Carnival Email Survey - Mobile, AL?

lucigo

I imagine that the reason Mobile didn't have a contract from Carnival before is because Carnival refused to give one. And unfortunately, Mobile would probably not be in a position to make demands of Carnival if they consider returning. Once again, Mobile may be forced to rely on the "good faith" of Carnival -- and it would probably be worth the risk. Otherwise, Mobile would most likely NOT get a ship from Carnival at all. Carnival has all the power in the relationship.

Normally, I try to avoid getting involved in arguments or long, drawn out back and forth – not worth it. Express my opinion, and move on. But this is a case where I figured I’d try and clarify my position.

Backstory: In 24 cruises, I have sailed out of 9 different ports: NOLA, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Port Canaveral, Vancouver, Honolulu, San Juan; and 6 times out of Mobile between 2006 and the second or third to last cruise out of the port in 2011. I have been visiting the Mobile area for at least the last 50 years; had friends in Robertsdale, performed at Lucy Buffet’s place in Gulf Shores, stayed in several different hotels in Mobile, driven in the day of, you name it. Let me be clear – I LOVED having a Carnival ship based there. I wish we had one here (we did have the Conquest for a little while about 10 years ago). It was great having two cruise ports an hour from home.

However, I’m sorry to say that the city of Mobile is one of the few places I’ve been (out of 50 states and over 50 countries) where they just don’t seem to get it as a tourist destination, and definitely not as a cruise port. The first time I sailed from there was just after the storm (how we refer to Katrina around here, for all you Yankees); I cut them slack because they were still recovering. But the lack of park and cruise packages, the “We’re doing you a favor” and “Don’t care” attitudes in much of the hospitality industry, the outright gouging I encountered made it my least favorite port city. When flying in and out of GPT I always meet folks from Mobile who drive over here to fly because it’s often as much as $250 less for the same flight. As for the change after Carnival announced they were pulling out, I cruised both just before and twice afterward; my last cruise out of Mobile I paid more to park for a 5 day cruise than I did a few months later for a 7 day out of NOLA. The people (NOT the CCL employees) were sullen and rude, from the parking attendants to the porters to security. (wasn’t just me; the CCL folks inside agreed) Mind, I’m very laid back and easygoing when I travel. Parking access? A mess until the police feel like showing up; a nightmare if there’s a train or the ship is late or late debarking. Then there’s that tour of downtown Mobile they direct you on when you leave the port. Of course, you could just take a left out of the port… Then there’s politics. That was a big factor. One party (I have no axe to grind; no names) came right out and publically said that they would do anything to make sure that anything the other party did would fail, especially if it was as successful for the local economy as the port was. My family has been in politics around here for almost 200 years, from the lowest local levels to the highest state levels (not that I see eye to eye with most of them, ahem); I have access to all sorts of people, including the top level at the Port of Gulfport, and they confirmed that politics played a large role in the situation.

Mobile had a golden opportunity – (I would love to get a ship here but here, too, that’s mired in local politics) and they threw it away. All in all, I repeat – they deserved to lose their ship.

Would I give them another try if they get another ship? Absolutely – if the price and/or itinerary was right. I honestly hope they do, and I truly hope they get it right this time.

Normally, I try to avoid getting involved in arguments or long, drawn out back and forth – not worth it. Express my opinion, and move on. But this is a case where I figured I’d try and clarify my position.

Backstory: In 24 cruises, I have sailed out of 9 different ports: NOLA, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Port Canaveral, Vancouver, Honolulu, San Juan; and 6 times out of Mobile between 2006 and the second or third to last cruise out of the port in 2011. I have been visiting the Mobile area for at least the last 50 years; had friends in Robertsdale, performed at Lucy Buffet’s place in Gulf Shores, stayed in several different hotels in Mobile, driven in the day of, you name it. Let me be clear – I LOVED having a Carnival ship based there. I wish we had one here (we did have the Conquest for a little while about 10 years ago). It was great having two cruise ports an hour from home.

However, I’m sorry to say that the city of Mobile is one of the few places I’ve been (out of 50 states and over 50 countries) where they just don’t seem to get it as a tourist destination, and definitely not as a cruise port. The first time I sailed from there was just after the storm (how we refer to Katrina around here, for all you Yankees); I cut them slack because they were still recovering. But the lack of park and cruise packages, the “We’re doing you a favor” and “Don’t care” attitudes in much of the hospitality industry, the outright gouging I encountered made it my least favorite port city. When flying in and out of GPT I always meet folks from Mobile who drive over here to fly because it’s often as much as $250 less for the same flight. As for the change after Carnival announced they were pulling out, I cruised both just before and twice afterward; my last cruise out of Mobile I paid more to park for a 5 day cruise than I did a few months later for a 7 day out of NOLA. The people (NOT the CCL employees) were sullen and rude, from the parking attendants to the porters to security. (wasn’t just me; the CCL folks inside agreed) Mind, I’m very laid back and easygoing when I travel. Parking access? A mess until the police feel like showing up; a nightmare if there’s a train or the ship is late or late debarking. Then there’s that tour of downtown Mobile they direct you on when you leave the port. Of course, you could just take a left out of the port… Then there’s politics. That was a big factor. One party (I have no axe to grind; no names) came right out and publically said that they would do anything to make sure that anything the other party did would fail, especially if it was as successful for the local economy as the port was. My family has been in politics around here for almost 200 years, from the lowest local levels to the highest state levels (not that I see eye to eye with most of them, ahem); I have access to all sorts of people, including the top level at the Port of Gulfport, and they confirmed that politics played a large role in the situation.

Mobile had a golden opportunity – (I would love to get a ship here but here, too, that’s mired in local politics) and they threw it away. All in all, I repeat – they deserved to lose their ship.

Would I give them another try if they get another ship? Absolutely – if the price and/or itinerary was right. I honestly hope they do, and I truly hope they get it right this time.

Oops! I asked. LOL!

I imagine that the reason Mobile didn't have a contract from Carnival before is because Carnival refused to give one. And unfortunately, Mobile would probably not be in a position to make demands of Carnival if they consider returning. Once again, Mobile may be forced to rely on the "good faith" of Carnival -- and it would probably be worth the risk. Otherwise, Mobile would most likely NOT get a ship from Carnival at all. Carnival has all the power in the relationship.

I have to disagree that Carnival had all the power.

If Mobile was such a fabulous port, without a contract .... NCL or RCCL or any other cruise line could have come in there and knocked Carnival out.

Without a contract, Carnival had no "lock" on that port.

Carnival is not the only game in town....and obviously other cruise lines saw the issues that Carnival was having.

Yes, the ship was sailing at 110% capacity BUT at reduced rates to get those numbers.

Yes, the ship was full BUT if those on the ship are not spending money on the "back end" (once they get on the ship)....no cruise line is going to want them.

And we won't even talk about the percentage of passengers removing their tips at this port. (second only to the Destiny at the time or so I have been told)

But the biggest point that no one wants to talk about is the fact that the "powers that be" in Mobile had no idea how to manage this kind of business.

Because if they did, they would have never bought the port from the Alabama Retirement System for over 18 million dollars....with no long term contract with Carnival.

Carnival had no "power" over that decision.

Mobile did not have to do that at all.

Mobile made that little move all on their own....and it was a perfect example of someone who does not have a clue what they are doing.

Carnival honored their commitment and gave it 7 YEARS.....

Mobile blew it financially ... period.

So while I would cruise out of there if Carnival came back....for pete's sake, I hope the people of Mobile have learned their lesson and put some responsible leadership in place to manage it properly.

Because Mobile has NO ONE but themselves to blame for the mess they got themselves into last time...no matter how many people wanted to blame Carnival.

I hope Carnival comes back to Mobile. My family and I sailed out of Mobile many times ande loved it. It's the only port I would consider as it's much closer to home. I was puzzeled me why Carnival left. I think every cruise was completely booked. I hope Carnival beats Norweigen and Royal Carribean to the punch.

I would cruise out of Mobile because of its location, an hour from my home. I am probably not the kind of person that Carnival hopes to fill its cabins with. I go for quantity over quality when it comes to short Fantasy class cruises like Mobile. I like a cheap cruise, I don't drink alcohol, and I don't spend a lot of money on board. That said, I always leave my tips in place, but perhaps Mobile drew too many people like me, or worse.

I have seen many cruises out of Mobile where with the advertised prices I thought to myself, you could eat that much food in 5 days...what a deal.

I got an email survey today which seemed to target whether or not I would sail out of Mobile, AL; and if so, why would I chose Mobile over New Orleans. Makes me wonder what wheels are turning at the Carnival offices. Anyone else?

I never get emails from Carnival.

We sailed out of Mobile once and it was great (on the Holiday)

We live in Atlanta so it is about 2 hours closer than Tampa and Port Canaveral.

I have to disagree that Carnival had all the power.

If Mobile was such a fabulous port, without a contract .... NCL or RCCL or any other cruise line could have come in there and knocked Carnival out.

Without a contract, Carnival had no "lock" on that port.

Carnival is not the only game in town....and obviously other cruise lines saw the issues that Carnival was having.

Yes, the ship was sailing at 110% capacity BUT at reduced rates to get those numbers.

Yes, the ship was full BUT if those on the ship are not spending money on the "back end" (once they get on the ship)....no cruise line is going to want them.

And we won't even talk about the percentage of passengers removing their tips at this port. (second only to the Destiny at the time or so I have been told)

But the biggest point that no one wants to talk about is the fact that the "powers that be" in Mobile had no idea how to manage this kind of business.

Because if they did, they would have never bought the port from the Alabama Retirement System for over 18 million dollars....with no long term contract with Carnival.

Carnival had no "power" over that decision.

Mobile did not have to do that at all.

Mobile made that little move all on their own....and it was a perfect example of someone who does not have a clue what they are doing.

Carnival honored their commitment and gave it 7 YEARS.....

Mobile blew it financially ... period.

So while I would cruise out of there if Carnival came back....for pete's sake, I hope the people of Mobile have learned their lesson and put some responsible leadership in place to manage it properly.

Because Mobile has NO ONE but themselves to blame for the mess they got themselves into last time...no matter how many people wanted to blame Carnival.

LHP,

One point and one question.

Point to be made is that the one you quoted stated Carnival HAS all the power. I believe he means at this point in time about coming back to Mobile, as opposed to HAD all the power prior to the pull out.

All your points to the HAD part are spot on for what I was able to find out when they pulled out and since. Many other external issues effected that decision as well.

Question: I read somewhere (?) That the City of Mobile actually had the terminal built and the Ala. Retirement funded the deal. So that in my mind all they really did was "refinance" that debt.

I am not saying this is true. I am asking if this is the case based on a previous story.

I have cruised out of mobile 3 times and never had a problem with parking or a hotel Im not looking for things to do in or around Mobile i drive in the day befor the cruise is my vacation . I would like to see more 7 day cruise this time maybe even longer a couple times a year like to the southern carribean .I would be nice if mobile could get southwast airlines in there i think it would open up the client base. Maybe a non stop from Nashville to mobile i hate the 8 hr drive home but i will do it if i have to .. since new orleans will be getting the sunshine maybe they will send the elation back to mobile .. Oh well those are my hopes lets wait and see

I'm in Nashville area also (Hermitage) and completely agree with your comments. I really wished that Southwest would go into Mobile; that would really open up Mobile for tons more cruisers. Plus, the distance would make it one of those trips that we (mid-TN area) could probably find cheaper quick fares with SWA. :)

A couple of years ago, a friend and I decided we were going to give this cruise thing a try. We wanted to do it as inexpensively as possible so that if we didn't like it, at least we wouldn't be out a ton of money. So, we looked at where we could drive to avoid flight costs. Mobile it was.

We booked our cruise. We DIDN'T realize the Sat. we were to leave was the first night of Mardi Gras in Mobile! Never crossed our mind to check out what other "big events" might be going on that would affect our cruise.

Hotels? Well, all the ones downtown near the port were booked. Nothing really close, especially not those with park 'n cruise packages. We finally looked across the bay at Spanish Fort and Daphne--beautiful areas. I'm going to reveal our secret now :eek:--we found the 2 yr old, at that time Feb. 2010, Hilton Garden Inn in Spanish Fort. They were fabulous! With my friend's husband being retired military, we got the military discount, plus they had a full free hot breakfast buffet. We asked about any shuttles to the port which none of the hotels across the bay had. Well, the General Manager himself called us and told us we were more than welcome to leave our vehicle parked there while we cruised (for free) and he would have someone drive us to the port and pick us up when we returned!

When we arrived the day before our cruise, we were so very pleased with how clean and beautiful the hotel was and how friendly and helpful everyone was. The GM happened to be there when we checked in, gave us his card, and said when we got ready to go to the port just give him a call. Next morning, the GM himself drove us to the port! When we returned, we called as soon as we got through customs and he was there to pick us up in about 15 minutes! We tried to pay him but he would not take any money, even for gas.

So, we have nothing but fond memories of the gracious Southern Hospitality shown to us the entire time we were in Mobile & Spanish Fort. The cruise terminal folks were just a friendly and helpful.

Cruise from Mobile again? In a heartbeat. :)

On all three cruises i stayed at the ashburry suites hotel its ok clean and a comfy bed is all i need .on my first cruise i drove over to the port and parked the car wich was ok but a lot of hurry up and wait .the second and third time the hotel offered free parking for the 5 days and 7 days on the third cruise they also had a free breakfest buffet .the cab ride back and forth with tip cost almost as much to park but no hassel of parking and waiting on side streets if the ship is delayed for any reason. Cabs get priority when they get to port they dont have to wiat in line with everyone trying to park .if there is a delay they drop you off and you wait to board .. Agin mobile for me is a get on and off port not looking to stay and do tuoristy stuff

For those who did not receive the survey, here is the link. Anyone can take it. Who knows---it might actually help get us a ship back in Mobile! You never know.....

http://carnival.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...=15208248&m=bm

This link did not work. I would love to take the survey.

I was very upset when Carnival left Mobile as I was just starting to plan my wedding on one of the sips.

We both have big families in south MS and wanted as many to come as possible without the need to sail with us. (As it is we have 61 total for the wedding and 21 are sailing.)

The Mobile terminal is in the downtown area, however, the traffic is way more manageable than in NOLA. Also as someone else said, NO always seems to have a festival going on that causes more traffic and booked parking lots and hotels. Mobile may not have as many (tourist)attractions as NO but we can go to either city for a weekend when ever we want so I don’t see that as part of a vacation.

Okay, the other link I posted would not work, even though I had used it earlier. I just got this one off the NBC/Mobile website and it took me to the main survey screen, but says I've already taken the survey, which I have. So, obviously you can only take it once per computer?

Sorry for the earlier bad link, but see if this will work (from the NBC site).

http://carnival.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5goGFrOoLm1E7cN&mrd=15208248&m=bm

If mobile should get a ship back the officials should look into starting a charter bus service and hotel stay from either new orleans and pensacola airports .. Fly in the day befor stay at a hotel they can work a good deal pick up passenger in the morning drive them to port drop off and pick up disembarking passengers and drop them off at the airport or hotel.just a thought

Okay, the other link I posted would not work, even though I had used it earlier. I just got this one off the NBC/Mobile website and it took me to the main survey screen, but says I've already taken the survey, which I have. So, obviously you can only take it once per computer?

http://carnival.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_5goGFrOoLm1E7cN&mrd=15208248&m=bm

I answered all questions about wanting Mobile back!

LHP,

Question: I read somewhere (?) That the City of Mobile actually had the terminal built and the Ala. Retirement funded the deal. So that in my mind all they really did was "refinance" that debt.

I am not saying this is true. I am asking if this is the case based on a previous story.

Retirement Systems of Alabama financed and built the terminal in a profit sharing arrangement with the city. Mobile was to eventually buy the terminal out right from RSA. I believe that the city floated some bonds and did exactly that, right about the same time that they upgraded to the new gangway, which they had to get to fit Fantasy class and above, ships. The new gangway itself was about 2-3 million dollars. If you have family or friends getting married, recommend the Mobile terminal for the occasion. I hear it's a great wedding chapel with a helluva view of the riverfront! :)

Can anyone show previous itineraries that were offered from Mobile? I have seen several ports mentioned but not any itineraries although I would guess that IF Carnival comes back to Mobile they might offer something different. We would love to see this as a great way to get an inexpensive cruise within driving distance.

4 day: Mobile, Sea day, Cozumel, Sea day, Mobile

5 day: Mobile, Sea day, Cozumel, Progresso, Sea day, Mobile

5 day: Mobile, Sea day, Cozumel, Calica (Playa del Carmen), Sea day, Mobile

I understand that near the end they tried a couple of 7 day; I believe they were the same as out of NOLA - Grand Cayman, Ochi or MoBay, Cozumel.

There may have also been an Eastern route with Key West and Nassau or Freeport.

2Ports has the correct 4 and 5 day itineraries.

I found an old Carnival booklet from 2009. It had a 7 day out of Mobile with the following itinerary: Mobile, Fun Day at Sea, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, fun day at sea, Mobile.

New Orleans had two 7 days itineraries on the Triumph. 7 day Exotic Western Caribbean: New Orleans, fun day at sea, Belize, Isla Roatan, Cozumel, fun day at sea and New Orleans. 7 day Eastern Caribbean: New Orleans, fun day at sea, Key West, Freeport, Nassau, fun day at sea, New Orleans.

Originally Posted by Tennessee Rose viewpost.gif

http://carnival.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...=15208248&m=bm

i did one of the seven day cruises out of mobile and it was great we did cozumel grand caymen and Ocho Rios ,, they started to offer cozumel balize and roaton hunduras befor they pulled out of the port i realy wanted to that one

Archived