Does DH need to pack a suit?

RuxieGirl

We are cruising for 7 nights on the Carnival Liberty. How many nights are considered semi-formal to formal? Does DH need to bring his suit, or can he do khakis and nice button-downs?

What is the dress code at the Steakhouse, if we choose to dine there?

I know some people really dress up for formal nights, but it's not required, is it? Should we make plans to eat in a less-formal place for that night if we don't want to get dressed up?

We are cruising for 7 nights on the Carnival Liberty. How many nights are considered semi-formal to formal? Does DH need to bring his suit, or can he do khakis and nice button-downs?

I know some people really dress up for formal nights, but it's not required, is it? Should we make plans to eat in a less-formal place for that night if we don't want to get dressed up?

There are two elegant nights on a 7 night cruise. You don't have to dress up if you don't want to...I think the steak house follows the regular MDR dress code.

not at all. that is a great outfit to wear on formal night. we dress like that every time. stop packing suits and dresses long ago. some do dress up and some dont. it's personal preference.

From Carnival's FAQs:

What to wear?

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

The Steakhouse

The Steakhouse is an alternative to eating in the Main Dining Room or the Lido Restaurant, open daily, 5:30pm-9:30pm.

The dress code for the Steakhouse is Cruise Elegant (Jeans permitted on Cruise Casual evenings).

HTH

DH stopped taking a suit a few cruises ago. For elegant night in the MDR, he wears slacks and a dress shirt and sometimes a tie. For the steakhouse, he wears slacks and a nice silk Tommy Bahama shirt. On casual nights in the MDR, he wears nice golf-type long shorts and a polo or sometimes a tommy bahama. And he fits right in with everyone else.

In my experience, people tend to dress up a bit more on 7+ nite cruises - usually on the first CE night.

I have only ever been on a 7 night+ cruise and I find the dress code has really laxed in the past few years. especially on carnival.

Hubby and both the boys used to always take a suit.

Now it is just polos and khakis.

When we were asked to eat with the Captain, we declined at first because hubby did not bring a suit. But they said not to worry....it was cruise casual...so a polo a nd khakis were fine.

Hi Ruxie...LOL>>LOL>>LOL. Suit???? OMG. Wait until you see how people dress.

All other cruise lines, my husband wears his tux or a suit. Carnival? Elegant night is just another night at a casual restaurant.

Archived