Can HAL encourage participation in formal nights?

luxurysailer

Just wear your formal wear on the plane. This will eliminate whining about baggage fees.

Heck you'll be the best dressed one on the plane,a regular James Bond,

Yes... people used to dress up and look good just to fly.

I Know times are a changing...code word for how dumbed down can we get till we finally reach full blown schleperville.

Just wear your formal wear on the plane. This will eliminate whining about baggage fees.

Heck you'll be the best dressed one on the plane,a regular James Bond,

Yes... people used to dress up and look good just to fly.

I Know times are a changing...code word for how dumbed down can we get till we finally reach full blown schleperville.

Have you ever sat in an Amtrak waiting room???????????????

Kathy-

I am glad that is your preference to dress. :D There are others of us that might not enjoy it as much. The issue is about our right to choose. I would never appear in a venue in apparel that would be turned away, but I like to make my own choices, not have it dictated to me by cruisers who let others have such a large impact on their cruise.

In fact I did misspeak, it is $100 per bag for a second bag, $200 for a third.....

It's truly not the issue though. I can't believe you are telling me that after 250+ days that HAL may not be the cruise line for me......:rolleyes: The issue is the right to chose, and some always wanting to impose their own values on every other cruiser. Obviously, you are okay with that, we are all entitled to our opinions.

P.S. And I am also entitled to decide which line I cruise without others suggesting that after all this time, it's an inappropriate match.....:eek:

I never said you shouldn't sail on HAL.

So what do you CHOOSE to do on formal nights on HAL?

Just wear your formal wear on the plane.

My husband does a variation of this -- he wears his sports jacket on the plane as it would take up more room in the luggage than it deserves. He also wears his clunky old shoes and packs the smaller dress shoes. He's quite the sight!

My husband does a variation of this -- he wears his sports jacket on the plane as it would take up more room in the luggage than it deserves. He also wears his clunky old shoes and packs the smaller dress shoes. He's quite the sight!

And is that a fine example of "full blown schleperville"? ;)

No insult intended to you Lisa63...... just frustration at this whole discourse.

I think HAL should change to formal optional on some nights and have resort causal all the time.

This. A thousand times this.

Those who dress formally can enjoy their dress, those who dress resort casual can enjoy their preferred clothing. They can coexist together, no one's feelings should get hurt. If they do, well, that person has some issues. Wearing a tuxedo makes no one better than another, wearing Levi's doesn't make anyone less of a dignified human.

Seabourn, Clipper and many other premium lines all excel at this and they are not a mass market one-size-fits-all line that is HAL.

I never said you shouldn't sail on HAL.

So what do you CHOOSE to do on formal nights on HAL?

Frankly it depends on the cruise. On our next cruise is to Europe, which is very itinerary heavy, we will go to the MDR if we are not too tired from the day touring and if we get back in enough time to dress. If not, there is the Lido and room service. We do this to be polite.

That said, I just don't take kindly to others dictating how we are to dress, and suggesting that we dress to conform to their expectations. :rolleyes:

Many of us feel differently about the dress issue, which is our right. I see no reason to tell others how to dress and think others need to MYOB.

This is our hard earned vacation, and we will enjoy it the way we choose. I refuse to be strong armed by the dress police here on this board. :cool:

Those who dress formally can enjoy their dress, those who dress resort casual can enjoy their preferred clothing. They can coexist together, no one's feelings should get hurt. If they do, well, that person has some issues. Wearing a tuxedo makes no one better than another, wearing Levi's doesn't make anyone less of a dignified human.

Amen to this brilliant response. Can I have your permission to "cut and paste" this for the next two thousand Formal Dress threads? ;)

Seabourn, Clipper and many other premium lines all excel at this and they are not a mass market one-size-fits-all line that is HAL.

Totally agree....said much more eloquently than I could! :D

Amen to this brilliant response. Can I have your permission to "cut and paste" this for the next two thousand Formal Dress threads? ;)

As an Ontario land owner, heck yes! ;) (we have 86 acres and a cabin on the north shore of Manitoulin Island - no formal clothes there!)

Frankly it depends on the cruise. On our next cruise is to Europe, which is very itinerary heavy, we will go to the MDR if we are not too tired from the day touring and if we get back in enough time to dress. If not, there is the Lido and room service. We do this to be polite.

That said, I just don't take kindly to others dictating how we are to dress, and suggesting that we dress to conform to their expectations. :rolleyes:

Many of us feel differently about the dress issue, which is our right. I see no reason to tell others how to dress and think others need to MYOB.

This is our hard earned vacation, and we will enjoy it the way we choose. I refuse to be strong armed by the dress police here on this board. :cool:

So you dress according to HAL's dress code if you're going to the MDR or you go to the Lido if you don't have time or the desire to dress per HAL's dress code? Do you hate doing that? I'm not being nosy, I'm trying to understand why you posted about choice and wanting to dress as you wish and feeling strong-armed by other people when you seem to comply with the HAL dress code.

"Dress police"?

It's HAL who is suggesting/requesting a type of dress on certain evenings - not the posters on this board.

"My dressing the way I want doesn't prevent you dressing the way you want" is an attitude that misses the point.

When almost everyone follows the policy/request/suggestion, then people "complement your fellow guests", as HAL puts it.

As long as HAL continues to make the request/suggestion, and attempts to create "festive formal evenings", it's polite to comply. Not polite to HAL, but polite to the fellow guests.

Everyone that follows the request/suggestion expects or hopes others will. If they mainly do, the plan works.

If they don't...it doesn't.

It's not about clothes.

It's about courtesy.

And that's what I am going to continue to cut and paste into dress code threads. :)

Then, unsubscribe from them.

Most of those "freebies" are for cruising longevity or class of cabin not your clothing style. Those folks in the Crows Nest paid for the spot also, I assure you.

You look to impose your preferences on the rest of us, and then have HAL enforce it. Perhaps this might work on a "Grand" cruise, but just let the rest of us alone and let us cruise the way we choose. No one suggests you shouldn't dress up, but you need to let others make that decision for ourselves and stop imposing your values on the rest of us.

If you think my post expresses a desire to impose my preferences on the other passengers, I'd suggest that you could benefit from a course in reading comprehension. I clearly stated that everyone has the right to make their own choice. And if you'll go back and read my original post that started this thread you'll see that I made a clear distinction between encouraging and enforcing the suggested dress code. You'd do well to get your facts straight before making accusatory statements.

"Dress police"? It's HAL who is suggesting/requesting a type of dress on certain evenings - not the posters on this board.

OMG, please tell me you're kidding.... the posters on this board are not suggesting/requesting a type of dress? ROTFL right now!! :rolleyes:

If you think my post expresses a desire to impose my preferences on the other passengers, I'd suggest that you could benefit from a course in reading comprehension. I clearly stated that everyone has the right to make their own choice. And if you'll go back and read my original post that started this thread you'll see that I made a clear distinction between encouraging and enforcing the suggested dress code. You'd do well to get your facts straight before making accusatory statements.

You seem to be the one throwing stones. As you stated "If you think my post expresses a desire to impose my preferences on the other passengers, I'd suggest that you could benefit from a course in reading comprehension." It's truly a shame you feel you needed to do that. We all are entitled to our opinions.

By suggesting that there be a "carrot" for those that dress the way you diem to be acceptable, you have appointed yourself the fashion police, whether you recognize it or not. Your suggestion is that the rest of us should be relegated to another dining venue and lesser meal choice if we didn't. Best to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

The truth is, the HAL of this day and age would not do what you suggested, this idea is hopelessly dated. Cruising has changed, like it or not.

With all due respect, if we wanted NCL, we would cruise NCL. We do cruise NCL. But when we want traditional, we sail HAL.

Its not fair to take a cruise line who is traditional, then impose the will of those who want a more NCL style cruise, in order to change the line... Better that guests going on HAL, know that they are traditional, and choose to cruise HAL or not, based on what HAL has established over many years.

This thread is about HOW to entice more pax to join in. Not on how to abolish a HAL tradition.

Really ???????

And is that a fine example of "full blown schleperville"? ;)

No insult intended to you Lisa63...... just frustration at this whole discourse.

Never thought about it, but schleperville fits! ;)

Was Luxurysailor wrong, for thinking of a reason more people would want to participate? No,

HAL does special events for honeymooners, singles, bridge players, mariners, suite pax etc...

To maybe throw a formal party (ball as suggested) for guests on one night, sound so bad to you?

Its Holland America Line who sets the codes. Sorry for those that don't like iit. But it is what it is. HAL try's very hard to keep the traditions alive.

Think I always want to dress formally? No way. Last cruise we spent one formal night in our PJ's. But, I choose HAL for who they are. I choose other lines when I want another experience.

No reason to get everyones panties in a bunch because the OP suggested ways for guests to participate in a long honored HAL tradition. I see angry posts about something the OP was trying to put a positive light on. Thats just nuts.

We follow the rules. Period. They are not my rules, they are not your rules, they are HAL's rules. Geeze.

This post is not intended to re-hash the various opinions that we all have about formal nights. HAL apparently would like to keep formal nights, but they're obviously not going to enforce the suggested dress code. So, instead of enforcing the dress code I'd like to start a discussion on whether or not HAL can and should encourage participation by making formal nights something really special rather than just an evening for dressing up.

I'll offer a few suggestions, and encourage you to express your opinion pro or con as well as offer alternate/additional suggestions.

1) Reserve a special area of the MDR for observant pax and strictly enforce the dress code for entry.

2) Offer a special menu for the formal area, but allow pax to order from the regular menu if desired.

3) Offer a complimentary glass of good wine/champagne and also make the specialty coffees complimentary. If not complimentary, then significantly discounted.

4) Have a black and white ball with discounted drinks and enforce the dress code for entry.

This logic escapes me !!

Why would HAL want to discount the drinks ??

They could enforce the dress codes that are in place now if they wanted to do that.

These items would (or could) result in loss of business, and none of the mainstream cruise lines are in position to chase customers away over some outdated dress codes.

"Dress police"?

It's HAL who is suggesting/requesting a type of dress on certain evenings - not the posters on this board.

"My dressing the way I want doesn't prevent you dressing the way you want" is an attitude that misses the point.

When almost everyone follows the policy/request/suggestion, then people "complement your fellow guests", as HAL puts it.

As long as HAL continues to make the request/suggestion, and attempts to create "festive formal evenings", it's polite to comply. Not polite to HAL, but polite to the fellow guests.

Everyone that follows the request/suggestion expects or hopes others will. If they mainly do, the plan works.

If they don't...it doesn't.

It's not about clothes.

It's about courtesy.

And that's what I am going to continue to cut and paste into dress code threads. :)

Then, unsubscribe from them.

Thumbs up!

This logic escapes me !!

Why would HAL want to discount the drinks ??

They could enforce the dress codes that are in place now if they wanted to do that.

These items would (or could) result in loss of business, and none of the mainstream cruise lines are in position to chase customers away over some outdated dress codes.

Result in the loss of business?... woah hold it.

1. HAL sells out almost every ship. I doubt a loss there.

Lets talk about lack/loss of revenue for not planning something on formal night...

Lets just say, if HAL were to offer a party or a ball like OP has stated, (on formal night) it would have people out, spending money. Being active. On some longer HAL cruises they do this. There are photos all over the blogs showing it. Its another way to create revenue. Ever heard of "drink of the day"? That is a discounted drink. They sure do sell alot of them... If someone were at a nice party, we they would prob buy a couple... Or more.

This is a great way to make additional revenue. Would hardly cost them anything additional to plan an event, open up a venue, play some music and there you go.

People up later, spending money. Not like me, 33 years old btw-- and after formal night dinner we shop a bit, gamble a bit have a drink and in bed by 10.

Now give me a reason to go out, (when I was already dressed up) and hey there you go- instant revenue.

Make it classy, invite people, and they would come. Even for nothing more than to have something to do since they got all dressed up already...

I work in the events industry, and tell you what- it would definately build revenue. To think that it would not is just silly.

Archived