Chair Hogs On Notice?

The policy is aimed at those that get up at 6AM, drop a book or flip flop on some chairs, then go off back to sleep or have breakfast and expect the chair to be there at 11AM.

Agree 100 %

All they have to do is station some staff out on the decks from 6:30 am or so and just let them at it! :) By 7:10 am all the chairs should be 'available' once again! (for the next round of chair hoggers? LOL :) )

I agree that after a couple of days like this hopefully people will get the message?

I think that is a great idea. They had a camera on lido deck pool area and you could watch the hogs slither in and drop their stuff and then leave. They did this even on the serenity deck. Most of the time during the day, it looked like barely anyone was at the pool or senenity deck, but all the chairs were towel occuplied.

I applaud Carnival for making this First Step.

I really applaud this idea, but I am wondering if 40 minutes for Carnival or 30 minute absence in NCL isn't a little short. I like to take a break and go down the water slide and I have waited longer than 40 mins. for my turn. Also it might be tough to wolf down lunch in under 40 mins and race back to your chair. Maybe I will be informed otherwise, but is it chair hogging if you just take a break to do these things? To my mind, chair hogging is someone who takes up the prime chair at 6am, then goes back to bed, does breakfast etc. and wonders back at 11am or just leaves it reserved in case the mood strikes later in the day. I would think that 1 hour away from the lounger is nabbing the true chair hogs and not those who really intend to spend the say at the lounger, but need a couple of breaks to swim or grab a bite.

Just posted on facebook...

Let’s talk everyone’s favourite subject. No, not my hemorrhoids……………seat saving. It has been a subject discussed over and over again and it has been so because it continues to be a concern. But now is not the time to dwell in the past but in the future and that future is today. The Carnival Breeze is the test ship for a new commitment to stopping this and we started today.

As you can see, this screen shot was sent to every cabin TV. The same announcement was made by me three times a day and live on the morning show. It was also placed on the Seaside Theatre Big Screen. So the message is loud and clear.

We went with 4o minutes as we felt that this was a fair amount of time if guests get up to eat, drink, pee, swim or slide.

The big difference here is that we are now staffed and able to police this. Our crew will walk the decks and if they see a chair unused but saved with towels, books, shoes, baby Yaks or underpants they will place a sticker on the chair with the current time. Then, they will check 40 minutes later and if the chair is still reserved and unoccupied then they will remove the articles and take them to the towel station by the main pool making sure a note is left for the guests that they have done so.

This is step number one in a new drive to make this work and once we finish the test here this cruise and next, we will make adjustments and then add to the rest of the fleet. It has been noted by the beards who read this page how important this was to you and I have pushed hard to the most senior beards to get this done and my thanks to them for listening and acting.

The comments here are fantastic and guests truly appreciate the effort and it has really, absolutely made a difference. We still have work to do but we are on the right path and I would like to thanks Marcin our Housekeeping manager and Pierre the Hotel Director and all the wonderful deck staff who are making this work.

Comments please.

313285_428997527142814_418337853_n.jpg

thanks carnival your the best.............................mike wells

I really applaud this idea, but I am wondering if 40 minutes for Carnival or 30 minute absence in NCL isn't a little short. I like to take a break and go down the water slide and I have waited longer than 40 mins. for my turn. Also it might be tough to wolf down lunch in under 40 mins and race back to your chair. Maybe I will be informed otherwise, but is it chair hogging if you just take a break to do these things? To my mind, chair hogging is someone who takes up the prime chair at 6am, then goes back to bed, does breakfast etc. and wonders back at 11am or just leaves it reserved in case the mood strikes later in the day. I would think that 1 hour away from the lounger is nabbing the true chair hogs and not those who really intend to spend the say at the lounger, but need a couple of breaks to swim or grab a bite.

If you're going to be gone longer than 40 minutes, you shouldn't be holding the chair when someone else could be using it. Take your stuff with you and find a new lounger when you end up coming back to the lido deck. It's a simple courtesy.

Yes, the chogs are the ones who drop their stuff and leave for hours on end, but even those who go for lunch or are gone for an hour, really shouldn't be tying up a chair when someone else could be using it.

If you leave to go to lunch then that chair is open for someone else to use.

I don't think that most people regarding grabbing a bite to eat at lunch to be chair hogging. I am not talking about a lingering european lunch, but just grabbing something quick at the buffet. Still I might not make it back in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to stop the true chair hogs, I want to be able to come back to my lounger after a quick bite to eat and if the blue dot means I can not do that, then I can not support the program.

This will also harm people with mobility issues. I believe it is possible to implement a sensibile program that would get rid of the rude, inconsiderate chair hoggers, without harming elderly people who do not move quickly or those with other mobility issues. But if everyone must be extreme and hard line about this, then I feel this program will be short lived.

I don't think that most people regarding grabbing a bite to eat at lunch to be chair hogging. I am not talking about a lingering european lunch, but just grabbing something quick at the buffet. Still I might not make it back in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to stop the true chair hogs, I want to be able to come back to my lounger after a quick bite to eat and if the blue dot means I can not do that, then I can not support the program.

This will also harm people with mobility issues. I believe it is possible to implement a sensibile program that would get rid of the rude, inconsiderate chair hoggers, without harming elderly people who do not move quickly or those with other mobility issues. But if everyone must be extreme and hard line about this, then I feel this program will be short lived.

You go get a bite to eat, take however long you like, then you get a new chair. With less abuse, they will be easier to find.

That seems reasonable to me

It is not your lounger.

If you want to lay in the sun, lay in the sun.

If you want to eat lunch, pick up your stuff and go eat lunch. Let someone else use the lounger while you are gone and get another when you're done with lunch.

Same goes for people with mobility issues - if you are leaving, take your stuff with you. No 'harm' in that.

There are no loungers available because so many people have something else they would rather be doing at that moment than laying in the sun -- but save the loungers anyway.

I notice the screenshot only says "towels" will be removed and doesn't mention personal items being removed. I guess maybe that's assumed???

I hope they stick to it.

It actually say "articles." One could assume that would include everything including the towel.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

You go get a bite to eat, take however long you like, then you get a new chair. With less abuse, they will be easier to find.

Haha. Not naive enough to think there will be a lounger there after I come back from the buffet. Anyhow, so the verdict is sit in sun or starve. So the best bet might be throw a room service sandwich into my purse when I head out. problem solved. This still leaves the issue of the waterslides. I actually could not do the waterslide line and get back to my lounger within 30 minute in the past. And I know I can not take my towel, hat and beach bag down the slide, so now what?

Okay so no waterslides, crappy lunch, but I have my flipping lounger. And the alternative to make it 1 hour before the lounger is lost is out out the window by popular vote. Well....so which cruiselines are doing this again?

Haha. Not naive enough to think there will be a lounger there after I come back from the buffet. Anyhow, so the verdict is sit in sun or starve. So the best bet might be throw a room service sandwich into my purse when I head out. problem solved. This still leaves the issue of the waterslides. I actually could not do the waterslide line and get back to my lounger within 30 minute in the past. And I know I can not take my towel, hat and beach bag down the slide, so now what?

Okay so no waterslides, crappy lunch, but I have my flipping lounger. And the alternative to make it 1 hour before the lounger is lost is out out the window by popular vote. Well....so which cruiselines are doing this again?

NCL started doing it way before Carnival so good luck on the Epic with the other 6,000 passengers....Dennis

Okay so no waterslides, crappy lunch, but I have my flipping lounger. And the alternative to make it 1 hour before the lounger is lost is out out the window by popular vote. Well....so which cruiselines are doing this again?[/quote)

Seriously? Come on......:confused:

Heald reports from the Carnival Breeze that as of 9 am this morning (8/1 sea day) there were 81 open loungers. Also that as of 10:30 am this morning there were only two bags of items in the towel hut from two loungers.

So, looking at this in a positive light, the message has been received and people are not trying to reserve chairs for the day.

There is a push back from some people that think they have to have a lounger while they are in the hot tub, or in line for the water slide, or eating, and that 40 minutes is not long enough. They are saying they have no where to put their robes etc.

But... the majority of the opinion stated on the facebook page is positive and hoping this will go fleet wide ASAP.

then I can not support the program.

Your opinion to "support" the program doesn't really mean anything... the "program" is simply recognizing the rules that CCL has had in place for years (forever?) and simply "enforcing" their own rules.

It's just like when our elected government officials make new laws (and everyone argues about the need for the "new" law or not) that simply enforces an existing law. We are an extremely dysfunctional society.

The policy to not abuse a pool chair hasn't changed -- CCL is simply announcing that they will now enforce the policy.

If EVERYONE simply used a chair when they were on the deck, and take their stuff when they moved on to other things, there just may be a chair for everyone, always.

We're not talking about giving up your chair for a trip down the slide...

This is really about a few claiming 10+ chairs for their entire party, and then people don't show up for hours. If the new "program" eliminates the big offenders, then there will be so much more inventory for everyone.

On a personal note, I have been to resorts all over the world (but not on a CCL ship in 15 years) and if I see an empty chair for more than a few minutes, I just take it. If the person returns, I move to the next unused chair. It's not complicated nor dramatic. If someone says "my person is coming back" - I say, "great - we'll leave when they get here". It's not rocket science. Limited inventory means everyone shares and CHOGS can argue this all they want -- but once they realize that if everyone plays by the same rules, there will be plenty of chairs for everyone, then maybe they won't have their issues.

As a New Yorker, we are used to sharing resources to be happy neighbors. I really don't see why there's as much heat as there is. I "support" CCL for making the effort.

Did I really just waste 5 minutes typiing this? Geez.

There are no loungers available because so many people have something else they would rather be doing at that moment than laying in the sun -- but save the loungers anyway.

Agreed! ... You hit the nail on the head with that response... :D

Just posted on facebook...

Let’s talk everyone’s favourite subject. No, not my hemorrhoids……………seat saving. It has been a subject discussed over and over again and it has been so because it continues to be a concern. But now is not the time to dwell in the past but in the future and that future is today. The Carnival Breeze is the test ship for a new commitment to stopping this and we started today.

As you can see, this screen shot was sent to every cabin TV. The same announcement was made by me three times a day and live on the morning show. It was also placed on the Seaside Theatre Big Screen. So the message is loud and clear.

We went with 4o minutes as we felt that this was a fair amount of time if guests get up to eat, drink, pee, swim or slide.

The big difference here is that we are now staffed and able to police this. Our crew will walk the decks and if they see a chair unused but saved with towels, books, shoes, baby Yaks or underpants they will place a sticker on the chair with the current time. Then, they will check 40 minutes later and if the chair is still reserved and unoccupied then they will remove the articles and take them to the towel station by the main pool making sure a note is left for the guests that they have done so.

This is step number one in a new drive to make this work and once we finish the test here this cruise and next, we will make adjustments and then add to the rest of the fleet. It has been noted by the beards who read this page how important this was to you and I have pushed hard to the most senior beards to get this done and my thanks to them for listening and acting.

The comments here are fantastic and guests truly appreciate the effort and it has really, absolutely made a difference. We still have work to do but we are on the right path and I would like to thanks Marcin our Housekeeping manager and Pierre the Hotel Director and all the wonderful deck staff who are making this work.

Comments please.

313285_428997527142814_418337853_n.jpg

If this is for real, I am all for it.

Best post on this thread. Finally somebody with some common sense on this topic

This a step in the right direction. Curious to see how outrageous the chogs will be on the Pride next week.

We'll be on that sailing also...hoping for minimal chair hogging, especially on the Serenity Deck. Here's keeping my fingers crossed!

Really hoping this won't be an issue on the Freedom for our sailing on the 11th. Regardless, so glad to see Carnival is taking this step.

Sailed on freedom a fews weeks ago. There more empy chairs than i've ever seen before shouldn't be a problem.

I really would like someone to explain why they feel that they should be able to "save" a chair while they go and do something else (that takes longer than 30-40 minutes)?

Why is it that you feel you should be able to go have lunch and return to the *same* chair?

If I am in the Lido, leave my table for 30 minutes to go do something else, should I leave my stuff behind so that I can reclaim the same table? If I'm in the show lounge would it work there too?

What is it about the pool deck that makes people assume the chairs there "belong" to them for the day simply because they happened to sit in one first (or at all)?

Archived