Aft facing balcony v mini suite

crosj

I have sailed in aft facing cabins on NCL, Princess, RCCL, & Celebrity never once did I have a bad view but each to it's own.

I agree. It was such a luxury on our Greek Isles cruise not to have to worry about which side of the ship the next island would be on. At the time, we felt we were splurging for a special cruise, but we will never book anything else again. P1010493.JPG

I agree. It was such a luxury on our Greek Isles cruise not to have to worry about which side of the ship the next island would be on. At the time, we felt we were splurging for a special cruise, but we will never book anything else again. P1010493.JPG

Unfortunately when we did our Greek cruise I was ignorant regarding aft facing cabins. Know better now.

Sorry you disagree with my opinion, however, this aft issue has been debated on this forum numerous times and most folks agree with my assessment. I have been in cabin #10230 on the Dawn and the Gem and I am booked in #10230 on the Star. I am at a lost with the fact that you felt you had very limited view. We saw everything from dolphins, shooting stars, lightning in the distance, other ships and flying fish when we were at this location of the ship. Not to mention the beautiful scenary from the port. That being said, I guess that is why passengers can be on the same cruise and some love it and others hate it. I guess we just need to agree to disagree as that is what makes things interesting. :D

Yep, have to agree to disagree. Sailing, the only view you are going to get is the ocean, so that's not a biggie. We did see dolphins, but so many clouds you couldn't see the stars no matter where you were. But the Star always seemed to pull into the ports bow first, leaving the stern facing totally backwards with no view of the towns at all. You would hardly know you were in port.

We actually did the Panama Canal in an aft on the Star in 2010 and it was amazing as we had the QM2 behind us through the passage. My favorite reason for aft cabins is the 180 degrees that you can see and no wind.

And no wind in 100 degrees with 100 % humidity and bugs = mini suite for me

Our aft facing cabin on the Pearl on the Panama Canal cruise was fantastic. You can sit out on the balcony for the several hrs it takes to go through the canal and don't have to fight others to get a good view. Very peaceful and the 180 degree view really makes you feel as if you are in the locks. No question for me. Would pay the extra money as the whole experience is better.

Most balconys have the same view, 180 degrees. Some have more, if the balcony is wrapped around the corner, and some have less, like some balconys on the Epic where the curved side limits the view a little.

On the side you can look forward, back and left or right depending on which side you are on.

Aft you can look left, right and back but not forward.

I really prefer to be able to see one side very good and be able to follow things I see but many prefer to see little of both sides. If you could turn around the seat in your car and look back instead of forward, should you do that? (Not if you are driving!)

For a cruise through the Panama Canal I should consider a suite in the front.

I would take the mini suite. Don't understand the big deal with the aft balcony?? I've had one on the star but it was a penthouse suite aft. I don't think it's worth $800 for whatever reason people live them.

Thanks for all your input. I did the PC years ago and I did have an aft room-FANTASTIC. Your opinions were valuable and gave me much to think about. After I switched to a mini suite I was having remorse-so back to the aft room. Mini suite has bigger bathrooms, more mid ship. But ultimately that huge balcony on 10 won out.

Until next time!!!

Thanks for all your input. I did the PC years ago and I did have an aft room-FANTASTIC. Your opinions were valuable and gave me much to think about. After I switched to a mini suite I was having remorse-so back to the aft room. Mini suite has bigger bathrooms, more mid ship. But ultimately that huge balcony on 10 won out.

Until next time!!!

IMO, for what it's worth you made an EXCELLENT choice! Have a great cruise! Here's to blue skies and calm seas...............

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm being illegal by not posting a new thread, but I'm curious about the same question on aft balcony vs mini-suite but on Norwegians 9-night Baltic / Scandinavia Cruise on the Star in late May. I got lots of input from this thread to consider, and am posting my question here so as to not have the same responses people have already given, and have never been in a mini-suite or aft facing balcony, but have cruised 16 times.

It seems on a normal balcony cabin, it can be hit and miss when arriving or leaving a port as to your side of the ship, and corresponding view. I believe this cruise, starboard would be the side to be on if booking a mini-suite, but really have no feel at all what cruising in that part of the world will be like, from the what you might see aboard ship there vs the open waters in the Caribbean. I do always find the stern of the ship quite peaceful when on deck.

Any other helpful hints on this itinerary would be appreciated as well. I've always been under the impression that a mini suite hasn't been worth the added cost for what I see as the benefits of one, but this cruise's pricing isn't that much difference in a balcony vs mini. The aft facing balcony is the most expensive, but I'm not looking at that as a high priority consideration.

Archived