Can HAL encourage participation in formal nights?

luxurysailer

The number of folks calling room service and going to Lido is a good indicator. As those numbers grow and they see more empty seats in the dining room, IMO, they will say Finished to formal nights.

This is an excellent observation. I've definitely noticed Lido numbers growing on formal nights on other cruise lines. It seems the same is happening on HAL.

Wouldn't bother us if every night was smart casual in the dining room. We usually tack on land travel to our cruises, so packing light is a must. Although we did take along our formal wear on our recent 7 week trip, which involved 2 cruises and land travel in the UK, we vowed this will be our last time. We ended skipping some of the formal nights in the dining room and were happy to eat in the Lido.

Apart from one's opinion about formal nights, it is unclear to me what particular interest (read revenue potential) HAL would have in encouraging cruisers to participate. Not certain why HAL would care.

Do they make that much money from the photo sales on formal evenings or do MDR wine/liquor sales pick up substantially on those evenings?

maybe formal night could be morphed into 'hash night' and everyone could eat in their jammies. :D

Don't give them any ideas:D;).

I'm surprised at the amount of people that say that formal night is falling out of favour. I've done both open and traditional dining on HAL and in both cases the MDR was packed on formal nights.

Don't give them any ideas:D;).

I'm surprised at the amount of people that say that formal night is falling out of favour. I've done both open and traditional dining on HAL and in both cases the MDR was packed on formal nights.

Just wondering how many men were dressed in a sports jacket rather than more formal dress like tux or dark suit w/ tie. And how many women were really dressed up? Like the "informal" dress code used to be rather than a real formal night. Seems to me like those dressed in HAL's much reduced dress code really would be fine if formal night was discontinued. It just isn't how many show up in the MDR, but what they wear which shows how most feel about formal night.

There is nothing that could convince me to partake of the formal experience. I do play by the rules and not attend the dining room on formal nights so that I don't have to pack or wear formal attire.

I dress up for work every day and (especially when I'm in the Caribbean) I have zero desire to don heels and other uncomfortable clothing.

From an outsider's perspective, it looks like a lot of people still enjoy the formal experience, and more power to you. I think the cruise line can do little to make this more appealing for folks who just aren't interested, and frankly, I appreciate that I can opt out by dining in cabin or having a buffet meal.

Just wondering how many men were dressed in a sports jacket rather than more formal dress like tux or dark suit w/ tie. And how many women were really dressed up? Like the "informal" dress code used to be rather than a real formal night. Seems to me like those dressed in HAL's much reduced dress code really would be fine if formal night was discontinued. It just isn't how many show up in the MDR, but what they wear which shows how most feel about formal night.

Exactly. I no longer wear a tux, and last cruise only wore a suit 1 night (out of 4) with a blazer or sport coat the other three (but with a tie).

Time to just do away with "formal night" altogether, I think. But, until then, I'll try to abide by the suggestions...

I sat next to a woman who wore a track suit every night,then on Formal nights didn't show. There's been youtube videos in the dining room,where one can see ball caps.

That must mean that the cruise line approves of that type of attire.

No one is admitted into the MDR without approval from the cruise line employee who is stationed at the entrance.

Those who don't like what others are allowed to wear are still cruising HAL, so it must not be as important as some try to make it sound !!

We have noticed a gradual but significant decline in the number of passengers who really dress formally on formal nights over the past 10 years.

Recently we have observed only a small remaining minority still wearing tux or gown on formal nights.

Most passengers in the dining room appear to dress to the minimal acceptable standard that is requested by the cruise line.

Even the men we know who will readily wear a tux for true formal occasions no longer bother to wear one on cruise ships, preferring to blend in with the majority who do not.

It seems that continuing to call it "formal night" now appears to be the primary thing about it that still remains formal. :)

That must mean that the cruise line approves of that type of attire.

No one is admitted into the MDR without approval from the cruise line employee who is stationed at the entrance.

Really? I've never had go ask for approval from some "dress policeman", have you?

The fact that HAL chooses not to cause a scene in the MDR should not equate to HAL "approving" every Clem Cadiddlehopper who shows up at the door...

HAL is a mass market cruise line. Many ships, with some cruises starting at as low as $499.

Why would you not expect to see a cross section of society on their ships-whether it be formal evenings or not?

Somehow I do not think that eliminating formal evenings or enhancing the formal evening experience will have an impact on whether or not people wear tshirts or hats in the MDR.

Really? I've never had go ask for approval from some "dress policeman", have you?

The fact that HAL chooses not to cause a scene in the MDR should not equate to HAL "approving" every Clem Cadiddlehopper who shows up at the door...

I have not had to ask for approval, so that must mean I am wearing the type of apparel that HAL approves.

You must be doing the same, along with those who are dining with baseball caps and the other types of apparel that have been mentioned on these boards.

I have not had to ask for approval, so that must mean I am wearing the type of apparel that HAL approves.

You must be doing the same, along with those who are dining with baseball caps and the other types of apparel that have been mentioned on these boards.

The absence of objection does not equal approval, or even toleration for that matter...

The HAL personal at the door look at the way you are dressed and decide if you can go in. I ware a sport coat with or without a tie depending how I feel I never had a problem. I have seen people in shorts told to go back and put on long pants.

Archived