Solo female in Hawaii and POA

sunshineRN48

Hi everyone, my daughter is not going to be able to go with me on our planned trip in the Spring. I would like to go alone, but having some second thoughts now.

I'm not sure how much fun it would be to see all the attractions in Honolulu by myself, as well as safety issue as a lone female walking around. I also have thought bout flying to Maui for a few days, and same issues are there..safety as a solo female, and how to sightsee on my own.

I'm also looking into the POA cruise, and concerned about having fun on it as a solo female, and what to do about excursions at the ports on my own..

any tips/ideas? Thanks!!!

It is true it's so much better to travel and tour with a companion. But if you won't always get a companion, only you know best whether you still enjoy solo travelling and sightseeing.

Safety in Hawaii is usually not a concern. It is still in the USA, and in relatively good tourisy places. There is so much to see and do, most solo travellers still have a really good time.

But a lot still comes down to you own interests and preferences.

POA is fine by yourself. It's all freestyle dining, so you would be sitting by yourself not shoved in with people you don't know.

I would suggest booking the cruise, then hopping on the NCL Roll Call board and making friends with others on that particular trip...

I have to agree with the other posters - Hawaii is as safe as any other state.

I also agree to look at the roll call and you can do ship excursions instead of driving around yourself.

On my last cruise to the islands there was a lady who was on most of our excursions and she informed us that she was 78 and had always wanted to see the islands. She had lost her husband a few years before and decided to would go solo. She enjoyed every minute of it and made friends everywhere she went.

I'm ok with dining by myself some, but the free style dining on POA is a bit of a concern for me. Is it the normal for solo's to dine alone, or is it possible to dine with others at a larger table? I wouldn't want to intrude on a couple's table if not welcome.

I'm ok with dining by myself some, but the free style dining on POA is a bit of a concern for me. Is it the normal for solo's to dine alone, or is it possible to dine with others at a larger table? I wouldn't want to intrude on a couple's table if not welcome.

No...you have a choice. I would much rather be with other people while dining also. They will seat you with other people if this is what you wish....GO to Hawaii, you may never get another opportunity...and you will meet tons of people and have fun.

Good for you - Hawaii is beautiful and you will have a wonderful time. Just smile and make new friends. If you were going in Sept when we are I would invite you to join us for dinner etc... I am sure someone in your roll call would do the same.

That's sweet of you to offer. I was planning on staying 6 nights post cruise in Waikiki, but my TA seems to think that many nights is too long, and I would get bored. So, now thinking of flying to one of the other islands for 3 nights..

Which Island would you suggest if I didn't want to rent a car, but rather go on tours?

Definitely Maui. Take a look at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. They have an excursion desk and very helpful personnel. It's a smaller, older hotel with a prime location on Kaanapali Beach (of course). The personnel do a welcome breakfast, they have Hawaiian Arts and Crafts each day something different, and when you leave they give you a Kukui Nut lei that makes you Ohana (family). Really gives you the feeling of "Old Hawaii".

Short walk to Whaler's Village, with all kinds of shops, restaurants.

Learn to Hula, or make a lei or learn how to play the ukelele (sp?) or learn all three, it's up to you. You check the schedule and decide which ones you want to participate in. Then they have a Hawaiian show each night by the pool (for free) from 6:00-9:00.

We just stayed there in October '11. I'm 65, my daughter is 46 and my granddaughter is 12. We each found something interesting to do and we all had a blast! I'm sure you would too!

That's sweet of you to offer. I was planning on staying 6 nights post cruise in Waikiki, but my TA seems to think that many nights is too long, and I would get bored. So, now thinking of flying to one of the other islands for 3 nights..

Which Island would you suggest if I didn't want to rent a car, but rather go on tours?

Bored???? Dump that TA....She's crazy. You are in HAWAII. Never enough time to do and see everything. :eek:

I know. I was floored when she said I would be bored there in Oahu that long??? Much as there is to do there? But more I've thought about it too, Maui may be more relaxed than Oahu, with all the hustle and bustle around Honolulu. Definitely staying that long after the cruise, just not sure where yet.

If you haven't already, check out the boards on TripAdvisor. You will be fine solo on both the Cruise and here on Oahu. Of course as with anywhere you must be cautious to prevent becoming a victim but no more than any state.

We did the POA a couple years ago and did several of the shore excursions and really had a wonderful time. I think you will be fine. There are lots of shows and activities on the ship and the port locations are safe.

Have a ball. You might meet a few friends. We sure did when we were out there. Maybe even sign up for a cruise critic roll call and see if you can make some friends in advance that you could dine with or go on some shore excursions with.

Bored? In Hawaii? Your TA is loco. There are so many things to see and do. You will need 3 weeks to do and see everything you want to. Don't listen to your TA. I've cruised by myself and it is great. Meet people on the roll call and just be friendly. I hate eating alone and never had to.

Do it, do it, do it.

Thanks everyone! You all have made me feel better about going alone. I have signed up for my roll call on CC, and there is already a couple of people on there, so that's great. I still haven't decided whether to stay post cruise on Oahu or fly to Maui, but either way I just can't wait!

Your roll call will be a great way to meet others and as far as Ohau or Maui you cant' go wrong with whichever you choose. Both can be as relaxing or busy as you want them to be. I just love Hawaii and would be happy with a week on any island!!!

Archived