Alaskan King Crab Legs on Princess ???

GrandCanyon2005

Where do you get the Dungeness Crab - onshore? Ketchikan?:D

Yes the best source is Ketchikan. Princess actually has a shorex there with a seaplane ride to a secluded lodge that features all the Dungeness Crab you can eat. It was a fun outing.

Mike:)

Yes the best source is Ketchikan. Princess actually has a shorex there with a seaplane ride to a secluded lodge that features all the Dungeness Crab you can eat. It was a fun outing.

Thanks Mike, I will be in Ketchikan in late September this year, so I am hoping I will get a chance to try it.:D

Just back from a week in Alaska on the Golden and I can confirm that the crab legs have been replaced by scallops.

I hope you are going to give us the high and low points of your cruise soon.

Just got off the Golden this morning. As reported, there were no king crab legs served this year. In 2009 when we sailed I had the best, sweetest crab legs in the main dining room. I really missed them this year. I did eat at Tracy's crab shack and was mildly disappointed. It just wasn't very sweet.

Also, they did have escargot one night. It was mentioned by the waiter, but not listed on the menu. I don't eat it so I didn't pay much attention to it. I did see people at several tables with them though.

No King Crab legs available on Coral Princess 3 weeks ago. They did serve Maine Lobster. Escargot was available upon request but they did not want to serve them til the end of the cruise for the obvious reason. They were delicious!

Just got off the Golden this morning. As reported, there were no king crab legs served this year. In 2009 when we sailed I had the best, sweetest crab legs in the main dining room. I really missed them this year. I did eat at Tracy's crab shack and was mildly disappointed. It just wasn't very sweet.

Also, they did have escargot one night. It was mentioned by the waiter, but not listed on the menu. I don't eat it so I didn't pay much attention to it. I did see people at several tables with them though.

Sorry to hear that about Tracy's as their food has always been outstanding. Hopefully they were just having an off day.

Good news about the escargot.

Thanks Mike, I will be in Ketchikan in late September this year, so I am hoping I will get a chance to try it.:D

The best dungy crab comes out of Eureka,CA. However, from I what remember (I used to live there) season runs from Nov to maybe june but most of it is caught around Dec, so that its for your fresh stuff. Dungy tastes quite different when fresh, real rich, almost like dark chicken meat. It is loses that trait when frozen.

If anyone is coming out for a cruise around late fall to Sf, I suggest renting a car and driving three hours (beautiful drive) to Eureka,CA for the crab, plus check out the world's tallest trees (the redwoods), a lot of movies (Nome Mobile, Jurassic Park 2, Return of the Jedi, Outbreak, even the the opening scene in "1941") have been filmed there and the old 101 through the redwoods is one of the most beautiful drives in the wold. The coast line is also spectacular.

Believe it or not, a Princess ship once stopped there as a port stop (Pacific Princess?).

Just back from a week in Alaska on the Golden and I can confirm that the crab legs have been replaced by scallops.

Scallops didn't replaced crab legs, they were just moved. They used to be on the last night of the cruise, now they merely moved the day they serve them.

King Crab is probably off the menu (for now) because of the super high price right now. At Costco King Crab is 19.99 a pound. Just a few years ago it was 9.99. With pricing like that' date=' they cant afford to serve it.[/quote']

They are 5 star cruises are they not.:D

The best dungy crab comes out of Eureka,CA. However, from I what remember (I used to live there) season runs from Nov to maybe june but most of it is caught around Dec, so that its for your fresh stuff. Dungy tastes quite different when fresh, real rich, almost like dark chicken meat. It is loses that trait when frozen.

If anyone is coming out for a cruise around late fall to Sf, I suggest renting a car and driving three hours (beautiful drive) to Eureka,CA for the crab, plus check out the world's tallest trees (the redwoods), a lot of movies (Nome Mobile, Jurassic Park 2, Return of the Jedi, Outbreak, even the the opening scene in "1941") have been filmed there and the old 101 through the redwoods is one of the most beautiful drives in the wold. The coast line is also spectacular.

Believe it or not, a Princess ship once stopped there as a port stop (Pacific Princess?).

I have to disagree with this statement. While Eureka is a beautiful place to see, I wouldn't drive there JUST for crab. SF has wonderful crab. If you make the drive, do it for the beauty, if all you want is crab, stay in SF.

I have to disagree with this statement. While Eureka is a beautiful place to see, I wouldn't drive there JUST for crab. SF has wonderful crab. If you make the drive, do it for the beauty, if all you want is crab, stay in SF.

I never said that, I said drive for the beauty and the crab. There are too many unique things to list about Humboldt County, much nicer than than crowded, crappy SF.

I never said that, I said drive for the beauty and the crab. There are too many unique things to list about Humboldt County, much nicer than than crowded, crappy SF.

Ok. Although the way it was worded was that crab was the main reason for going. And since crab was the point, the crab in SF is fabulous which just about anyone in the Bay Area would attest to. And as far as SF being crappy, well it's considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and other then west coasters (mostly Ca residents), nobody is that interested in Eureka or has even heard of it. In fact Humboldt County is known mostly for the growth of herbal medicine & little else. Just saying...

Ok. Although the way it was worded was that crab was the main reason for going. And since crab was the point, the crab in SF is fabulous which just about anyone in the Bay Area would attest to. And as far as SF being crappy, well it's considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and other then west coasters (mostly Ca residents), nobody is that interested in Eureka or has even heard of it. In fact Humboldt County is known mostly for the growth of herbal medicine & little else. Just saying...

Now, now, lets not all get crabby with each other. :p

Next time in Juneau I am getting one of her shirts that says,

"Tracy gave me the crabs"

Well, she certainly doesn't give them away but how many times can I go to Juneau?

Thanks for the tip, Lucky as I thought Traceys was in Ketchikan, and not Juneau.:D

Thanks for the tip, Lucky as I thought Traceys was in Ketchikan, and not Juneau.:D

Tracy's King Crab-Juneau

The Dungeness Crab shorex (at least two different ones) is in Ketchikan.

Both terrific in their own right.

Tracy's King Crab-Juneau

The Dungeness Crab shorex (at least two different ones) is in Ketchikan.

Both terrific in their own right.

Thanks Mike, now I remember. I am writing these things down now so I will be able to get it right when I am there next month.:D

Archived