Costa All Inclusive Drinks Package

stevieboy2k

Just come back from a week on Fascinosa.

All-inc was heavily pushed during the first 24h with flyers everywhere.

We had a choice of 3 white and 3 red for dinner (as per flyer), our waiter even gave me a mini wine sample session on the second night!

Fantastic option - a must - I've kept all our tickets and work out how much we've saved once I've got 5 minutes spare, I'm guessing that given we had spent the 19.50 before lunch on most days - quite a lot!

As for the hot chocolates - luvely - and washed down with a free (pre paid then) liqueur!

Just come back from a week on Fascinosa.

All-inc was heavily pushed during the first 24h with flyers everywhere.

Could you please be more elaborate about "heavily pushed"? It's hard to know what it means.

Did staff actively push it? Thanks.

Philip

Just returned a few weeks ago from sailing on the Costa Classica from Trieste. I've sailed with Costa a few times before and have used the all inclusive drink package before.

I noticed it was mostly the same on this last sailing with the exception of water. Bottled water is available by the glass (small) only! We used to be able to get bottles and carry them away but not this time. I was disappointed with this change, as you can imagine. We had to buy bottles of water for use later which just added to the expense. Our dinner service, in the past, would leave the water bottles on the table and we could refill ourselves as needed. This cruise we had to ask for every refill and as the dinner service got busy, we were forgotten on our refills. I would drink extra water at dinner to replenish from the day but also to help eat less. Also, there is a distinct difference in the bottled water and the ship's potable water in flavor.

Perhaps the cost of bottled water got out of hand with the all inclusive drink package. I am doing another sailing with Costa in December and will be buying the same drink package in addition to a bottled water package. I am disappointed with the change but it still remains a good value overall. Also I will have to be more persistant with refills at dinner.

Just returned a few weeks ago from sailing on the Costa Classica from Trieste. I've sailed with Costa a few times before and have used the all inclusive drink package before.

I noticed it was mostly the same on this last sailing with the exception of water. Bottled water is available by the glass (small) only! We used to be able to get bottles and carry them away but not this time. I was disappointed with this change, as you can imagine. We had to buy bottles of water for use later which just added to the expense. Our dinner service, in the past, would leave the water bottles on the table and we could refill ourselves as needed. This cruise we had to ask for every refill and as the dinner service got busy, we were forgotten on our refills. I would drink extra water at dinner to replenish from the day but also to help eat less. Also, there is a distinct difference in the bottled water and the ship's potable water in flavor.

Perhaps the cost of bottled water got out of hand with the all inclusive drink package. I am doing another sailing with Costa in December and will be buying the same drink package in addition to a bottled water package. I am disappointed with the change but it still remains a good value overall. Also I will have to be more persistant with refills at dinner.

I have ordered the Extra All-Inclusive for our whole group, and definitely think the package is great value no matter what. But, I do feel that these restrictions or changes does make it feel a lot more discount.

That's whats bothering me the most - that it has come down to such a smallish package, that they are calculating in such detail on whether the bottle is left on the table or not.

Oh well, I guess it all adds up for the cruise liner. When I go on a cruise, I don't want to feel like I am on a discount package, so this could potentially let be de-select it in the future. It already annoys me that long-drinks have the star (not included), where I would much more tolerate that it was only very expensive drinks that was not on, I find that they are cutting it just a tad.

Philip

Could you please be more elaborate about "heavily pushed"? It's hard to know what it means.

Did staff actively push it? Thanks.

Philip

Mentioned in the welcome meeting.

Flyers at the dinner table.

Flyers at numerous bars.

Mentioned on the tv channel.

A whole small side bar put over for the first 24 h or so as a dedicated place to go and buy the package.

Large promotional display on one of the main through routes.

Mentioned in the welcome meeting.

Flyers at the dinner table.

Flyers at numerous bars.

Mentioned on the tv channel.

A whole small side bar put over for the first 24 h or so as a dedicated place to go and buy the package.

Large promotional display on one of the main through routes.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't find that pushy really.

Anyone else find that pushy except just making aware it is there?

Philip

Bottled water was always on our table in July.

On the Luminosa it was promoted...

at the bar (pile of leaflets)

in the welcome meeting

Some guests we spoke to still didn't know about it. So I think it needs to be actively promoted to ensure everyone can take up the offer.

I found out about it on CC. I would not have noticed the package had I relied on Costa's marketing.

Edited by kfowinst

We went on two Costa cruises this year - on the Costa neoRomantica in the Spring the package included a choice of two Reds and two whites plus Rose at dinner and there was a selection of hot chocolate drinks available. On the Costa Mediterranea at dinner we had no choice of wines, just one Red, one White or a Rose (which is a bit limiting if you have some tastebuds left!) plus there were no hot chocolate drinks - apparently only ships with a 'chocolate bar' have this. For us this was a major negative point as my wife isn't much of a drinker so the lack of hot chocolate in the drinks package made her drinks package pretty expensive. I don't know if the Mediterranea is particularly badly run by the Captain and Officers or if Costa have cut back but the service had noticeably deteriorated between our first and second cruise. Almost impossible to get a second glass of wine (or water) at dinner and bar service at night and in the self service lunch restaurant was very hard to find - lots of people of all nationalities were complaining but nothing improved - not sure we'd holiday with Costa again.

Do it on board as long as you make you mind up on the first day as you might get offered a discount on the wine packages anyway (there was a 20% voucher on our bed when we boarded). Made the mistake of doing it before boarding and there was no price advantage whatsoever.

No point at all in pre booking all inclusive - on both our Costa cruises this year our Costa cards when we arrived did not include the pre booked all inclusive so we had to queue at guest services to get the cards updated. Apparently their computer system can't manage to issue the right cards so you may as well just add it when you board as you'll have to queue anyway

No point at all in pre booking all inclusive - on both our Costa cruises this year our Costa cards when we arrived did not include the pre booked all inclusive so we had to queue at guest services to get the cards updated. Apparently their computer system can't manage to issue the right cards so you may as well just add it when you board as you'll have to queue anyway

Not to mention that based on this thread, you might want to get there and find out what it includes first before buying the package.

it is clearly posted on the costa website what is included. no need for surprises.

That may be, but from what I am reading here it doesn't appear to be written in stone. Either way I don't mind waiting, we are on a port intensive cruise, in some ports as late as 11:00 pm so I am not sure if it will be needed.

it is clearly posted on the costa website what is included. no need for surprises.

Not sure that's accurate, don't think that no choice of wines at dinner is mentioned plus even the leaflets on the ship advertised hot chocolate drinks which were not in fact available - we did ask!

That may be, but from what I am reading here it doesn't appear to be written in stone. Either way I don't mind waiting, we are on a port intensive cruise, in some ports as late as 11:00 pm so I am not sure if it will be needed.

i don't see any reason to order it far in advance, either. nor would i order it on a port-intensive cruise.

they people were 'surprised' didn't seem to do their research, however it does seem to change from ship to ship. i remember one poster ordering a 60 euro bottle of wine, thinking it was included. common sense would dictate that is not the case.

i do recall on mediterranea, there was a list of what and was not included. i think it is a case of the staff not being properly trained (management problem).

i don't see any reason to order it far in advance, either. nor would i order it on a port-intensive cruise.

they people were 'surprised' didn't seem to do their research, however it does seem to change from ship to ship. i remember one poster ordering a 60 euro bottle of wine, thinking it was included. common sense would dictate that is not the case.

i do recall on mediterranea, there was a list of what and was not included. i think it is a case of the staff not being properly trained (management problem).

I WOULD purchase the all inclusive on a port intensive cruise actually, it is such a bargain that it only takes 2 cocktails and a cappuccino to break even! It would be very easy to drink at least this amount on a port intensive cruise....

Water and latte for breakfast - €4 - nicer than the free stuff

Aperitif - €7 (+service charge 15%)

2 glass wine with dinner - €11 (+15%)

Cocktail with show €7 (+15%)

That's well over €30 with service charge, so €19.50 (inc service) is a steal!!

Edited by kfowinst

I WOULD purchase the all inclusive on a port intensive cruise actually, it is such a bargain that it only takes 2 cocktails and a cappuccino to break even! It would be very easy to drink at least this amount on a port intensive cruise....

Agree totally :)

i shouldve specified i don't drink alcohol. makes a difference. when i book a cruise with the ship being the destination, i can get full value.

We have sailed Costa a few times (I'm now Pearl :)) but have never purchased an All inclusive drinks package, in the past we have opted for a package which included several bottles of water and wine. I forget the amount of each and were also able to buy another package mid cruise when we had used it up.

Are these type of packages still available?

My wife doesn't drink alcohol so this method worked perfectly for us in the past. I don't like what I have read about not having a bottle on the table for dinner if you go all inclusive.

The rest of the package looks good though I just wouldn't want to left waiting for a top up when dining in the evening.

We have sailed Costa a few times (I'm now Pearl :)) but have never purchased an All inclusive drinks package, in the past we have opted for a package which included several bottles of water and wine. I forget the amount of each and were also able to buy another package mid cruise when we had used it up.

My wife doesn't drink alcohol so this method worked perfectly for us in the past. I don't like what I have read about not having a bottle on the table for dinner if you go all inclusive.

The rest of the package looks good though I just wouldn't want to left waiting for a top up when dining in the evening.

We were never kept waiting for a top-up, the bottles of wine were left on the table so we could help ourselves, although the waiters did top up inbetween serving food.

Probably depends on the waiter. Our wine and water was not left on our dining table, but on a table abutting a pillar nearby.

We only tested the system once by drinking more than a bottle between us, but there was no problem and offers of refills were frequent enough. They let us take the remaining water away one night - but reluctantly and we did not ask again.

you can look through what packages are available here: http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/before_board/services/SpecialServicesCategories.htm#anchor-ss

if you look under the 'special gifts' section, i believe you will see the package you mention.

Edited by AnonymousCruiser69