Corner Brook & Sydney

Hi Molly - We will be in Corner Brook 8-5 in October and have a rental car reserved. Trying to decide between driving to Gros Morne National Park or Captain Cook Trail & Lark Harbor. Which would you recommend? Our cruise ship does not offer any tours to Gros Morne so that may be less crowded that day. Any help you can give on planning our day will be greatly appreciated. Joan

Hi Sorry, I didn't see this at the end of the page. Can you hear me shout "GROS MORNE"? Lark Hr is pretty but little on the planet beats Lomond, Woody Point and Trout River on the south side of the park. The Newfoundland tourism website has good pictures and information on the area. The drive is easy and beautiful all the way. Late Sept and Oct the leaves will have turned and the drive north out of Corner Brook will be very pretty.

Hope that helps some. Hope i am not too late.

Molly

Hi Molly -Not to late at all as our cruise is not until October. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for Gros Morne. Also looked like some nice small villages going up that way - any recommendations? Joan

The park is huge, over 75 miles from south to north so you will see villages inside the park more so than on the route. When you leave Corner Brook you will be on the highway. You will turn left about 30 minutes up the road in Deer Lake and continue for another 45 minutes to Wiltondale. Turn left again and as you head through the park you will see some villages. Lomond is one, but Woody Point and Trout River are quintessential Newfoundland "outports" which is what we call our villages here.

Richard Ford (Independence Day) is at the Writers at Woody Point festival this weekend. You might have heard of him?

The website below gives a map and lots of other info. Wish I was there this weekend!

Margaret

http://www.newfoundlandlabradordotcom/PlacesToGo/GrosMorne

Maam since my kins time 4th Duke of Loudon ( Campbell )

In the 20th/21st Century now Canadian Govt. has done a wonderful job on the Fort.

But after a certain date same as in Yankee Stadium , baseball is not played with a full staffing.

Sydney, NS and NJ have a long alliance.

We have rented vehicles when cruising then do the drive-abouts . The Loop Drive of Cabot Trail is simply amazing.

Badeck at Bells is something to spend a few times at.

Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site, is a 10-hectare (25-acre) property.

Baddeck, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada, overlooking the Bras d'Or Lakes and Alexander Graham Bell's Beinn Bhreagh estate, which the Estate is PRIVATE.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx

What was mentioned on here is wonderful Iona is one of the nicest places in the Canada Provinces / US States.

I will be in Sydney on Thurs Oct 18 7 A.M.- 3 P.M. would you still recommend going to Fortress Louisbourg? Can we get a taxi or car service to take us there & back to the ship? What would you think the cost might be? If we do not go to the Fortress can we get a cab or car service to take us to Baddeck & Iona? Do you have any recommendations for cab or car service? Thanks
Edited by AAAAmerican

Look at http://www.molegatours.ca/cornerbrook-nfld.php

However, it says they will only take large groups for that price, but I couldn't find what the minimum number would be. After you find out from them what that number is, maybe you could get together a group who would like to do this. When we were in Corner Brook a few years ago, I had a hard time finding a private vendor and the couple I did find were as much in price as the ship excursion.

Leslie

I've reserved a car with Budget in Sydney for Sunday September 16.

According to the itinerary, NCL Gem will be in port from 7am to 3pm. I believe that passengers have to be back on board 2 hours before departure, i.e. 1pm.

Our intention is to visit the Fortress of Louisbourg, which opens at 9.30am.

I'm wondering if we have enough time to do the Fortress justice?

Edited by russ331

I've reserved a car with Budget in Sydney for Sunday September 16.

According to the itinerary, NCL Gem will be in port from 7am to 3pm. I believe that passengers have to be back on board 2 hours before departure, i.e. 1pm.

Our intention is to visit the Fortress of Louisbourg, which opens at 9.30am.

I'm wondering if we have enough time to do the Fortress justice?

The requirement for being on board 2 hours prior only applies when you board in NYC on the first day. At ports it's usually 30 minutes prior to sailing. You should have enough time.

Looks like we're on the same sailing.

The park is huge, over 75 miles from south to north so you will see villages inside the park more so than on the route. When you leave Corner Brook you will be on the highway. You will turn left about 30 minutes up the road in Deer Lake and continue for another 45 minutes to Wiltondale. Turn left again and as you head through the park you will see some villages. Lomond is one, but Woody Point and Trout River are quintessential Newfoundland "outports" which is what we call our villages here.

Richard Ford (Independence Day) is at the Writers at Woody Point festival this weekend. You might have heard of him?

The website below gives a map and lots of other info. Wish I was there this weekend!

Margaret

http://www.newfoundlandlabradordotcom/PlacesToGo/GrosMorne

Thanks, Margaret. We have been a little distracted down here on the FL panhandle with Hurricane Isaac but mostly past us now. I will look up the info on the website you provided. Looking forward to exploring the beautiful area.

Joan

Hello, Molly, we will be on the Norwegian Gem and in Cornerbrook Oct. 17th. we have rented a car. Will we be able to see any of Gros Morne but the Visitors Center? It looks as if things are closed down there after mid Oct. Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks, Sunnymom

• 1 year later...

I've been doing a lot of research on both TA and CC and I see lots of folks who were asking questions about private tours in both these Ports. (I'm particularly interested in Corner Brook because the town is so small and everyone says that the Park is a must see. Some folks were looking at private tours; others into renting cars. But - unless I missed the posts - I can't find any reports from folks who actually rented car or used a private tour company who could share their experience.

I'm hoping someone is still subscribed to this thread. We are on Celebrity Summit in September

Thanks for yiour help!

Steve

Hi Molly - We will be in Corner Brook 8-5 in October and have a rental car reserved. Trying to decide between driving to Gros Morne National Park or Captain Cook Trail & Lark Harbor. Which would you recommend? Our cruise ship does not offer any tours to Gros Morne so that may be less crowded that day. Any help you can give on planning our day will be greatly appreciated. Joan

Since I"m from Corner Brook and have always lived somewhere on the West Coast of NL I have to chime in. If I only had one day in CB and was willing to drive I would do Gros Morne. It is not to be missed IMO :)

• 3 months later...

I am from Corner Brook. Gros Morne is beautiful. I would recommend a drive to Rocky Harbour and Norris Point. The drive there will be stunning with all the fall colors. The trees are beautiful this year.

I would not pay for the walking tour that the ship offers, it is really easy to navigate the Corner Brook Stream trail. It will take you around the cities public park and part of the shopping district.

The boat tour that is mentioned here Crystal Water Boat tours is beautiful as well. I have taken part in this tour with co workers. We had a great time.

Bottle Cove in Lark Harbour which is an hours drive from Corner Brook. Beautiful drive awesome views.

Hope this helps. If there are any questions I would be happy to answer if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am from Corner Brook. Gros Morne is beautiful. I would recommend a drive to Rocky Harbour and Norris Point. The drive there will be stunning with all the fall colors. The trees are beautiful this year.

I would not pay for the walking tour that the ship offers, it is really easy to navigate the Corner Brook Stream trail. It will take you around the cities public park and part of the shopping district.

Hope this helps. If there are any questions I would be happy to answer if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Nancy: thanks for commentsd. We have been home 3 weeks now and did get ro Gros Morne with Dave Chafe of Gros Morne Scenic Adventures. It was a 7 hour tour and we got to Norris :Point and also fott of tablelands. There were really no colors (other than great green) because the trees are mostly Pine. I also had a an hour afterward to walk part of the Stream Trail. The park (GM) is so large yiu can only do so much. One other couple rented a car and drove but I'm sure they missed a lot.

BTW, Celebrity will run same cruise next year but won't go back to NL. They are substituting BOSTON instead.

I make a fairly lengthy video of my day in CB and GM and yiu might find it interesting. It's posted here:

Steve

I also was in the same vehicle as Steve was when we visited

Corner Brook N.S. and totally enjoyed the day. Dave, our host and driver

went out of his way to make our visit to Corner Brook enjoyable.

Totally professional, and aware of his surroundings as he gives his

presentation of Corner Brook and what is has to offer.

Vince