Punta Langosta Pier

tfiga

Trying to shave costs off the budget for my upcoming cruise. Apparently our ship uses the Punta Langosta Pier (Disney Wonder). Is there anything to do around the pier? Hoping there are other options than booking a $350 -$400 excursion through Disney. Also is it safe to walk around the pier area? It would be My husband, myself and 2 sons 13 and 11. My family has no interest in going to a beach and all other excursions are really expensive.

TIA

Grab a cab and hit one of the beaches. We have been to several and have not found a bad one yet. Paradise, San Fransico, Playa Palancar, Money Bar. If you want to spend a little, a trip to Chankanaab Park is good. They charge an entry fee but there is plenty to do. We have been to Coz ten times and always find something different to do. It is a very easy port to do on your own.

I'd say you are lucky to be docked at Punta Langosta (we did as well when we sailed DCL). It's right smack in the middle of town. Pleanty of places to eat, shop, people watch. There are also a lot of tours right at the pier if you decide you want to try some. Snorkeling, sailing, beaches, island tours, etc. You will love the location of the pier. Most ships dock to the south at the other two piers and have to take a taxi to/from town. Count yourself lucky!!

San Miguel is a safe and fun town to wander around in.

My husband and I played right there in the water and had fish swimming all around us last year. Tables and hammocks are available along with the Senor Frogs. i would wear water shoes though it is a little rocky. We are planning on being right there in September and we are going to Margaritaville because they have water toys that i understand is free to go an enjoy.

If you exit that pier and go to the right is the other pier where food and shopping is available. The mexican restraunt on that pier is excellent. Just a 5 minute walk between the 2 piers.

Best pier to dock. If you go back off the main street a block there is a lot less people traffic. When you get to the square you can get cheap cold beer. There are several restaurants there as well. Casa Denis is an old family run place a block back. Mention their web site, get a free mararita.

Small, kind of dumpy place right on the south side of the square has outside tables and good food. If you are walking by it they may give you a coupon and when you return use it!

The back streets are a bit more sedate. I've never felt unsafe there and have been there numerous times.

• 1 month later...

If you are interested in seeing the small ruins on Cozumel, you can 'rent' a taxi to bring you there and back. I think the going rate for taxi is around $45 round trip, then I THINK it is $8pp to get in, and another charge if you want a guide. It does add up, but it is also an arm and a leg cheaper than Disney.

We are going on the Wonder in February with a stop at Cozumel, so I've done lots and lots of looking into how to DIY this port.

If you google Cozumel Taxi rates, you should be able to find listings for how much the standard taxi fares are. They may be a few dollars different for the pier that Disney docks. Here is an example.

If you are interested in seeing the small ruins on Cozumel, you can 'rent' a taxi to bring you there and back. I think the going rate for taxi is around $45 round trip, then I THINK it is $8pp to get in, and another charge if you want a guide. It does add up, but it is also an arm and a leg cheaper than Disney.

We are going on the Wonder in February with a stop at Cozumel, so I've done lots and lots of looking into how to DIY this port.

If you google Cozumel Taxi rates, you should be able to find listings for how much the standard taxi fares are. They may be a few dollars different for the pier that Disney docks. Here is an example.

Hey Red,

Here are a couple of sites to checkout. Both are great.

www.cozumelmycozumel.com and www.cozumelinsider.com.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going in Jan. and are afraid it will be a little to cool for swimming, so we are trying to find reasonable price options for the day.

Are you interested in Photography at all? This tour combines a walking tour and photography:

http://cozumelphototour.blogspot.com/

which also provides an interesting link to a blog report from someone who took the tour. My husband and I enjoyed this tour in June and it finished at the main square. It is suitable for beginners, or more advanced, although the extent would depend on how many people were actually on the tour at any one time. In our case there were just the two of us and we were able to set our own pace. The tour includes a brief visit to the museum. I don't know if it would be possible to change the route slightly but I would ask if you could finish at the museum so that you could continue there at your leisure if you were interested in looking round further, or perhaps you could negotiate to return after the tour finishes.

Another free walking tour is described at http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruisesOnYourOwnWalkingTour.htm

I also found http://www.trekexchange.com/tours/128 but didn't download it myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going in Jan. and are afraid it will be a little to cool for swimming, so we are trying to find reasonable price options for the day.

Cozumel is warm year 'round and the water is at a constant 80+ degrees. We haven't been in January but have been in December many times and it is hot and the water very comfortable for swimming and diving. There are cooking classes that are fun for the entire family, some involve cooking meals and cocktail making and some include dance classes also. I know you mention no desire to go to a beach but Paradise Beach is inexpensive and lots to do especially for kids.(family of 4 for under $100- no entry fee, just food, drinks and small AI activity fee if you choose) Google their website and see all the activities - pool, beach and otherwise. Cozumel is pretty much Beach/water-oriented in all excursions. It seems almost everything starts or ends with a water activity. There are plenty of AI resorts to visit with different activities for all family members (including the cooking classes- alot of the classes are at resorts). Your family might enjoy doing the Amazing Race type activity on Cozumel... and nothing beats a couples massage by the sea ;) Have a great time!

Archived