Airsick On Float Planes?

hcf

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAD TAKEN FLOAT PLANES FOR FLIGHTSEEING, WHAT IS THE POTENTIAL OF GETTING AIRSICK?

ALSO HAS ANYONE GONE FROM THE JUNEAU CRUISE DOCK TO THE AIRPORT TO GET ON THE FLOAT PLANE? WHAT'S THE BEST WAY OF GETTING THERE? :confused:

I've seen sick passengers on EVERY type of aircraft. If prone to motion sickness, take precautions. You are asking a question that can't be answered.

Doesn't the flight operator out of Juneau offer a shuttle??? If not you will need a cab- about $20 each way. There is also the city bus, but plenty more time is needed for the transfer.

I haven't any personal experience, but I do have a friend on the Sun now and she sent a message that she did the Misty Fjords float plane and that she did get sick. I guess it would be best to plan for the worst by taking some motion sickness meds beforehand.

Best way to get there ? Simply go to the cab stand ON the dock and he'll take you right to the terminal.

The cost ? I forget. I don't think it was more than $20.00 incl tip. On the way back from the airport take a bus from right in front to any corner in Juneau for around$2.00 and u'll justify the cab.

My DW and I flew 1st time in a float plane w/no problem as long as u're pilot is NOT some kind of jock which I don't think any of them are.

We flew to Admirality Is. w/the pilot/guide, u'll like Alaska from the low altitude, can see and learn alot. You most likely will see all the whales in their pods from the air in Juneau harbor.

Getting back to the sickness, those guys r very careful about the weather/winds so u shud hav no problem being tossed around, there's no jet stream at 3000 ft.

Hav a good one,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

You know it's not like being on a boat. I am afraid the plane dips might scare me and also make me sick. I don't get sick on a boat and I have been on one through a storm where everyone else was sick. However, when I am on a plane with too much turbulance I get scared and sick and the medication doesl not work for me.

Basically, I don't like the roller coaster feeling. So is it like a boat or roller coaster?

The trip looks wonderful and I would hate to miss it but I want to be able to enjoy it.

Hi,

I posted on the other thread also.

I did a float plane out of Ketchikan last week. I have never been air sick or sea sick in my life and on the float plane out of Ketchikan - I felt very queesy for the first half of the trip and I couldn't wait to land. None of us threw up on our flight but the people getting off the flight before us had a few people who did. When we landed, I asked the others how they felt and they all said they were queesy also.

If you are prone to this - I would definitely skip this. The day we went - there wasn't much wind at all. Not an expert in flying by any means but the Pilot seemed to be a good pilot. Our plane was a 6 passenger Beaver.

Theresa

If you are SCARED, your chances of getting sick have gone way up. The mind can do wonderful good and bad things depending on which way it is going.

I get seasick often, but almost never airsick. I do get sick on trains, buses, long van rides, etc. Did NOT get even a little sick on the plane trip out of Ketchikan. It helps that Michelle landed on the lake and let us OUT of the PLANE onto land for a minute. Fresh air helps. We also have learned to take those little cracker snack packs whenever we travel. they always take the edge off.

It is NOT a roller coaster ride but the movements are a bit more than a ship,since a ship does not LEAN or BANK when making turns or landing. We found it exciting.

Again, if you know you will be scared, think twice. Then again, by wife was thinking about not going as we boarded the plane but really LOVED it once we got going. Slight fear, but not scared.

Frankly- if you are at the VERY least prone to motion sickness or even thinking about if happening to you, TAKE PRECAUTIONS.

This is an excellent tour experience and will be absolutely horrible if you get sick with thinking nothing except getting off the plane. No way to predict.

Instead of skipping you could take Bonine or dramamine..???? I get seasick easily (inner ear) and take it all thru the cruise but has also helped with rocky floatplanes:)

I'm not familiar with Bonine? Is it an over the counter drug? Does it make you drowsy like dramamine can?

We also went last year with Michelle...................I did feel airsick......was not a good feeling..........when we landed 1/2 way on the lake,I really did not want to get back in...........

Dont get me wrong,Michelle was an excellent pilot.........and I did feel better when I moved from the back seat up front closer with the air blowing on me..........

I think the banking of the plane to see the goats on the cliffs really did me in..................

It was beautiful but not for me............

In regards to Bonine, it would try starting it a few days before your trip and letting your body adjust to it. It made me a little sleepy and kind of lethargic the first couple of days, but then I was back to normal. You could also try halving the tablet if it makes you to sleepy.

The medicine is called "Meclizine" and I heard you can get it from the pharmacist (without a prescription) from WalMart and someone said they got a 100ct bottle at Sams.

Liza123

Thank you all for your information. I am leaving tomorrow (5/30) on the NCL Dream to Alaska. To combat the potential seasickness (and airsickness), I am bringing meclizine, seabands, Transderm-Scop patches, AND Reliefbands! If one doesn't work, I've got back-up options.

As you can see, I get paranoid about seasickness. ;)

Archived