Carnival Email Survey - Mobile, AL?

lucigo

Mobile is not nearly as dirty as New Orleans. Have you ever walked around the French Quarter early in the morning. The smell of urine, vomit, garbage and horse/mule feces is overwhelming. I love NOLA but it is far from clean.

I've never stayed at the Malaga Inn. You would have done better to stay either at the Battle House or the Renaissance Riverview Hotel. Both beautiful hotels. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown and the Hampton Inn downtown, both very nice hotels. I don't know what part of Mobile you visited but the parts of downtown we have explored seem very historic and worth exploring.

As you mentioned you cruised once out of this port on the Fantasy. Well I've cruised four times out of Mobile and it was a smooth experience for me each of the four times we cruised. Maybe you just happen to be their when they had a bad day. That can happen any where at any port.

If Mobile is fortunate enough to get another ship, I challenge you to give Mobile another try.

Agreed. The Riverview and Hampton as well as that area are very nice. Often wanted to go to Dauphine street for an evening but never seemed to get past Veets across from Riverview and next to Hampton Inn.

Agreed. The Riverview and Hampton as well as that area are very nice. Often wanted to go to Dauphine street for an evening but never seemed to get past Veets across from Riverview and next to Hampton Inn.

Veets!!

It would be nice if CCL could develop some eastern Caribbean voyages from either NOLA or Mobile.

From where we live it is 6 X 6 to leave out of Galveston, NOLA, or Mobile with Galveston being a couple of hours further drive time than NOLA or Mobile. Mobile, IMHO, is easier to access and much cheaper to stay in before and after the cruise than NOLA, so all other things being equal we would prefer to go out of Mobile. We do normally prefer the 7 day cruises to the 4 & 5 day cruises.

A 6 - 9 day eastern Caribbean format out of Mobile would be very welcome to us.

Add us to the "we want another ship in Mobile" crowd! Sailing from Mobile was a very good experience and, like NO, is a "home port" for us in Mississippi.

Never understood why Carnival pulled out of Mobile! The port was about the easiest to get into/out of for those who drove, the staff was ultra friendly, the terminal was nice, and the ships sailed at an average of 110% capacity. There must have been some real issues that never made the headlines for Carnival to pull out of a lucrative market!!

Also, I like the idea of a longer cruise going to the eastern carib from Mobile!

Five minutes ago on channel 15 WPMI out of Mobile, Al was a news story about this survey. It showed a screen shot of the CruiseCritic web page. The Mayor of Mobile was interviewed. The reporter could not get any info from Carnival. Have not checked if there is video on the station's website. I also got the survey.

Add us to the "we want another ship in Mobile" crowd! Sailing from Mobile was a very good experience and, like NO, is a "home port" for us in Mississippi.

Never understood why Carnival pulled out of Mobile! The port was about the easiest to get into/out of for those who drove, the staff was ultra friendly, the terminal was nice, and the ships sailed at an average of 110% capacity. There must have been some real issues that never made the headlines for Carnival to pull out of a lucrative market!!

Also, I like the idea of a longer cruise going to the eastern carib from Mobile!

As with any business decision, there are always multiple factors.

However, as I understood it at the time, the Emission Standards that went into place in 2012 was the "final straw". Early projections had these new standards adding 50-75 million in fuel costs to Carnival (not sure if that was Carnival CORP or Carnival Cruise Lines).

By moving the Ecstasy from New Orleans to Port Canaveral....Carnival saved approximately 1,200 nautical miles every week...and since it takes a gallon of bunker oil to move that puppy 60 feet....that is a lot of savings.

However, it is also my understanding that Carnival was under contract to have 2 ships in New Orleans (keeping a promise to New Orleans that they would return 2 ships like before Katrina as soon as financially possible)....

so Carnival was obligated to replace the Ecstasy when it left New Orleans.

Since the Elation was not under contract, it got pulled to replace the Ecstasy.

While the occupancy seemed to be ok out of Mobile, there was some talk of lack luster prices to reach those occupancy numbers AND less than stellar revenues on the "back end" (revenue earned on the ship ... drinking, gambling and excursions being the top 3).

As with any business decision, there are always multiple factors.

However, as I understood it at the time, the Emission Standards that went into place in 2012 was the "final straw". Early projections had these new standards adding 50-75 million in fuel costs to Carnival (not sure if that was Carnival CORP or Carnival Cruise Lines).

By moving the Ecstasy from New Orleans to Port Canaveral....Carnival saved approximately 1,200 nautical miles every week...and since it takes a gallon of bunker oil to move that puppy 60 feet....that is a lot of savings.

However, it is also my understanding that Carnival was under contract to have 2 ships in New Orleans (keeping a promise to New Orleans that they would return 2 ships like before Katrina as soon as financially possible)....

so Carnival was obligated to replace the Ecstasy when it left New Orleans.

Since the Elation was not under contract, it got pulled to replace the Ecstasy.

While the occupancy seemed to be ok out of Mobile, there was some talk of lack luster prices to reach those occupancy numbers AND less than stellar revenues on the "back end" (revenue earned on the ship ... drinking, gambling and excursions being the top 3).

If Carnival, or any other cruise line comes back to Mobile, you can bet there will be an iron clad, cross my heart and hope to die contract. If Mobile makes that same mistake again, they are certified idiots!

One thing I did really like about Mobile was how the parking garage gates were closed and locked until the ship returned.

That always made me feel better about the safety of my vehicle while we were gone.

It is one of the only ports we have sailed from where they do that.

If Carnival, or any other cruise line comes back to Mobile, you can bet there will be an iron clad, cross my heart and hope to die contract. If Mobile makes that same mistake again, they are certified idiots!

Sadly that was not their only mistake. Having a contract is not going to do Mobile any good unless they manage the business profitably.

It is clear that whoever was :in charge: before had no clue what they were doing....I hope Mobile gets rid of them because bringing any cruise line back there.

Just took the survey... I agree with you 150% about Mobile - remember how rude they were and how they jacked up the parking after CCL announced they were leaving? Overall, they deserved to lose their ship.

NOPE, Dont remember that!

We took the very last sailing out and do not recall being treated any different than the other 7 sailings from there.

Just took the survey... I agree with you 150% about Mobile - remember how rude they were and how they jacked up the parking after CCL announced they were leaving? Overall, they deserved to lose their ship.

Axe to grind? Dish!!

If you don't like Mobile, don't cruise out of Mobile. The rest of us will be glad to get a ship back in Mobile.

I cruised out of Mobile one last time after they anounced Carnival was leaving. I didn't notice anyone being rude or jacking up any prices. Everyone we encountered were very kind and hospitable as they always were in the past,

I really enjoyed sailing out of Mobile.

We had no trouble in the 6 times we sailed from Mobile finding a hotel room.

Mobile has its own Mardi Gras that has been running longer than the one in New Orleans.

It also has the USS Alabama to tour and Bellingrath Gardens and I have always wanted to stay at the Battle House Hotel.

And a plus for us is that we can leave really early on the day of a cruise and get there in time.

It is nicer to go the day before, but sometimes with work it is not possible.

If Carnival is really thinking of going back to Mobile I would be happy.

They can probably get it for almost nothing now...

Sneaky that.

I didn't receive a survey and I have never sailed from Mobile. My youngerst son has twice. His main complaint was the quality of the ship. I would love to see a ship there again. We live in Atlanta; one son lives in Huntsville; and our youngest daughter live at Navarre Beach. That would be a wonderful port for a family cruise. :)

NOPE, Dont remember that!

We took the very last sailing out and do not recall being treated any different than the other 7 sailings from there.

We were on the 2nd to last sailing and they were EXTREMELY pleasant! We even had a conversation with our porter about it, and he was super polite and had a positive attitude. We wished him well!

If you don't like Mobile, don't cruise out of Mobile. The rest of us will be glad to get a ship back in Mobile.

I cruised out of Mobile one last time after they anounced Carnival was leaving. I didn't notice anyone being rude or jacking up any prices. Everyone we encountered were very kind and hospitable as they always were in the past,

2ports cruised out of Mobile in 2006 and again in 2011. The price of parking did go up 50% during the intervening 5 years to be on par with most other cruise ports. Other parking venues in town could be had for about half what it cost at the terminal. Perhaps, 2ports thought that the price spiked after Carnival announced they were leaving, but actually I believe it was raised twice over that 5 year period.

Archived