Tai Chi on the Veendam

Floridiana

We've been on the Statendam's Panama Canal cruise where I enjoyed the free Tai Chi classes given by one of the cruise director's staff. We are now considering a cruise around South America on the Veendam and I wonder whether Tai Chi will be offered there. (Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale in 2013)

We also had an excellent naturalist, Chris Fisher. Can we expect him (lucky us!) or another good speaker to be on board?

The Statendam had a nice pooldeck on the back deck. Somehow I can't find it on the Veendam. :-( The main pool had a subtractable roof. Is this the same on the Veendam?

The only negative I can remember was the really bland food. There was nothing wrong with its basic quality except the lack of spices.

I hope someone can comment on some of these points.

The Statendam had a nice pooldeck on the back deck. Somehow I can't find it on the Veendam. :-(

That's because the aft pool isn't there anymore on the Veendam. :( It was removed; cabins were placed in that area. The outside deck was moved up to Lido Deck level, where there are now a variety of hot tubs.

The main pool had a subtractable roof. Is this the same on the Veendam?

Yes, the Veendam does have the Lido pool under the retractable roof, the same as you remember on the Statendam. It can be more crowded there now, as it's the only pool.

Thank you Ruth for taking the time to answer.

I was going through HAL's website to find answers for my other questions. The website does mention speakers. No Tai Chi found but other exercise classes. Unfortunately they do not say whether they are free. Does anyone know?

In my research for the Veendam to Bermuda, I have Tai Chi listed daily at 8am and 5pm. Seeing your post reminded me. I had looked this up for my friend who is taking my same cruise 1 week prior and she likes yoga etc.

Me, I like eating etc!:D

Excellent news about Tai Chi!

Irisheileen, were those yoga classes free? I saw somebody participating in a yoga class for beginners (not free) on one of the ships. It was definitely not a beginner's class nor was it appropriate for my age. I saw the very young instructor help a lady get into a brezel position.

Now about food! This is my first passion. :-) I found it so bland on the Statendam that I really don't want that chef again. What is your take on the Veendam's food?

We cruised South America on the Veendam in February 2011. We were satisfied with the food. Holland America has a reputation for being conservative with their spices.

Tai Chi was offered two times per day next to the Slice in the Retreat area. It was not a perfect setting in the hot sun with cigarette smoke.

No naturalist, we had travel guide Spencer.

Excellent news about Tai Chi!

Irisheileen, were those yoga classes free? I saw somebody participating in a yoga class for beginners (not free) on one of the ships. It was definitely not a beginner's class nor was it appropriate for my age. I saw the very young instructor help a lady get into a brezel position.

Now about food! This is my first passion. :-) I found it so bland on the Statendam that I really don't want that chef again. What is your take on the Veendam's food?

I have not sailed yet...August 12 I sail! Yahoo! Also hoping the food will be good. I think it will be. For the first time we are going to the Pinnacle for dinner the first night.

Here is where I got the information from another CCer:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1662629

Archived