We've done Rome. Any alternate suggestions?

CruisinNole

We're on a Med. cruise on Celebrity Reflection in November. One of the ports is Civitavecchia (Rome). We spent a few days in Rome after a cruise last year and would like to do something different this year. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything to see in Civitavecchia?

While there is more to see in Rome than one could possibly do in a month, if you don't want to go back, there are a few other options from Civitavecchia. Civitavecchia itself does not boast much in the way of things to see.

Options include visiting the Etruscan tombs and Etruscan museum in Tarquinia (can easily be done on your own, by private tour or is frequently offered as a ship tour), or a visit to Orvieto (would need a car or private tour, I think). Civita di Bagnoreggio is another place that some have visited from Civitavecchia and it is supposed to be lovely. Ostia Antica (ruins of the ancient port of Rome) can be done by car or private tour. Taking the train would be inconvenient because you have to go into Rome and then backtrack to Ostia, but if you have the whole day it's doable.

Edited to add: Here's a current thread with a lot of info (and photos) of Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoreggio: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1669909

Thanks for the info. I couldn't agree more with you about so much to see in Rome but my husband just does not want to do the trip from the port to Rome so I'm looking for something else that might appeal to him closer to the port.

We have checked ship shore excursions but he's difficult to please!! Just didn't see anything he liked. I may have to leave him on the ship.

I'm with the previous poster I could spend days or weeks in many cities and not get enough.

Perhaps ask your husband what did he enjoy most about Rome or Italy and take the train in and hang out at his favorite things, cafe, plaza, museums, vatican, or whatever...

If I was so lucky, even just taking public transportation in is an adventure in itself.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't agree more with you about so much to see in Rome but my husband just does not want to do the trip from the port to Rome so I'm looking for something else that might appeal to him closer to the port.

We have checked ship shore excursions but he's difficult to please!! Just didn't see anything he liked. I may have to leave him on the ship.

I think we crammed so much into a few days in Rome, my husband is just a little burned out. If we were staying in Rome either before or after a cruise, I think he'd feel differently. Also, we just returned from two weeks in Alaska, another really port intensive trip. What we'd really like to do is something like a wine tasting, something casual and relaxed.

I think we crammed so much into a few days in Rome, my husband is just a little burned out. If we were staying in Rome either before or after a cruise, I think he'd feel differently. Also, we just returned from two weeks in Alaska, another really port intensive trip. What we'd really like to do is something like a wine tasting, something casual and relaxed.

My bias to head to Rome so my suggestion is a hybrid or your preference and your husband's preference.

In Rome itself, there's a very highy regarded wine tasting organization called Vino Roma. (URL below)

Once in Rome, you could visit a single additional destination that would satisfy you and have a wine tasting or cheese and wine tasting that would satisfy the casual/relaxed requirement.

Vino Roma: http://www.vinoroma.com/

I agree with other posters that there are a lot to see in Rome. However, if you really don't want to go there, you can check out Orvieto. We saw Orvieto on top of cliff when driving from Florence to Rome, but we didn't have time to visit the place. It's really beautiful. I'd like to visit that place someday.

I second Tarquinia and the Etruscan Tombs. On our cruise a few years ago we had 2 days in Civitavecchia so one day we went to Rome and the other we did a tour of Etruscan tombs. We used a private company, Italy Limousine.

Tarquinia sounds great. We'll look in to this. Thanks everyone for your replies.

We're on a Med. cruise on Celebrity Reflection in November. One of the ports is Civitavecchia (Rome). We spent a few days in Rome after a cruise last year and would like to do something different this year. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything to see in Civitavecchia?

We just got back from the Equinox. We are majorly Rome'd out--we've been Bernini sculpture hunting in churches (just found out that we missed one in the Trastevere area!) What about another day trip to Naples? Probably, u are stopping in Naples again, and I tell you, Naples is given a bad rap for nothing. We took a day trip out of Rome and went to the Archaeological Museum--absolutely fantastic, and had the whole place practically to ourselves b/c ev'body was too busy going to the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii/etc..

We just returned from the Silhouette and did Orvieto from Civitavecchia. We did a private tour and included Civita di Bagnoregio. It was incredible. I personally could go into Rome every trip, but my husband really wanted to see something different this trip. We had a fantastic day. We toured with 2 other couples with Romeinlimo and LOVED our day. I could really spend some time in this area. Next time we cruise from Rome, I would like to do some pre-cruise time in this area. Orvieto is VERY charming. It's about the same distance from Civitavecchia but the drive is much better than it is going into Rome.

Archived