 weeks. Just another suggestion since you have so many people.

And thinfool posted VERY good information about the PDF sale which happens yearly. Alaska Airlines starts a sale in late September/early October when the PDF checks arrive (a check every Alaskan receives yearly from the oil money). Alaska wants people to spent the money on travel. So they offer sale fares. MOST are to warm weather locations, but I have seen quite a few to NYC, Boston, Chicago and other major tourist cities. OTHER airline match prices generally. I buy a bunch of airline tickets for my employees yearly who spend the summer overseeing my fish shipping business. I have generally found the PDF sale prices are as low as they are going to go.

There are MANY, MANY ways to get "cheaper" airlines tickets (NONE are cheap anymore). Keep asking questions and we will try to help. Good luck!!!

I spoke too soon. Alaska Airlines is in the process of mailing out notices to Alaska Airlines Visa (MC in Canada) holders telling them (us) that the companion certificates are going to $110 and any certs issued after 1 Aug. 2012 will no longer be honored for first class tickets.

This will prompt me to ditch this Visa card and its annual fee, as it was the only thing keeping me tied to the Alaska mileage plan and the Bank of America despite years of loyal patronage. :mad:

I spoke too soon. Alaska Airlines is in the process of mailing out notices to Alaska Airlines Visa (MC in Canada) holders telling them (us) that the companion certificates are going to $110 and any certs issued after 1 Aug. 2012 will no longer be honored for first class tickets.

This will prompt me to ditch this Visa card and its annual fee, as it was the only thing keeping me tied to the Alaska mileage plan and the Bank of America despite years of loyal patronage. :mad:

But still a valid option for a one off trip. $75.00 annual fee + $110 is still a pretty cheap ticket from the lower 48 to Alaska.

NOT a good deal for those of us who fly a lot. But for the OP, certainly a valid option (as long as they cancel the credit card after the year unless they can use the the companion fare in the future)

I am keeping mine because $75.00 is cheap in the scheme of things.

Have you found that there are no restrictions on the companion ticket as in can fly any day or time??? And thanks again for everyones assistance.

AS' companion cert is good on any coach fare. There are no restrictions.

Expanding on Greatam's post, another "out of the box suggestion" is JetBlue. They fly BOS-SEA nonstop or connecting through Long Beach (LGB). For the return, ANC-LGB-BOS. I find that JetBlue fares are usually not that great, and their mileage program is "captive" and not very generous unless you fly them often. OTOH they do not charge for the first checked bag.

BTW, I fly up to Vancouver fairly often on Alaska, connecting through SEA. The fare difference to YVR compared to SEA is usually pretty small ($50 or less) and doesn't offset the cost and time of ground transportation if I fly into SEA.

These may turn out to not be viable ideas, but worth looking at.

Other options to consider.

One of the things that makes flying between Canada and the US expensive are US and Canadian Tax/Fees (Agriculture Inspection, Immigration etc.). If you take the train or drive across the boarder your exempt.

If you were already looking at driving to another city to catch your flight you may want to look at the cost of flying out of Montreal, Quebec City, Moncton or Fredericton etc. Both Air Canada and WestJet are the dominant domestic airlines in Canada. There are frequent seat sales. Air Canada has "Tango" fairs that you have to book on their site, the tradeoff is dramatically reduced miles but slightly cheaper cost. Air Canada in past years has also operated Vancouver to Anchorage flights. There is Amtrack service from New York City to Montreal (not certain how close the stops are to the border with Maine). Montreal is a nice city to spend a day or two.

If you chose to fly out of a us airport, in addition to the US carriers you should still try to price the trip on both the Air Canada and WestJet web sites for the Canadian part of the flight. Air Canada partners (codeshares) on United and WestJet is a partner with both Delta and American.

There is also Amtrak service from Seattle to Vancouver if you fly in/out of Seattle.

Please tell us where in Maine...it's a big place. If it's close to NH you could get yourselves to Manchester (or Boston) and fly many choices to Vancouver or Seattle.

Steve

Good question about where we are in Maine. So we are up to 5 families going so far with 2 more thinking about it. We all live in more central Maine. We (as in my family) are willing to fly out of Portland, Bangor, Manchester or Boston. 2 of the other families will probably not even consider leaving directly from Boston or Manchester and will end up paying more money to fly from Bangor or Portland. It is HUGE that they are even going and are stepping out of their "comfort zone".

Archived