June 25th Constellation Norwegian Fjords (Long with pictures)

Syrreal

people were short in Rembrandt's time.

IMG_0597.jpg

And they slept sitting up!

IMG_0598.jpg

After visiting the Rembrandt house we made our way through a street fair back to the hotel where our room was finally ready.

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

That's one way to get around town

IMG_1237.jpg

Dinner was at an argentinian restaurant followed by a desert of banana and nutella pancake at The Pancake Bakery.

IMG_1240.jpg

The Grand Hotel Amrath is beautiful. It also includes free wifi and free minibar. The room is huge and has a giant tub and separate shower. The only drawback is that you cannot control the thermostat more than approximately 3 degrees. This was a deal breaker on a very hot day and we had to sleep with the window open, which let in mosquitoes, and it was still pretty hot. For this reason (and only this reason) I wouldn’t want to stay there again.

View from our window

IMG_1921.jpg

So ended the most wonderful vacation celebrating the last ten years of my life. The flights back were uneventful and easy and while we were glad to be home and see the boys, neither one of us wanted the vacation to end.

thank you for a wonderful trip review. I loved the pictures.

I hope to sail on the Constellation in 2013. thanks for the pictures of the ship.

I too think the NA beverage package is a great deal.

what a nice invitation to join the CD at the captain's table.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the wonderful photos and memories. We were in this cruise as well. Your text and photos really captured how really nice it was. I was concerned about so many port days but the towns were so small (Bergen & Oslo excepted) that we were able to do a lot of walking and yet not run ourselves into the ground.

The fjords are more amazing and spectacular than I ever thought they could be.

And, we were lucky with several blue sky/sunshine days.

Thank you so much for the review and your wonderful photos. We are doing 3 B2B on the Constellation next year taking in the Baltic, Arctic Circle and Norway. You have made sure I am now even more impatient.

Beryl

• 2 weeks later...

We are inviting a few of our Cruise Critic members and readers to be among the first to participate and have a chance to have their Celebrity vacation and destination images and videos shared with the rest of the world.

We’re admirers of some of the photos and stories you’ve shared. Today, we’ve launched Celebrity Cruises Storybook hosted on our Celebrity Cruises Facebook Page.

Please take a look at http://on.fb.me/QVlbwI and click on Add Your Story. Follow the simple instructions. We’ll review the content and your Celebrity Cruises story could be shared with others and possibly used in our marketing materials.

Thanks for your participation and being such a strong supporter of our brand.

All the best……Brian

Brian P. Powell

Celebrity Cruises

Marketing

• 6 months later...
We stepped off the bus into downtown Alesund.

Alesund is a very cute city. It reminds me of some place that you would see a romantic comedy filmed. Katherine Heigl would be running around clumsily trying to get the attention of Josh Duhamel or something like that. Just insert any two romcom actors.

It was Sunday, so most of the shops we closed.

That snack at the Sea Park was long gone and we decided to walk around in search of some lunch. Then it started to rain.

The deluge came.

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

We walked into the ANNO partially because it was there and partially because we spotted some of the food they were serving. They have an outdoor area with umbrellas and some uncovered tables and we spied some pizza. There was also a pub close by but that was definitely not what either one of us were in the mood for. Pizza usually wins that battle.

And it was very tasty pizza.

Prosciutto Pizza K$140 (about $25 US)

255247_10100800774179050_1484404737_n.jpg

As a last minute addition I put in an order for Fish Soup. This delicious and creamy soup was served with two thick slices of warm fresh bread and some butter. Perfect for dipping into the soup

Fish Soup (K$115 approx $20 US)

599854_10100800774952500_470480552_n.jpg

While we were dining, the sky cleared in time for us to start walking back to the ship.

What's in the barell?

541917_10100800759857750_1421257919_n.jpg

View and flowers

IMG_0563.jpg

Love love love this photo!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

it was your fantastic review that sealed the deal for our upcoming 6/25/13 trip to Norway. I had been deciding between two itineraries and your pictures and review had me make a fast call to the travel agent. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read through the review. I'm glad that it helped solidify your trip. You will LOVE it.

It made such an impression on us that we are already booked for the Arctic Circle cruise next year and we will be taking the kids. It hits some of the same ports including Alesund and Bergen so we are very excited to take the kids there.

• 2 months later...
Wow! I can't believe my review has gotten over 10,000 views!! I'm amazed and humbled!

This sort of effort absolutely benefits future planning. Next year we will take this cruise to finish our summer vacation (hopefully rather restful), Starting with a Basel/Amsterdam river cruise, then six days where we think we will visit Belgium for the first time (Brugge, Ghent, Antwerp).

Hope that you still receive notices, so I'll ask a couple of questions: Have followed your advice on selecting a starboard balcony: what do you feel are the benefits (very few C3 balconies remain, only one on deck 6 and a handful on deck 7! (Considering "the economy" I've been shocked to find almost no cabins for next June/July river cruises!

Was your Roll Call active? Did anyone research the possibility of private tours? Unlike most Baltic itineraries with either multiple ships in port or ships in port every day, I would think that some of these ports are very infrequent? We did this ship RT Amsterdam to Scandinavian capitals/Tallin/Russia and remember it to be a very busy cruise. Indeed, we were surprised at how the Russians had business sense (competed with each other to cram the maximum into each day) : apparently they have the business sense and the educational process down well, but have no idea of what hospitality means (never asked how we were doing, only ran across one person who smiled at us -- indeed our tour guide looked on the verge of tears when we were introduced to her!

Looking back on these ports, is there anything you might do differently given the chance?

Much thanks,

DJ:)

Hi DJ,

I'm glad that my trip report has helped others. It was such an amazing trip!

The biggest advantages to the balconies (and ultimately you'd be fine in either starboard or port in Norway since the fjords will be seen on both sides) is that they offer such a peaceful place to rest and watch the world go by. There are some chilly days and being out on deck isn't as feasible as pulling a blanket outside and watching the waves and sights. I usually spent some times listening to audiobooks while on our lounger with a couple of couch cushions and the throw. I would not have been able to get as comfortable if it wasn't our balcony.

Our roll call was very active. I'm pretty sure that you can still see it on the roll call board. There were plenty of people who did private tours. We didn't do any because we really didn't research as much as we could have. That's one thing both DH and I would change. For example, in Molde we did not have anything planned and wandered around aimlessly and that ended up my least favorite stop. We'll be stopping there next year again and I'm already trying to look for some things to do there.

The other thing I would change was that in Skjolden we would have toured the other stave church instead of the one we saw. In the other one you were allowed to take non-flash photos while you could not take any photos I inside the one we saw. Also the deer farm was just ok.

This sort of effort absolutely benefits future planning. Next year we will take this cruise to finish our summer vacation (hopefully rather restful), Starting with a Basel/Amsterdam river cruise, then six days where we think we will visit Belgium for the first time (Brugge, Ghent, Antwerp).

Hope that you still receive notices, so I'll ask a couple of questions: Have followed your advice on selecting a starboard balcony: what do you feel are the benefits (very few C3 balconies remain, only one on deck 6 and a handful on deck 7! (Considering "the economy" I've been shocked to find almost no cabins for next June/July river cruises!

Was your Roll Call active? Did anyone research the possibility of private tours? Unlike most Baltic itineraries with either multiple ships in port or ships in port every day, I would think that some of these ports are very infrequent? We did this ship RT Amsterdam to Scandinavian capitals/Tallin/Russia and remember it to be a very busy cruise. Indeed, we were surprised at how the Russians had business sense (competed with each other to cram the maximum into each day) : apparently they have the business sense and the educational process down well, but have no idea of what hospitality means (never asked how we were doing, only ran across one person who smiled at us -- indeed our tour guide looked on the verge of tears when we were introduced to her!

Looking back on these ports, is there anything you might do differently given the chance?

Much thanks,

Hi, here's what I posted at the start of this year's roll call. Very few opportunities for "private" tours though.

"Hi, having done the 2012 version of this cruise I hope the following will be of use even though the ports are in a different order and 2013 has Flam instead of Stavanger.

'Having taken this cruise in 2012, I thought a short review might be helpful. The review is written from the perspective of a traveller who pulled a muscle in his foot shortly before embarkation day, and was thus not able to undertake much walking!

We had Celebrity transfers so boarding at Amsterdam was painless. For those arriving by train the Cruise Terminal is an easy 10 minute walk from Centraal Station.

Stavanger.

The ship docks alongside the old city, an easy short walk brings you to the cathedral, museums, small street market, and the central park and lake.

Olden.

A small town with reasonably priced souvenir and clothes shops opposite the dock. Many people will of course do the ship’s tour to Briksdal Glacier which has a 2km walk from coach to Glacier, although there also options from local minibus and coach companies to buy tickets for a similar trip from the port. Alternatively a local company with road trains runs a tour of the local area up the fjord and back, or you can walk (to the right from the dock area).

Molde.

The ship docks very close to the town centre; of interest are the modern cathedral, town hall roof rose garden (entrance up steps at rear of town hall), various statues and the Romsdal Regional Open Air Museum which is walkable to BUT up a very steep route, so maybe a taxi going there. The museum opens at 11am for casual visits (ignore anyone who suggests earlier – they are wrong), and you should apply liberal amounts of anti mossie/midge preparations (similar biting midges to the Scottish ones).

Geiranger.

The only port with tenders to the shore. Useful to Google “Geirangerfijord Sightseeing” for further information. Pre bookable local trips are available online or from the tourist information office which is the large blue building on the right as you dock from the tenders. These trips include a 90 minute scenic cruise along the fjord, and a public bus trip to the summit of Mount Dalsnibba – if the bus company is contacted in advance it may be possible to arrange for a wheelchair friendly vehicle that day, certainly that was done specially for a couple on this years cruise.

Alesund.

The ship docks a short way (5-10 minute walk) from the city centre. If it’s Sunday nothing much happens until after 10am. The very fit can walk up the many steps to Mount Aksla, others may wish to take the sightseeing road train from the kiosk in Dronning Sonjas Plass alongside the Inner Marina, but be aware this is not a HOHO service just a round trip with a stop at the summit of Aksla. Other options include walking the city (not completely flat) or the bus from port to the Aquarium.

Skjolden.

A tiny village with an equally tiny pier. The ship does a complete turn on it’s axis in the fjord before docking. Apart from ships tours you can take a local bus at 1045am from the stop opposite the village information centre for a scenic ride along the fjord to the town of Gaupne (cost in 2012 was 90 krone return for the 2 off us) returning at 2.20pm. At Gaupne you will find a stave church (and note the many cruise ship coaches calling there) which is lovely once the coaches have gone, a waterfall and small town/shopping centre.

Bergen.

The ship docks within easy (5-10 minutes) walk of the city centre. The obvious sights of the Bryggen, fish market and the funicular railway up to Mount Floien are all there. If going on the funicular, head there first before all the coach parties get there. If using the HOHO bus get off at the first stop and walk to the funicular, rather than wait for the HOHO to tour round the sights as you can do that later! The HOHO can either be prebooked online (Google search as more than one company) or on the day as it starts from outside the cruise terminal.

Oslo.

The ship docks alongside Akerhuis Fort. With only one day to see OSLO the HOHO bus is a very good option. My personal opinion is to go straight to stop 9 – the Vigeland Sculpture Park – before all the tour coaches arrive – and then continue round as the mood takes you. Other notable stops are at/near the Cathedral, the Folk and Maritime Museums, and City Hall from where you can walk back to the ship if you wish (or carry on via the museums again).

In all the above ports we were greeted by local tourist information staff, provided with maps and advice etc.

Finally, the formal nights were on days 2, 7 and 11, although of course this could vary.

I hope some may have found this post useful and that you all enjoy this cruise as much as I did.

Doug."

Hi DJ,

For example, in Molde we did not have anything planned and wandered around aimlessly and that ended up my least favorite stop. We'll be stopping there next year again and I'm already trying to look for some things to do there.

The other thing I would change was that in Skjolden we would have toured the other stave church instead of the one we saw. In the other one you were allowed to take non-flash photos while you could not take any photos I inside the one we saw. Also the deer farm was just ok.

Hi, loved your report and see my suggestions above for Molde.

Thank you.

First impressions:

(1) Does Celebrity provide any cultural/geographical lectures to orient/educate passengers?

(2) For passengers who come prepared or approach an ATM (maybe at Frankfort Airport?) with a large amount of euros, is there some specific need for local currency in Norway, or can you get by with credit cards that don't charge currency fees (Visa, Mastercard)?

(3) "Formal nights" are most likely to be on At Sea days? Day 11 would be following Oslo, while night before would be At Sea.

(4) For 2014, "Flam" apparently replaces "Skjolden" -- any comments?

An excellent support for travel planning, much thanks,