Carnival called to offer an upgrade - at a price!

Palmist

We booked the lowest catagory inside cabin and received a $200 onboard credit (a promotion Carnival was offering at the time we booked). Today, we got a call from Carnival offering us an cabin upgrade, however, we would have to give up the $200 credit in order to get this upgrade.

The cost to book any of the cabins they offered to move us up to is less than the $200 it would cost us if we accepted their offer. Why would they call to offer us such a lousey deal? Not a good first experience with carnival.

We booked the lowest catagory inside cabin and received a $200 onboard credit (a promotion Carnival was offering at the time we booked). Today, we got a call from Carnival offering us an cabin upgrade, however, we would have to give up the $200 credit in order to get this upgrade.

The cost to book any of the cabins they offered to move us up to is less than the $200 it would cost us if we accepted their offer. Why would they call to offer us such a lousey deal? Not a good first experience with carnival.

I agree, if they were offering an upgrade from an inside to a nice balcony or suite that would be different. Is it just a one category upgrade?

Either they somehow didnt realize you had the obc when they called or somebody in the upsell dept is looking for commission.

They knew we had the OBC as were told we would to give it up in exchange for the "upgrade".

Was the amount of the OBC supposed to cover the cost of the upsell? If that's the case then it's really no different than paying out of pocket for the upsell.

BTW, I believe true upgrades are rare on Carnival. Heck, you were lucky to get the upsell call:D

Not sure why you say it wasn't a very good first experience. First off most people don't even get an offer, second... you didn't have to take it, they just asked. You never know but someone out there might have liked the deal and taken them up on it. It isn't up to them to decide if you would want the offer.... just to offer it as they did.

Not sure why you say it wasn't a very good first experience. First off most people don't even get an offer, second... you didn't have to take it, they just asked. You never know but someone out there might have liked the deal and taken them up on it. It isn't up to them to decide if you would want the offer.... just to offer it as they did.

My beef is that the Carnival rep used the term "free upgrade" when she was really trying to sell us something for twice what it would have cost when I made the booking.

What type of cabin were they offering? Same type i.e. interior or were they offering something different?

They were offering an inside on a higher deck. One was on Lido the other was the Main deck, both were still inside.

Why would they call to offer us such a lousey deal? Not a good first experience with carnival.

You got called for a upsell, .. just say no thanks. I cant imagine why someone would be so offended?

I have yet to be called with a upsell .. bring it on. If I dont like it, I would just say no thanks and hope the next offer was better .. but I cant imagine being upset with Carnival for making the offer?? makes no sense to me.

Lots of us hope to hear from the upsell fairy.

I don't think he's upset they called. The content is what he's upset about. It smacks of someone trying to rip him off. Offering what he could have had all by his self at a higher price.

Many of the upsells are at prices the pax could have booked themselves early on .. its just how it is.. if you know what you paid and what prices run, you can figure out if you are interested or not.

It is true, a lot of the upsells are not good offers... so people say no, and cross their fingers the next one will be good.

Archived