Does carnival have a higher end ship kinda like princess???

only1deejay

Carnival Corp offers different cruising experiences with each of it's lines. Think Hilton and Hampton Inn. Carnival is the Hampton, Hilton the Cunard. In between lies Princess, HAL. I'd like to try each one. HAL almost got me this time, but thought I'd wait till I turned 55. ;) Breeze in Spring 2013 will probably be my last Carnival cruise. 2014 Hubby and I will take HAL to Alaska. After that, who knows? That's the fun of it all.

the new sunshine? they're taking an old ship from the 90's, already overcrowed in all areas, and already quite unpopular among many, and adding cabins, and slicing public rooms, hoping everyone huddles in the newly added serenity aft.

op, no, carnival cruise lines does not have any upscale ships or experiences. regardless what you pay, you only get the same as everyone else.

Feels forhead .. I posted just about the same thing above. We agree again.. 3rd time in 48 hours. I must have a fever.

I am not putting down Carnival .. but of all the ships that I would suggest to be closer to Princess .. its wouldnt be a older ship getting a refurb and a new name where some who are not familiar with Carnival are getting fooled. People say .. oh is this a new ship. NO.

Of course on another thread, someone said Dream was better than Magic, and I disagree with them too.. but the OP is going with Dream now.

I think you cant just get a opinion on CC and run with it until you get many opinions. .. I would pick the newest ship myself as the best.

Then why do you cruise Carnival?

Of course you would never be one of those persons who dose not cruise Carnival at all but still fells the need to post the the Carnival board.

IMHO there are quite a few out here like that.

have you cruised the destiny?

i have. worst ship in the fleet.

my guess is carnival thinks so too, so bad, they are killing her.

I have to disagree. One of the worst cruises I have been on (service, cabin, food and entertainment) was on the Sun Princess. I have sailed Carnival at least 15 times and all have been better.

However, I would agree that in general princess is more upscale. However, the Princess cruises I have been on have all been less upscale than Holland America (or Celebrity, but that is RCL.)

If Celebrity is upscale I'll stick to Carnival.

Our Celebrity cruise had way too many dress codes, snobs and almaost every thing was geared to the over 60 crowd. But the service was really good.

BTW I'm 61 but not quite ready for old peoples cruising.

Sounds like some are upset that New Orleans will be getting Carnival's next flagship. :D Too bad, so sad. :p:

Not one person said that. Why do people jump to conclusions?? I am close enough that I will be sailing on her? Already said not upset.. I doubt H8 is upset either, why would either of us care?

Are you so defensive and sensitive about Carnival that someone saying its not the best ship in the fleet you need to jump to conclusions they care if NOLA winds up getting her?? Depends on the price. Triumph is similar and I sail her, because its close enough to drive when the price is right. Because I dont say Triumph is better than Magic .. you think it means I am upset we have Triumph.. that would be what you are saying.. dont put words in people's months that no one said.. you are such a cheerleader it can get ridiculous.. Carnival isnt your sister, dont get defensive. Its just not my idea of the best ship. .. we will see how prices run and that will be telling. If prices are higher than Magic per day.. then you win, its the best ship to Carnival. Do you really think its better than Magic?? Its all opinion ..

have you cruised the destiny?

i have. worst ship in the fleet.

my guess is carnival thinks so too, so bad, they are killing her.

It is strange you say that. My first cruise with Carnival was on the Destiny and I thought it was such a POS that I almost didn't go back. Then I cruised the Ecstasy of all ships and loved it. After that we sailed that Magic and loved her too and will be sailing her again next week. I never have been able to pinpoint what is wrong with the Destiny in my musings over it but she certainly needs to be put down IMO.

To answer the OPs question, yes but they are all named Princess something.

As far as the sunshine goes, what kind of sick mind says 'look at all this space we are wasting on entertainment. We should make it cabin space and cram more people on board.'

Not that I follow it, but doubt you see many Caddys on the Nascar circuit. :p

What's Nascar? ;)

I will defer to a NC expert. :D

It still couldn't keep up with a Corvette ZR1.

You're right, with the ZR1 hitting 60 mph in 3.3 seconds, and the sled far behind at 3.9 seconds... (that's why I said most Chevy's)! :D

Not only that, but you can't get that engine in a Vette with an automatic.. and I am a lazy driver -- the Caddy offers an automatic (that must be punishing on the transmission)! That would be one extended warranty I would buy into!! ;)

Tom

It is strange you say that. My first cruise with Carnival was on the Destiny and I thought it was such a POS that I almost didn't go back. Then I cruised the Ecstasy of all ships and loved it. After that we sailed that Magic and loved her too and will be sailing her again next week. I never have been able to pinpoint what is wrong with the Destiny in my musings over it but she certainly needs to be put down IMO.

i also loved the ecstacy, with its wild decor. there was something about that ship. we may return if it's one of the fantasy class that have added the balconies.

Not only that, but you can't get that engine in a Vette with an automatic.. and I am a lazy driver -- the Caddy offers an automatic (that must be punishing on the transmission)! That would be one extended warranty I would buy into!! ;)

not to mention I fit better in a Caddy,

It will be. I'm looking forward to sailing on the new Carnival Sunshine.

I'm not so narrow minded as to judge a ship that hasn't been built, yet.

really? you should open it a bit. the ship was built 16 years ago.

As far as the sunshine goes, what kind of sick mind says 'look at all this space we are wasting on entertainment. We should make it cabin space and cram more people on board.'

So let me make sure I understand what you are saying here. This is not a brilliant idea?

icon7.gif

I cant imagine taking a old ship and refubishing her so that she is better than say Magic or a newer ship. She is a tired old ship with a bad reputation, so bad they had to change her name to attract passengers. How is that going to be as good as Princess?? I dont get it.

I would pick Magic or Breeze in a heart beat over a tired old ship that had mechanical problems and poor lay out in the buffet they are going to fix up. Just me.. but thats why they have lots of ships so everyone can pick what suits them.

I have heard that the renovated "Sunshine" will hold many more passengers than the Destiny. Wouldn't that make it much more crowded?

PS - Just checked - its supposed to carry 3006 as opposed to the Destiny's 2642. I think that's more than the Conquest - which is a much larger ship.

I have heard that the renovated "Sunshine" will hold many more passengers than the Destiny. Wouldn't that make it much more crowded?

Ask Sarge.

The question the OP asked is which ship is closest to Princess and someone said Sunshine.. and I disagreed.

I would pick Magic or Breeze as the best ship myself.... and then Sarge went off into a tangent that people care if NOLA gets Sunshine, which has zero to do with what anyone said or the topic.

I pick Magic .. its gorgeous, its still my pick as best ship.

Unless they are simultaneously adding additional square footage, it will impact the Passenger Space Ratio (driving it down)... actually THIS page shows it dropping from 38 (not great to begin with) to 33 - which will be the lowest in the fleet.

Tom

PS - Just checked - its supposed to carry 3006 as opposed to the Destiny's 2642. I think that's more than the Conquest - which is a much larger ship.

aparently, everywhere but new orleans.

No. They are adding a partial deck that already exists on Victory and Triumph and a number of new food venues and entertainment options.

Both Victory and Triumph have more cabins than Destiny currently does.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Hmm, yes the ship was built in 1996! Did you mean to say a re-furbished ship?

Although Carnival wants to make it appear that she's a new ship, she's not!:rolleyes:

Ask Sarge.

The question the OP asked is which ship is closest to Princess and someone said Sunshine.. and I disagreed.

I would pick Magic or Breeze as the best ship myself.... and then Sarge went off into a tangent that people care if NOLA gets Sunshine, which has zero to do with what anyone said or the topic.

I pick Magic .. its gorgeous, its still my pick as best ship.

I answered that Carnival has nothing like Princess. :rolleyes:

There is no reason for one Carnival brand to compete against another. That would be foolish.

Unless they are simultaneously adding additional square footage, it will impact the Passenger Space Ratio (driving it down)... actually THIS page shows it dropping from 38 (not great to begin with) to 33 - which will be the lowest in the fleet.

Tom

Passenger Space Ratio is a phony statistic based on volume, not square footage and is pretty meaningless. But yes, they are adding square footage.

Space Ratio Details

Space ratio: The enclosed space (cubic feet) per passenger on the ship.

Example:30000/1000=30 cubic feet

Where 30000 is Ship Size expressed in Gross Tonnage and 1000 is the passenger capacity on ship.

Note: Space ratio does not necessarily correlate with stateroom size. Ships can have small staterooms but very large public areas, yielding a higher space ratio number.

The higher the ratio, the more passengers will have a sense of the ship's roominess.

The new ship will be nothing like the old. ;)

is that a judge?

Gerry Cahill :confused:

I'm beginning to think it was Zydey.

No. They are adding a partial deck that already exists on Victory and Triumph and a number of new food venues and entertainment options.

That is an outright lie. In addition to the extra deck they are also replacing entertainment space (aft lounge, 1 floor of the forward lounge) with cabins.

Archived