Suite Dining Options

GrandCanyon2005

What are the Suite dining options on Sapphire Princess? Special meals, meals with captain, chef's dining, etc ... and what do they cost/entail? I think we are going to do a balcony dinner with our kids as we leave Glacier Bay, but we don't drink alcohol ... but still think it will be worth the cost.

What are the Suite dining options on Sapphire Princess? Special meals, meals with captain, chef's dining, etc ... and what do they cost/entail? I think we are going to do a balcony dinner with our kids as we leave Glacier Bay, but we don't drink alcohol ... but still think it will be worth the cost.
In a suite you can order off the Dining Room menu (should be provided in your suite) for lunch and dinner. It is all delivered at once like hotel room service rather than the course by course experience of the UBD. You can also order Afternoon Tea in your cabin. Only cost for any of the above would be any gratuity you feel appropriate for the Room Service staff (tip in cash so they get to keep the entire tip). For Breakfast, suite passengers (but no guests) can eat at Sabatini's. No meals with the Captain, unless you are one of the 40 most travelled passengers. Suite passengers now have priority for reservations for the Chef's Table which may be held several times per cruise at a cost of $95. The price includes wine but they might reduce the price about $15 without wine. The Chef's Table includes a Galley Tour with the Chef and Maitre 'd with various appetizers and Champagne and then to the Dining Room for a more extensive dinner than the UBD. You also get one or more photos, a Princess cookbook and a flower for the ladies.

Our kids are staying in a different non-suite cabin ... since they're our kids, will they be able to eat in Sabatini's with us?

Not usually. The greeters at Sabatini's have a list of suite occupants and usually deny entrance to those not actually in a suite.

In a suite you can order off the Dining Room menu (should be provided in your suite) for lunch and dinner. ...For Breakfast, suite passengers (but no guests) can eat at Sabatini's.

Breakfast from the dining room menu is also available for those in a suite.

Suite occupants can also have room service breakfast on disembarkation day while those not in suites cannot have room servce breakfast that day.

Our kids are staying in a different non-suite cabin ... since they're our kids, will they be able to eat in Sabatini's with us?
If they are young children, there shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, only those booked into a full suite have this perk as it's not open to non-(full)suite passengers.

If they are young children, there shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, only those booked into a full suite have this perk as it's not open to non-(full)suite passengers.

I wouldn't put my small children in a different cabin. I have found them to be very strict about not being able to bring in anyone not even other family members.

I wouldn't put my small children in a different cabin. I have found them to be very strict about not being able to bring in anyone not even other family members.
I agree. But if they are minors, they are not necessarily too young to be in a cabin by themselves.

In a suite you can order off the Dining Room menu (should be provided in your suite) for lunch and dinner. It is all delivered at once like hotel room service rather than the course by course experience of the UBD. You can also order Afternoon Tea in your cabin. Only cost for any of the above would be any gratuity you feel appropriate for the Room Service staff (tip in cash so they get to keep the entire tip). For Breakfast, suite passengers (but no guests) can eat at Sabatini's. No meals with the Captain, unless you are one of the 40 most travelled passengers. Suite passengers now have priority for reservations for the Chef's Table which may be held several times per cruise at a cost of $95. The price includes wine but they might reduce the price about $15 without wine. The Chef's Table includes a Galley Tour with the Chef and Maitre 'd with various appetizers and Champagne and then to the Dining Room for a more extensive dinner than the UBD. You also get one or more photos, a Princess cookbook and a flower for the ladies.

Do happen to know if immediate family (parents) staying in a non-suite cabin can join you in your suite for dinner and be allowed to order from the extended menu as well? If not its hard to believe half of the family would ever utilize the room service benefit and leave the rest to eat alone.

Just curious?

Do happen to know if immediate family (parents) staying in a non-suite cabin can join you in your suite for dinner and be allowed to order from the extended menu as well? If not its hard to believe half of the family would ever utilize the room service benefit and leave the rest to eat alone.

Just curious?

I have seen posts including photos where people have ordered enough food for others (family/friends) not in the suite. I would tip room service well for bringing the additional food. That is not an option for Breakfast at Sabatini's as they have a list of suite passengers and limit admittance to that list.

We are on the Sapphire, C752 ... I think that's a full suite, but not sure. Our kids are 22 and 20 ... so not minors--most of the time; lol ... and they will be staying around the corner from us in a regular Balcony Cabin. BUT if they won't be able to join us for special meals (like breakfast in Sabatini's), then we will have to rethink Princess vs. NCL. Right now I have a deposit down for both ships until I work out all the pros/cons of the two. I have until next year to decide, as our trip is not until July 2013. So far, I've heard on both Princess and NCL sites that Suite perks are a little better on NCL, and regular cabins are better on Princess. So right now we're kinda leaning toward NCL. Is there anysuch thing as receiving written permission that our kids could join us for all the Suite ammenities? At first we were all staying in C752, but then put them in a separate cabin ... so Princess would be receiving more money than if we were all crammed into the Suite ...

We are on the Sapphire, C752 ... I think that's a full suite, but not sure. Our kids are 22 and 20 ... so not minors--most of the time; lol ... and they will be staying around the corner from us in a regular Balcony Cabin. BUT if they won't be able to join us for special meals (like breakfast in Sabatini's), then we will have to rethink Princess vs. NCL. Right now I have a deposit down for both ships until I work out all the pros/cons of the two. I have until next year to decide, as our trip is not until July 2013. So far, I've heard on both Princess and NCL sites that Suite perks are a little better on NCL, and regular cabins are better on Princess. So right now we're kinda leaning toward NCL. Is there anysuch thing as receiving written permission that our kids could join us for all the Suite ammenities? At first we were all staying in C752, but then put them in a separate cabin ... so Princess would be receiving more money than if we were all crammed into the Suite ...
You are in a full suite. I am unfamiliar with NCL. Perhaps others could tell you if you can share NCL suite perks with family members not in suites.

The only special meal they cannot join you for is breakfast in Sabatini's.

They can join you for any special meal or afternoon tea in your suite.

Suite benefits such as free laundry, free nightly canapes, complimentary mini-bar setup, in cabin DVD player, upgraded mattresses, complementary cover charge for a specialty restaurant 1st evening (they can join you, you just have to pay for them), shoe polishing, etc. are intended for those in a suite, not for relatives or friends who are not in a suite.

I have seen posts including photos where people have ordered enough food for others (family/friends) not in the suite. I would tip room service well for bringing the additional food. That is not an option for Breakfast at Sabatini's as they have a list of suite passengers and limit admittance to that list.

The photos I have seen have been of the UBD which is $50 extra per person extra. You can invite as many people as you want to that.

Maybe your kids would prefer to sleep in - not all kids enjoy Sabatinis and if you have a port intense cruise, we don't have time for a log breakfast - it is more like eat and run.

I have sailed in a suite on NCL. They DO NOT allow anyone not in a suite to have breakfast in Cagney's. Suite passengers have lunch & breakfast there but may not bring guests even if they are your children, parents, etc. NCL is not relaxing. Constant announcements about bingo, jewelry sales, loud music blaring everywhere. I enjoyed the suite perks but would never sail on NCL again.

I agree. But if they are minors, they are not necessarily too young to be in a cabin by themselves.

Hi, Pam. I wanted to post this question for you. I have always respected your informative and honest responses to questions. My DH and I will be cruising in Scandanavia in a full suite and plan to take advantage of ordering room service with the main dining room menu. Do you tip the steward when he brings your meals or wait and tip him at the end of the cruise? I know that the crew really depends on their tips and want to make sure I'm doing what is correct.

Thanks!

My DH and I will be cruising in Scandanavia in a full suite and plan to take advantage of ordering room service with the main dining room menu. Do you tip the steward when he brings your meals or wait and tip him at the end of the cruise?

Your cabin steward will not be the one bringing the meals.

Seems a litle harsh of a decision to base your selection on the fact your adult children won't be able to eat breakfast with you.....

Just my thoughts.....

Bob

Apparently the rules vary by cruise line, but if you tip the person delivering a room service order does Princess allow them to keep that tip and not add it to the tip pool?

There may be problems with this idea but if there are, others will undoubtedly point them out. How about adding one of your children to your suite and paying single occupancy for the other? This may cost a bit more but you'll have suite benefits for 3 so you can take 3 to Sabatini's breakfast, do laundry for 3, and have unlimited Internet for 3 (as long as your reservation was before July 15). Of course, both of your children can sleep in the second cabin. Third person rates are pretty reasonable and the cost may offest the benefits.

Your children sound old enough to understand that you get what you pay for. You could explain the situation to them and let them know how much more they themselves could pay if they wanted the Suite perks. I suspect I know what they would choose....

Archived