Can HAL encourage participation in formal nights?

luxurysailer

This post is not intended to re-hash the various opinions that we all have about formal nights. HAL apparently would like to keep formal nights, but they're obviously not going to enforce the suggested dress code. So, instead of enforcing the dress code I'd like to start a discussion on whether or not HAL can and should encourage participation by making formal nights something really special rather than just an evening for dressing up.

I'll offer a few suggestions, and encourage you to express your opinion pro or con as well as offer alternate/additional suggestions.

1) Reserve a special area of the MDR for observant pax and strictly enforce the dress code for entry.

2) Offer a special menu for the formal area, but allow pax to order from the regular menu if desired.

3) Offer a complimentary glass of good wine/champagne and also make the specialty coffees complimentary. If not complimentary, then significantly discounted.

4) Have a black and white ball with discounted drinks and enforce the dress code for entry.

I think HAL should change to formal optional on some nights and have resort causal all the time. This way there is no need for the dress police and people can dress formal or not without spoiling there special night worrying about what others ware.

This post is not intended to re-hash the various opinions that we all have about formal nights. HAL apparently would like to keep formal nights, but they're obviously not going to enforce the suggested dress code. So, instead of enforcing the dress code I'd like to start a discussion on whether or not HAL can and should encourage participation by making formal nights something really special rather than just an evening for dressing up.

I'll offer a few suggestions, and encourage you to express your opinion pro or con as well as offer alternate/additional suggestions.

1) Reserve a special area of the MDR for observant pax and strictly enforce the dress code for entry.

I don't think guests should be removed from their usual Traditional Main Upper table to which they are assigned. DH and I do dress appropriately for formal nights but I would not support having those who do not removed from their usual table. It certainly would have to be made clear at time of booking that could happen or many guests would have an unhappy situation. JMO

2) Offer a special menu for the formal area, but allow pax to order from the regular menu if desired.

We know the argument that shoots this down. :D

Everyone has paid for their cruise and should have all benefit they have paid for. The menu we all choose from should be the same no matter what we are wearing. IMO

I definitely commend your creative thinking and attempt to find ways for more people to dress formal on those designated nights.

It'll be fun to read other persons' comments.

I think HAL should change to formal optional on some nights and have resort causal all the time. This way there is no need for the dress police and people can dress formal or not without spoiling there special night worrying about what others ware.

The example set by NCL has been accepted by most cruisers and seems to be working well on their ships.

All mainstream cruise lines are walking a tightrope with trying to maintain some traditions and still attract enough people to fill the ships.

Your suggestion seems to fit the needs of all.

An interesting concept, but I doubt HAL would be interested in enforcing more regulations or guidelines. They don't enforce the ones they have now, so I can't see them adding more, and doing any better.

HAL is a mass market line, and in trying to be every thing to every body standards fall to the lowest common denominator.

If the formal experience is important, a line such as Cunard, or Saga might be your best option.

Some great ideas, I don't know if the new/old customer of Holland wants to dress up in suits.The baby boomer is different in a few ways, And that is the future customer for holland . I use to wear a suit every day, Today it is not my choice of dressing up. Weddings of course but even weddings you see fewer black tie, My opinion a baby boomer I love to cruising experience, But to have 3 or 4 formal nights in the main dinning room is not fun , Maybe have the pay dinning rooms a few nights formal dress only.Like I said before this is just one 58 year old opinion.

Have them convince the airlines to quit charging a ridiculous fee for a second bag.

There are many lightweight, easy pack formal dress options. Even for men. This excuse ..... (ahem) .... does not fly.

5. Go back to having a Mariner's cocktail party in the show room like we used to have.

I miss those parties and would love to have them again at least now and then. Maybe on ten day or longer cruises? We loved seeing everyone recognized for their particular level of days. Everyone dressed for the evening, the showroom was packed full and those parties were nice.

I doubt they have enough bar staff now to be able to do those parties.

I think changing the visual imagery of formal nights would help to show it does not mean corseted and boned taffeta and tule dresses with tiaras, long gloves with a lorgnette and a sausage-stuffed, scratchy, ill-fitting, button-popping, cumberband choking, tired old tux from one's decades prior wedding day.

Today "formal" is light-weight, easily wearable and easy pack items that are just plain comfortable and fun to wear that makes formal night something to enjoy, not dread.

Pardon my ignorance, but what has this to do with encouraging formal wear when dining on formal nights? :confused:

Gail,

Those parties were always held on formal nights and gave a really good reason for Mariners to dress to attend the nice party. There could be a connection between offering a special event on formal night and seeing more people dressed formal for the dining room on that night.

I do not think that HAL can do anything-nor do I think they have the will to do it.

It is a more a matter of demographics and a change in cruise preferences. HAL wants to appeal to every group so they certainly would never want to move to a format that is anything but 'wishy washy'.

Formal evenings are not a special event for us. A so called 'free' glass of wine or a special meal would not really it for us.

We have simply reached as stage where we prefer casual.

HAL management cannot seem to get their collective heads around sorting out the current suggested guidelines-or trying to 'enforce' them. I cannot imagine them being successful with any other structure.

I do not think that HAL can do anything-nor do I think they have the will to do it.

It is a more a matter of demographics and a change in cruise preferences. HAL wants to appeal to every group so they certainly would never want to move to a format that is anything but 'wishy washy'.

Formal evenings are not a special event for us. A so called 'free' glass of wine or a special meal would not really it for us.

We have simply reached as stage where we prefer casual.

HAL management cannot seem to get their collective heads around sorting out the current suggested guidelines-or trying to 'enforce' them. I cannot imagine them being successful with any other structure.

As long as you have reached the stage where you are willing to dine elsewhere on formal nights, this is not a problem.

Pardon my ignorance, but what has this to do with encouraging formal wear when dining on formal nights? :confused:

If there is a cocktail party, people are more likely to dress up for both that AND dinner, so there's an added incentive. True, it would apply only to Mariners, but with such a high percentage of mariners on many cruises, it would apply to a lot of guests.

To those who posted against the idea of formal nights, you're off topic. OP asked for ways to encourage formal nights, not get rid of them.

I like the idea of encouraging people to dress up on formal nights, but I don't think the OP's suggestions will work for the same reasons others have given. HAL won't enforce the rules they have, so these wouldn't get enforced either; and having "bonus" items on the menu for certain people in the MDR would make too many people angry.

What about a photo bonus? Have your picture taken on formal night, and if the couple is dressed according to "code" they get entered into a drawing for a free photo. It isn't a lot, in terms of money, but it's a way for the line to say "thank you for dressing up."

On my last Cunard cruise, the captain thanked people for looking so lovely in their formal wear. Twice, once in the general capt's cocktail party and once at the World Club (past passenger) party. Maybe just encouraging the staff to compliment passengers would help send a subliminal message.

We have no problem in dining elsewhere on formal nights.

Frankly, I do not see what the big issue. If you want to dine the the MDR then put on a jacket or whatever. If not, there are other good choices.

It is not as though HAL or anyone else is saying dress up, or hide in your cabin and order room service. This is the last thing that HAL wants.

A discounted drink, a free drink, or a free picture would make no difference to our decision but I know that there are some people out there who cannot resist a free anything whether they want it or need it.

Frankly, I do not see what the big issue. If you want to dine the the MDR then put on a jacket or whatever. If not, there are other good choices.

It is not as though HAL or anyone else is saying dress up, or hide in your cabin and order room service. This is the last thing that HAL wants.

A discounted drink, a free drink, or a free picture would make no difference to our decision but I know that there are some people out there who cannot resist a free anything whether they want it or need it.

Thank you. We agree to agree on this one.

Is the problem. With larger ships and more cabins of all grades, Holland America has to appeal to a very wide range of people , cultures and economics. With this melting pot there is no common thread of what folks like or appreciate. While one group likes the tradtional dress ( I am one who finds black tie enjoyable:D) and to the other extreme likes jeans and sweat shirts and a woody woodpecker tie.. and every thing in between.

With 2000+ passengers you have thus no real common thread other than they are all on the same ship.

If you desire more formal companions and ambiance, then you wil have to change ships/ or lines to find ones that meet your taste and have relative common ground in taste.

Have them convince the airlines to quit charging a ridiculous fee for a second bag.

There are many lightweight, easy pack formal dress options. Even for men. This excuse ..... (ahem) .... does not fly.
Well, its not an excuse that I use because I have worn a tux for every single formal night on every single cruise I have been on. However, if I did not bring a tux, suit or sport coat on a cruise along with shoes and other accessories needed for formal or suit dress, I can assure you, I would only need 1 suitcase. With formal/dress clothes, I cannot do it with one, I have tried, cannot be done. So, while I do not use the excuse, it is one that certainly flies when one is faced with paying an addional $100 just to dress up.

Well, its not an excuse that I use because I have worn a tux for every single formal night on every single cruise I have been on. However, if I did not bring a tux, suit or sport coat on a cruise along with shoes and other accessories needed for formal or suit dress, I can assure you, I would only need 1 suitcase. With formal/dress clothes, I cannot do it with one, I have tried, cannot be done. So, while I do not use the excuse, it is one that certainly flies when one is faced with paying an addional $100 just to dress up.

I believe HAL rental charges for tuxes is less than your proverbial $100 extra baggage charge. Dropping down to a simple, light-weight white dinner jacket looks smashing too. Fewer accessories, multi-servicable dark pants, or even get a little wild as long as the top looks formal and great across the tables of the MDR on that night.

Oh yes it can. My DH and I did a repo cruise and then on to Alaska for a total of 11 days, we took one suit case apiece and each had a carry on. My DH brought his tux and all the accessories including those patten leather shoes. It can be done if you want to.

I like your way of thinking. I do not/will not dress for dinner while on vacation, especially going to Alaska. That being said, I respect those who want the formal experience, so I will eat in other locations those 2 nights.

This is only my second cruise, both to Alaska. The first was on Princess, I read all the same formal night hoopla on CRUISE CRITIC when planning my first so did not know what to expect. I saw everything from jeans to Tux. One guy even had on tie-died scrubs and clogs. He did wear a different color every night.

Archived