Frustrated with RCI online reservations

we booked our 3/25/06 cruise on the LOS online with RCI as soon as we got off our last cruise in September. At that time it was too early to add the air arrangements so I went online last week and it wouldn't let me so I called and had an agent do it for me. Now I cant even access my reservation to look at it - let alone change anything which is why I like to book online in the first place.

When I called they told me that since it has been altered by human hands, it can no longer be accessed online. If I want to add excursions I can go here - if I want to fill out boarding documents I can go there - but if I want to look at room changes, make a payment or anything else I have to call.

UGGGGHHHHH what is the point of having an online reservation system if you can't access it?

Had to vent - sorry.

Michelle

LOS - 3/25/06

NOS - 9/11/04

Once you let at TA do anything for you they are the agent on record with RCCL. If you want control back, you can cancel your cruise and rebook, or ask the TA that helped you to release your booking back to RCCL. I had problems with an online TA and had the same problems. If discounts are no longer being given then it makes sense to book directly with RCCL. I just typed that, when it is no longer a cruise that suits my fancy I am on another line because they no longer offer discounts with TAs that are willing to cut their commissions. I look at it as supply and demand, if they can't supply the ports that I want I will change lines. If they force me to chose between loyalty or the cost of a cruise they will lose my business. I haven't cruised another line, but have talked to tons of people, my clients, that have. I would rather let the TA's choose what they are willing to sell the product for instead of a monopoly where RCCL dictates the price.

I believe you can still make private deals with travel agents; they just can't advertise a price that is not the official price. What you work out in person or on the phone is a private matter.

I disagree with your feeling about booking direct with the cruise line if travel agents can't offer you a better price. If you have a travel agent you work with and trust, why not give that person your business? This person is then YOUR advocate if you need changes made or need assistance or have post-cruise grievences. If the price is the same, why not have the advantages of a local nearby travel agent backing you up for basically FREE?

Royal Caribbean and Carnival have gone to fixed pricing because they CAN. It's their inventory, they can set the price and since legally travel "agents" are their "agents", they can control the price charged. They are trying to keep the thousands of smaller travel agencies in business. If smaller agencies were driven out of business, the mega-online agencies could dictate terms to the cruise lines instead of the other way around. Look for other cruise lines to follow similar rules, in my opinion.

BobK/Orlando

SEA PRINCESS MAY 2005 yeah baby!

we booked our 3/25/06 cruise on the LOS online with RCI as soon as we got off our last cruise in September. At that time it was too early to add the air arrangements so I went online last week and it wouldn't let me so I called and had an agent do it for me. Now I cant even access my reservation to look at it - let alone change anything which is why I like to book online in the first place.

When I called they told me that since it has been altered by human hands, it can no longer be accessed online. If I want to add excursions I can go here - if I want to fill out boarding documents I can go there - but if I want to look at room changes, make a payment or anything else I have to call.

UGGGGHHHHH what is the point of having an online reservation system if you can't access it?

Had to vent - sorry.

Michelle

LOS - 3/25/06

NOS - 9/11/04

Michelle - Have you looked into doing the air arrangements on your own? You might find they are a lot cheaper and you have complete control over which flights you take.

Just a suggestion.

Michelle

I disagree with your feeling about booking direct with the cruise line if travel agents can't offer you a better price. If you have a travel agent you work with and trust, why not give that person your business? This person is then YOUR advocate if you need changes made or need assistance or have post-cruise grievences. If the price is the same, why not have the advantages of a local nearby travel agent backing you up for basically FREE?

SEA PRINCESS MAY 2005 yeah baby!

Excactly! And it works the other way around too. Why go to a TA who does nothing because you have researched the cruise you want. You have booked it and handed to them. And you have to arrange all you own transfers to and from the airport, hotel and ship. Then they charge you an administration fee and in Canada you have to pay GST and PST (Taxes). If our TA would have called after we gave her our two NE/Canada cruises to ask how we enjoyed them we may have offered our group (8) Carib. cruise, 4 person Panama Cruise and our new Carib cruise. With the Internet, we can book the cruise we want, the air arrangements that best suit us and hotels. TA may be an option for some but not longer one for us. JMHO

Michelle - Have you looked into doing the air arrangements on your own? You might find they are a lot cheaper and you have complete control over which flights you take.

Just a suggestion.

Michelle

Actually, I did look into booking air on my own - but flying from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada into Florida is actually more expensive to book myself then with RCCL if you can believe it - and that isn't even considering the cost of the transfers and the BS asasociated with it. At least with booking with RCI they are responsible for getting me there regardless of weather etc. - I like that, because March in Manitoba can be touch and go. They even include one night in a hotel pre-cruise because of the timing of the flights - I can't touch their prices on my own.

It cost me app $2300 CAN for three people and an infant to book with RCI - including one night hotel and all transfers. With Air Canada it would be $2800 for the flights alone and even looking at expedia it is $2400 before transfers and hotel. I know that flying in the states you can shop arouns a lot more but internationally, RCI still has the best deals going.

I have always done all my own travel bookings, I have a problem with TAs making $$$ off of something I can do myself. I understand RCI's price fixing and they are saving a lot of smaller agencies who can't compete with the volume of sales bigger places and online sites can do thus allowing them to slash commissions and have a monopoly. Maybe it is because I am a control freak - but having someone to blame in case something goes wrong isn't as reassuring to me as being able to make sure nothing goes wrong on my own.

Michelle

LOS - 3/25/06

NOS -9/11/04

Had to vent - sorry.

Michelle

LOS - 3/25/06

NOS - 9/11/04

Michelle,

I booked my cruise with an online agency and I can access my reservation on the RCI site........you do have to go to another page and enter your reservation number and some add'l info, but you can see it and fill out your boarding documents, etc.........and for shore excursions, you just go to 'purchase' on that page and enter your reservation number and ship info......

everything is not in one place and there are more steps you have to go through, but you should still be able to have access to your booking....

congrats on the savings on your airfare! at least that's one positive thing that came out of all of this........:)

I would like to book on the Royal Caribbean website, but my problem with booking on RCCL.com is they give you the cr@piest cabin options. You get a much bigger/better selection of cabins at other online sites.

Archived