Air from Boston to London

lindacat

I am planning ahead for a transatlantic cruise next year and am looking for airfare from Boston to London. Although it is too early for my flight I have looked at flights for the same time period this summer. It seems price wise I can get non stop flights from Virgin Atlantic, Delta and AA for about the same price. Is there any advantage to one over the other?

I'm going to assume no frequent flier mileage worries, so you'll fly anyone?

Take this from an AA ExecPlat - don't fly AA. They use 757-200 aircraft which don't have any sort of in-flight entertainment, and I personally feel slightly uncomfortable flying a 757 across the ocean (did it once PHL-DUB and swore not again...just didn't like it). But, some people like it, some people don't care or notice. That's just me...

I like BA a lot, and have found myself quite comfortable on the 777-200s, which appears to be what they fly between Boston and London. Inflight entertainment is also better than AA (because...well, it exists).

Delta and Virgin are OK - I've not been terribly impressed with either on trans-atlantic flights. I would put Virgin over Delta though.

Conclusion - Virgin or BA. I slightly prefer BA.

I do belong to both Delta and AA frequent flyer programs, but do not fly enough to have elite status with either, and most of miles come from credit card useage. I am more interested in comfort and service for that flight over the miles I could use. I am currently saving Delta miles to help extended family pay for a european fare in 2014.

I do belong to both Delta and AA frequent flyer programs, but do not fly enough to have elite status with either, and most of miles come from credit card useage.

My motto is always this - you never know when you'll start traveling! At least make sure you get your miles when you fly (You'll get AA miles flying either AA or BA, for example), because who knows what the future will bring and how many miles you will end up racking up in the future. Every little mile helps!

If you want Delta miles, go for Delta. I am not sure what aircraft they use, though. Unfortunately, the days of getting Delta miles on Virgin Atlantic ended about 4 years ago, I believe :(

Next year is a long time in airline terms - schedules and even services can change.

However if it was this year, and price wasn't a key factor, then I'd take either BA's or AA's morning departure from Boston. It's a short flight, which makes "sleeping" on the overnight flights next to impossible, after the post-takeoff announcements, something resembling a meal service, then pre-arrival announcements, a "breakfast" snack, etc.

Instead, with the morning departures from BOS, you ride in (mostly) daylight, can watch movies or read, then book into a hotel (we use Priceline for a Heathrow 4-star hotel and have never paid more than $90) when you arrive in London in the evening.

Sleeping in a real bed rather than in an airplane seat also really whacks jetlag for us. We swear by this approach.

Next year is a long time in airline terms - schedules and even services can change.

However if it was this year, and price wasn't a key factor, then I'd take either BA's or AA's morning departure from Boston. It's a short flight, which makes "sleeping" on the overnight flights next to impossible, after the post-takeoff announcements, something resembling a meal service, then pre-arrival announcements, a "breakfast" snack, etc.

Instead, with the morning departures from BOS, you ride in (mostly) daylight, can watch movies or read, then book into a hotel (we use Priceline for a Heathrow 4-star hotel and have never paid more than $90) when you arrive in London in the evening.

Sleeping in a real bed rather than in an airplane seat also really whacks jetlag for us. We swear by this approach.

Yeah that is a good idea. I did it one from Chicago to London, getting in to LHR around 9:00pm or so and getting to my hotel in Canary Wharf by 10:30pm, grab a late dinner, and asleep by Midnight...that's nice. And the flight from Boston really is super, super short.

I flew Boston to LHR this past May on AA, and in June '11 on Delta. The Delta flight was coach, and the AA flight was "improved" coach (by whatever term they use).

The AA flight was a lot more comfortable, not just because of the better leg room, but also because the seat itself had better padding. Service was better, too.

I flew Boston to LHR this past May on AA, and in June '11 on Delta. The Delta flight was coach, and the AA flight was "improved" coach (by whatever term they use).

The AA flight was a lot more comfortable, not just because of the better leg room, but also because the seat itself had better padding. Service was better, too.

Interesting. In all my flights on AA, I've never heard anything such as "improved coach". I wonder what the heck that is?

Interesting. In all my flights on AA, I've never heard anything such as "improved coach". I wonder what the heck that is?

AA has installed new Y seating in (most of) the 75Ls used for BOS-LHR. It's reported to be more comfortable than the older SlAAveShip seats, but that sure isn't saying much. Still no in-seat video, however.

If this is a one-way trip, going in business class would be an excellent use of AA miles, since all AA awards are now one-way. 50,000 miles would make for a great day trip, either in BA Club (but carrying probably $200-$300 in BA fuel surcharges) or for much less out of pocket in AA's 757 business class, which IMO is really very good.

AA has installed new Y seating in (most of) the 75Ls used for BOS-LHR. It's reported to be more comfortable than the older SlAAveShip seats, but that sure isn't saying much. Still no in-seat video, however.

Awesome. I've never done an AA 75L (haven't done a longhaul narrowbody on AA at all), and have avoided the 757s on AA in general for years now! Even in first class, they're pretty beat up in my experience. I'll stick to the 738s and MD80s for domestic stuff myself :)

Where is your cruise out of?

I would consider looking at Aer Lingus to Dublin, and then a connecting flight, as you might be able to get a lot closer to your cruise port (such as SOU for Southampton, and LCY for Harwich...). Aer Lingus are one of the few airlines offering inexpensive ONE WAY tickets.

Archived