Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Med Review: Serenade, Pics, Surprises & Fun!

Sherri,

I spent a good part of my day reading your trip report. It was absolutely delightful! I laughed out loud at some of your predicaments and anguished with you when your sons were "lost".

You are a gifted writer.

I got some nice tips from you on some of the ports we will visit on our Greece and Turkey cruise in October. You stirred up memories of my own trips to Cannes, Rome, Florence and the Amalfi Coast. Thanks for taking me back again.

Thank you again for your information and entertainment.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments on our "singing"...! It WAS a lot of fun, and as I said, I was tickled to see the Klingons participate, as sometimes, that isn't "cool". :)

I'm flying home today and should be back to finish this off on Monday...I hope! Then - the Freedom review...!

Hi Sherri!! Having been a late-comer to our roll call in May before the cruise I didn't get much chance to chat on CC roll call with you before the cruise... however, I am totally enjoying your review and reliving the most AMAZING vacation Jeff and I have ever had to date!! You are just so funny and have such a fun family!

I remember eating lunch in the MDR with CC friends and sat with brainy Brad and thought what a smart and pleasant young man he is!! You have raised some very nice Klingons!

Jeff and I have already booked the Adriatic cruise next June on Celebrity Silouhette and would LOVE to have you join us!!:) What better way to get over one cruise--right??

Thanks again for a great review of our wonderful trip and for alot of belly laughs along the way!!

Cheryl

Hi, Cheryl! Aw, I'm glad you got to meet Brainy Brad - he's a character, for sure! And thank you - the boys are pretty good, when they're not running off and getting themselves lost in Europe. Although, they were never lost, in their opinion - it was I who lost THEM. Ahem.

I may have to check into that cruise; I've got the cruising fever now, for sure!

Sheri, I have been reading this wonderful review from the beginning, and loving every word of it. We did part of this trip a couple of years ago and will be on the Celebrity Equinox in October '13. I have taken extensive notes and thank you for all that you have gifted us with. Last time I did the Almalfi coast ride using RIL with others from our CC thread and still marvel at the beauty of that drive. My DH could not do it after the drive from Fira to Oia because of his vertigo. I hoped that he would be more amenable this time, but when I broached the subject yesterday, he indicated that it wouldn't happen. However, you have given us different options. We have not done Pompeii and I was thinking of going to Sorrento by train as we dock in Naples. Keep the stories coming. I am impatiently waiting for Monday. ( Need to give you time to catch your breath.)

Ciao,

Nikki

Pompeii is fantastic - I would have loved to have spent more time there...I think you would really enjoy it! You could also go to Herculaneum, which is cool, as well, from what I hear. I'm glad you're getting some tips - I hope they're helpful! :)

And yes...for sure, I'll be back on Monday...getting ready to head to the airport in a bit to fly back home to KC. My summer adventures are sadly over; now it's time to get everyone back into "school" mode. :)

Sherri,

Wow, all that stress and you missed going in the church. I had to at least dig out one from there. :) Marie had to cover her head to go in.

Bill

7708596472_bbc0192ffe_b.jpg

Thanks, Bill - I appreciate this! Really - to see what I missed! (And I didn't have a head covering - so it was probably fate that we couldn't find the way in, right?!)

I always love your photos - you and Marie have quite the adventures, as well!

Sherri,

I spent a good part of my day reading your trip report. It was absolutely delightful! I laughed out loud at some of your predicaments and anguished with you when your sons were "lost".

You are a gifted writer.

I got some nice tips from you on some of the ports we will visit on our Greece and Turkey cruise in October. You stirred up memories of my own trips to Cannes, Rome, Florence and the Amalfi Coast. Thanks for taking me back again.

Thank you again for your information and entertainment.

Thanks, Janet! I'm glad the tips can help - have a wonderful time on your upcoming adventure! :)

By 3:00 pm or so, we were on our way back to port, via the beautiful Amalfi Coast. Tony pops in an Andre Bocelli CD, which is actually what Too-Tall Taylor gave me for Christmas last year, and it was so relaxing….Soon, Hubby Mike and Mickey are both sound asleep, but I just quietly absorb the scenery as we drive along. It’s a very twisting, winding road that is extremely narrow in places; Tony has to drive pretty slow, and we’re fortunate to not run into any heavy traffic. At one point, I asked him, “What do you do when a giant bus is trying to go the other direction? And the road is really skinny?”

Tony answers, “You pray.”

Gulp. ‘Nuff said.

We drive through the villages of Praian, and Amalfi…we pass the Hotel Santa Catarina, which was where Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie filmed “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.” We pass by the hotel where part of “Under the Tuscan Sun” was filmed…and it’s just gorgeous. I can see why Hollywood loves this area as backdrops for their films...it's so very pretty.

SalernoPortFort.jpg

So…we eventually arrive back in Salerno around 4:30 pm, which is where our adventure began. We drove pretty much the entire Coast…was it stunning? Yes. Would I do it again? No. It was a slow drive, with a lot of turns and twists, and by the end of the journey, I was feeling a bit nauseous and carsick.

SalernoPortUs.jpg

Tony stops the van one more time, as we approach the port, so we can take some photos of the ship. A short drive later, he’s dropping us off at the port, and as we say our goodbyes, he presents us with a parting gift of a bottle of limoncello. Oh, bliss.

So, how would I rate Tony and RomeInLimo? Duh. Another A+. Truly, truly outstanding all-around. We couldn't have asked for any better...and the unexpected surprises & gifts were very special and very appreciated.

After we’ve cleaned up, we head out to our balcony for people watching, as we’ve got a great view below us of everyone arriving back to the ship. We see some fellow CruiseCritic friends get back, and we wave…and then….we get to see something you don’t see every day…which provided us with a bit of amusement for the next half hour. Yes – we witnessed the great Occupy Pizza Protest of 2012.

A fellow CruiseCritic family, Jason and Gris, had gone to Naples for the day, but their 15-year old son opted to stay on the ship instead (they’ve been here before). Jason was bringing back a fresh, hot pizza – in the pizza box – for their son to enjoy. Jason gets past the first guard at the RCI gate before the gangway, but the 2nd guard stops him…and we could see the guard indicate the pizza box and shake her head. Basically, the conversation went something like this:

Guard: “What’s in the box?”

Jason: “A pizza for my son.”

Guard: “You can’t take it onboard.”

Jason: “ WHAT? I can’t take it onboard??!! Why not???”

Guard: “Because it’s not allowed.”

So…Jason steps over to the side and thus begins the great Occupy Pizza Protest.

PizzaProtest.jpg

The Protest has begun...Power to the Pizza!

Talking with him later, he told me that he was determined to just sit there – with his pizza – until 6:30 pm, the All-Aboard time. He wasn’t going to throw it away, he said, until the very last minute. As he’s standing there, he looks up and sees us on the balcony. He pretends to “Frisbee” the pizza up to us, and I pretend to catch it, thinking this is really pretty funny. As if he could Frisbee it up to the 10th deck. And – as if I could actually catch it. A little after 6:00 pm, his son shows up, and the two of them had a pizza party right by the gangway. Too funny. I should have asked him later if he shared any pizza with the Guard?!!

Anyway – here’s a tip. Don’t bring back fresh, hot pizza and expect to get it onboard.

After watching a bit of the Occupy Pizza Protest, we make our way over to Concierge, and learn that Errol, the other bartender (besides Ratu), was sick. And speaking of sick…by today, it’s very evident that the Norovirus has struck the ship. We’d been hearing whispers of it for the last few days, but by now – there are daily announcements from the Captain on using hand sanitizers; there are daily announcements in the Cruise Compass; and the ship’s TV station is broadcasting 24/7 information on the Norovirus. There are hand sanitizers EVERYWHERE now, and the cleaning crews seem to be not only everywhere now, but extra busy. We personally knew of at least 7 CruiseCritic members (or family members) who were struck with it, and now a crew member? Scary.

By 6:30 pm, everyone is back onboard…except for two guests. The usual “Will the following guests please report to Guest Services?” announcement is made…at 6:50 pm, a taxi comes whizzing up to the gate at 90 mph, and a frantic couple hops out, and runs full-speed to the gangway. Cruise experiences may change – but the runners are always constant, no matter where you are in the world.

Tonight’s show was SUPPOSED to be the much-anticipated BeatleManiacs – but at 6:00 pm, the cruise director made an announcement that said their show was cancelled. They’d never received their lost luggage, so no costumes…no music…no show. We were bummed, since we felt we had a “connection” with Paul McCartney, aka Jeremy. So – we got a guy who was a mixture of BMX (bicycle) tricks with Cirque du Soleil…which is certainly something you don’t see everyday!

Later that evening, in the elevator, there was a woman who looked at me, and asked, in a very British accent, “Are you Sherri? From Cruise Critic?”

“Why, yes. Yes, I am,” I replied…getting a little used to my celebrity by now. (No. Not really. Not ever.)

She says, “I’m Rita! I met your boys on the first day of the cruise! I recognized them in the elevator.”

I said, “Oh! You’re the mystery woman from Scotland!”

If looks could kill…I’d be dead on the spot. Rita says, “Scotland???!!! I’m from England, I’ll have you know!”

Oh, snap! I am SO sorry! I told her how my boys heard her accent and assumed she was from Scotland…and thinking back on this, really? How can they get a British accent and a Scottish accent confused??!! Sigh. Kids.

Anyway, it was nice to clear up the mystery about the woman who met my boys on the very first day of the cruise.

Tonight was 70’s night at 10:30 in the Centrum…but guess what? We didn’t go.

We crashed. We burned. We slept.

All my Klingons were back together....Life was good.

Up next: our last Sea Day....

Sherri, thank you for taking so much time to put this all together. We are taking the Serenade on the Western Mediterranian in Sept. Your hints on all the ports has been wonderful.

I have a concern. It is just my husband and I going. We know nothing about Europe and I am afraid if we book our own tours we will miss out because we will not have a guide with us to tell us what we are looking at. It sounds like you did a lot of research beforehand. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for sharing your families trip, I've been hanging on since day one, and can't wait for the next post!!:) We have decided for this cruise for next year, and I will be following your very good advise. We are going on the Freedom in September, so will be waiting for that review as well!! Thanks again!!!:)

Kari

Sherri, thank you for taking so much time to put this all together. We are taking the Serenade on the Western Mediterranian in Sept. Your hints on all the ports has been wonderful.

I have a concern. It is just my husband and I going. We know nothing about Europe and I am afraid if we book our own tours we will miss out because we will not have a guide with us to tell us what we are looking at. It sounds like you did a lot of research beforehand. Any suggestions?

Hi Yvonne, I think you are on the same cruise as we are(sept 14th). Most of us on our CC board have planned tours with companies such as Rome in Limo, AP tours or others highly recommended on CC or trip advisor. If you are joining any of us on our group tours they should all have guides. If you haven't joined any of the group tours posted go to our board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34790348#post34790348 and let us know which you still haven't booked so we can help you and see if there are still any openings in the group tours we have found.

Sherri - completely enjoying your review. We are doing the Amalfi coast tour, from your review should we skip the winding roads and just stay in one place like sorrento and positano longer? Or do you have to do the crazy roads in order to get to these places?

Only 36 more days until we leave for Barcelona!!

Diane

I'm at the airport, typing on an iPad... So excuse the mistakes. Diane, below, has some very good advice. Get involved in your Roll Call ASAP and check for openings. You'll get a guide, as well as share the cost... And make new friends! Get the Rick Steve's book on Med cruises; it is very helpful! If you don't end up with guides, Rick's book will be even more helpful. Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing your families trip, I've been hanging on since day one, and can't wait for the next post!!:) We have decided for this cruise for next year, and I will be following your very good advise. We are going on the Freedom in September, so will be waiting for that review as well!! Thanks again!!!:)

Kari

Oh, you're going to have so much fun! I'll get that Freedom review posted ASAP!

Hi Yvonne, I think you are on the same cruise as we are(sept 14th). Most of us on our CC board have planned tours with companies such as Rome in Limo, AP tours or others highly recommended on CC or trip advisor. If you are joining any of us on our group tours they should all have guides. If you haven't joined any of the group tours posted go to our board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34790348#post34790348 and let us know which you still haven't booked so we can help you and see if there are still any openings in the group tours we have found.

Sherri - completely enjoying your review. We are doing the Amalfi coast tour, from your review should we skip the winding roads and just stay in one place like sorrento and positano longer? Or do you have to do the crazy roads in order to get to these places?

Only 36 more days until we leave for Barcelona!!

Diane

Thanks for assisting Yvonne!

I would skip the drive and stay longer in Sorrento and Positano. It was a very long drive, and after awhile, it all started looking the same. Blasphemy, I know!! But that's my honest opinion. I didn't know that going in, tho...!

Sherri,

I'm sad that your review is coming to an end soon. I have enjoyed it tremendously! I've even been reading it daily at work! (Please don't tell my boss). But, good news is on the horizon! You'll be doing your Freedom review. Whew! I can't wait!

Thank you for all of your wit, charm and exceptional writing skills! And a big thank you to your family for giving you so much material to work with! ;)

Thanks for assisting Yvonne!

I would skip the drive and stay longer in Sorrento and Positano. It was a very long drive, and after awhile, it all started looking the same. Blasphemy, I know!! But that's my honest opinion. I didn't know that going in, tho...!

Do you think it would be possible to end the "driving" part of the tour in Positano and take the ferry back to Salerno? It takes the ferry approx 70 minutes - do you remember how long it took by car? This might give us more time taking it all in.

Thanks again!

Diane

Going back to Santorini..... Did your guide say anything about the big dig on the end of the Island that some speculate was the original Atlantis civilization? I went there at least 12 years ago and definitely enjoyed seeing it being excavated. They have it under a roof similar to what you saw in Turkey. I was wondering if much more had been uncovered and was surprised that you didn't go there.

Sherri, I have really enjoyed your adventure with your family. I am truly interested in a Med cruise. But, as I research the $$$$ just seem to add up

endlessly. The cruises don't seem too expensive, but the airfare and the excursions are out of sight.

Without divulging what you spent, what should one budget for excursions? A med cruise seems to be all about the ports, so if you go that far you want to get the most out of your trip.

Any insight you can provide would be helpful. My first guess would be close to 10,000 for 2 people.

thanks, Jane

Sherri, I have really enjoyed your adventure with your family. I am truly interested in a Med cruise. But, as I research the $$$$ just seem to add up

endlessly. The cruises don't seem too expensive, but the airfare and the excursions are out of sight.

Without divulging what you spent, what should one budget for excursions? A med cruise seems to be all about the ports, so if you go that far you want to get the most out of your trip.

Any insight you can provide would be helpful. My first guess would be close to 10,000 for 2 people.

thanks, Jane

Based upon my research, I think that's a fair estimate. I'm booked for Sept 2013 and when I factor in pre cruise hotel, meals on shore, tours, tipping and incidentals, that's what I expect to pay. If I'm over budgeting, that would be wonderful! Any comments?

Later that evening, in the elevator, there was a woman who looked at me, and asked, in a very British accent, “Are you Sherri? From Cruise Critic?”

“Why, yes. Yes, I am,” I replied…getting a little used to my celebrity by now. (No. Not really. Not ever.)

She says, “I’m Rita! I met your boys on the first day of the cruise! I recognized them in the elevator.”

I said, “Oh! You’re the mystery woman from Scotland!”

If looks could kill…I’d be dead on the spot. Rita says, “Scotland???!!! I’m from England, I’ll have you know!”

Oh, snap! I am SO sorry! I told her how my boys heard her accent and assumed she was from Scotland…and thinking back on this, really? How can they get a British accent and a Scottish accent confused??!! Sigh. Kids.

Anyway, it was nice to clear up the mystery about the woman who met my boys on the very first day of the cruise.

In defence of your kids, a Scottish accent is a British accent! Scotland is in Britain. However, a Scottish accent is not an English accent.

Sorry for being pedantic :P

thanks, Jane

For our seven day cruise back in May it would have been between $8500 and $9500 had we paid for airfare (we were lucky to have enough airline miles) so your estimate is a safe one. We started planning more than a year out so we were able to spread the cost out over that amount of time. Hope that helps. :)

Bill

Based upon my research, I think that's a fair estimate. I'm booked for Sept 2013 and when I factor in pre cruise hotel, meals on shore, tours, tipping and incidentals, that's what I expect to pay. If I'm over budgeting, that would be wonderful! Any comments?

Depending on the type of room you get... honestly that's about right. Maybe a little high, but not much.

Here's approximately how ours broke down:

Balcony guarantee for 2: $3000 total (this was a price drop and killer deal, so be on the lookout, esp. after you book)

Airfare from PIT to BCN- $2300

Hotel in Barcelona two nights- $250

Tours (ship/private) plus DIY tickets into various sites/ transportation -$1200

Spending money $800 (approx)

SeaPass for 12 days $1300 (approx)

So we were right around $8500 for two people. Plus shopping trips for clothes before the cruise!

(this does not take into account our jewelry purchases/carpet purchases, but does include other small souvenirs)

But we knew this was not a cheap trip going in. We weren't about to spend all that money to get to Europe and skimp on tours once we were there.