Can HAL encourage participation in formal nights?

luxurysailer

We would go with casual attire notwithstanding what was planned for the balance of the evening.

laffnvegas hit the nail on the head. When we vacation it is either all inclusives or a combination of cruise(s) and an independent land tour (why fly all that way just for a cruise).

In either case, we have no intention of packing anything but casual attire. We don't attend the MDR on those nights. We do not feel that we have 'missed out' on anything.

We are in our late fifties/and early sixties. We are retired and are now travelling frequently-two cruises and an extensive land trip before the end of the year.

From what we could observe over the past few years, and on our last few cruises (12-14 days), there is a growing number of people in our age group who feel the same way.

So, as laffnvegas says, why on earth would HAL do anything, or spend money attempting to encourage us to do something that we have no intention of doing? Unless of course, they have a different target market-which is entirely possble. We cannot tell from their current mixed messages.[/QUOVxT

I would think that although hal appriciates the older crowd they do have I also know that they are trying to get younger cruisers hooked. This helps them ensure the future of the line...

Only makes cent$...

Fully agree. We two are of your same age group and conduct ourselves similarly in dress and intent.

why not??? You and I must be reading different threads as I constantly see advice to come in early before your cruise:D

Yes early means the day before on these boards. The average cruiser doesn't spend days at their port before sailing. I personally do. I spent 4 days in Vancouver prior to a cruise,but the average cruiser doesn't. Some do, some spend a month but I mean the average cruiser, the average cruiser

Did I mention the average cruiser,I mean the average cruiser,the point I'm trying to get across is the average cruiser,

Yes early means the day before on these boards. The average cruiser doesn't spend days at their port before sailing. I personally do. I spent 4 days in Vancouver prior to a cruise,but the average cruiser doesn't. Some do, some spend a month but I mean the average cruiser, the average cruiser

Did I mention the average cruiser,I mean the average cruiser,the point I'm trying to get across is the average cruiser,

ROTFL...... but what exactly are you trying to say? :p

Are you the arbiter of what constitutes the 'average' cruiser.

I think that we are fairly average. Cannot think of a single cruise in the last 5 years that we have not added a pre or a post cruise tour, in some cases both.

I cannot imagine the 'average' cruiser' for instance, flying all the way to Istanbul or Rome for example, and not adding a land portion. You really do not see that much local colour on a cruise.

I think that we are fairly average. Cannot think of a single cruise in the last 5 years that we have not added a pre or a post cruise tour, in some cases both.

I cannot imagine the 'average' cruiser' for instance, flying all the way to Istanbul or Rome for example, and not adding a land portion. You really do not see that much local colour on a cruise.

I don't know who the 'average cruiser' is, but we like to take a few extra days at one or both ends of a cruise. We don't always, but more often than not, we do.

I don't know who the 'average cruiser' is, but we like to take a few extra days at one or both ends of a cruise. We don't always, but more often than not, we do.

That could be considered pretty average on one hand!:cool: On the other hand, it could not:eek: Now, if you would switch hands............, but, on the other hand, better not

For us, and maybe others, it all depends on the port of embarkation. Fort Lauderdale would rate a day or 2 early where Rome or Copenhagen will get 4 or 5 days before and a couple days after.

Flying to Istanbul is not the average cruise to most. Simply laughable though for you to think so.

A 7 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, Miami,Seattle, Canaveral is the average cruise. When the Kon- Tiki went 4,300 miles across the Pacific,this wasn't the average cruise either.

I guess it really depends on your frame of reference.

I am not really certain that the average 'cruiser' sails out of the US nor would I assume that the 'average' cruiser is from North America.

If you happen to live in the UK, the average cruiser may in fact sail from Southhampton, or Rome, or Barcelona. If you live in Australia, the average cruise may cruise from Sydney, Wellington, or perhaps Singapore.

That could be considered pretty average on one hand!:cool: On the other hand, it could not:eek: Now, if you would switch hands............, but, on the other hand, better not

Or for the left hand that doesn't know what the right is doing, or vice versa :D

I think there should definitely be a poll to find out what exactly the "average cruiser" is.:rolleyes:

Well... Go ahead and start one. What are you waiting for?:rolleyes:

I'll start one :D.... oh, on second thought never mind :rolleyes:

The bottom line question is why HAL would have any interest in doing this when they clearly are going in the other direction, as are all mass market cruiselines and most of the luxury lines. Most lines are now resort/country club casual to satisfy the majority of pax who want a more laid back cruise vacation. HAL's dress code has been diluted in the past few years to the point that there is no requirement for anything close to real formalwear and on some ships even the suggested dress is not required to get in the MDR on 'formal' nights.

Competition to fill cabins is just too stiff for HAL to go back to promoting formal dress. They have been working too hard to give the opposite impression and attract younger and more casual pax and families.

Wouldn't 'wreck my day' to learn HAL has chosen to discontinue formal nights.

The standard they set is so low as it is that truly formal is substantially done.

We'd happily leave the suit and cocktail dresses home. :)

As long as they request jacket and tie for the dining room on formal night, we'll comply but will be among the first to say "Fine" if they discontinue it.

This post is not intended to re-hash the various opinions that we all have about formal nights. HAL apparently would like to keep formal nights, but they're obviously not going to enforce the suggested dress code. So, instead of enforcing the dress code I'd like to start a discussion on whether or not HAL can and should encourage participation by making formal nights something really special rather than just an evening for dressing up.

I'll offer a few suggestions, and encourage you to express your opinion pro or con as well as offer alternate/additional suggestions.

1) Reserve a special area of the MDR for observant pax and strictly enforce the dress code for entry.

2) Offer a special menu for the formal area, but allow pax to order from the regular menu if desired.

3) Offer a complimentary glass of good wine/champagne and also make the specialty coffees complimentary. If not complimentary, then significantly discounted.

4) Have a black and white ball with discounted drinks and enforce the dress code for entry.

They already offer a special menu unlike Celebrity who offers the same rotating menu. Plus HAL covers the chairs on the second formal night. There is usually filet Mignon and Lobster tale, crab cakes (once they had a full meal version of the ones in Pinnacle), and crab legs to name a few things on the formal night menus.

We are done bringing formal wear on our HAL cruises. I wore a gown on 3 nights last cruise and not dragging one around the world any longer.

We do not have a problem packing with one checked luggage on our HAL cruises but I am typically one of the only people wearing a gown. Our suits and gown are getting folded into the luggage and then we have to pay extra to have them pressed (they should have been offering free pressing on at least one suit or gown if they want to continue this tradition).

Btw, we are going on an African Safari next year and will have to pack 33 pounds per person including camera equipment and all carryon. It does not matter that we are traveling Business class on our international flights. I think it will be very freeing.

They already offer a special menu unlike Celebrity who offers the same rotating menu. Plus HAL covers the chairs on the second formal night. There is usually filet Mignon and Lobster tale, crab cakes (once they had a full meal version of the ones in Pinnacle), and crab legs to name a few things on the formal night menus.

We are done bringing formal wear on our HAL cruises. I wore a gown on 3 nights last cruise and not dragging one around the world any longer.

We do not have a problem packing with one checked luggage on our HAL cruises but I am typically one of the only people wearing a gown. Our suits and gown are getting folded into the luggage and then we have to pay extra to have them pressed (they should have been offering free pressing on at least one suit or gown if they want to continue this tradition).

Btw, we are going on an African Safari next year and will have to pack 33 pounds per person including camera equipment and all carryon. It does not matter that we are traveling Business class on our international flights. I think it will be very freeing.

Good idea! They could run a pre-formal night special--one suit or lady's dress per person. Put it out the morning before formal night and it will be back, nicely pressed in time for dinner the next night.

Doubt it will happen, but it would be nice.

Jade13....we have exactly the same issue this fall-with a cruise on either side. I am OK with it. DW is a fairly light packer but is feeling the pressure. I suspect that I may have to go down to 25 or less if you get my drift. I think what we will do is go down to one bag for the safari and leave another full bag at our pre and post hotel.

I don't see a reason for HAL to 'give' anything in order to encourage formal night.

I don't honestly think they care if formal continues. They know far better than me but when the demographic leans more toward smart casual every night, what is their incentive to continue formal nights?

I remember when dining stewards were dressed in different uniforms, bar staff wore tails, bartenders had batik jackets...... All gone now.

HAL will discontinue formal nights, IMO, when they reach the number that more guests do NOT want it than do. I think they are very close to that point now.

The number of folks calling room service and going to Lido is a good indicator. As those numbers grow and they see more empty seats in the dining room, IMO, they will say Finished to formal nights.

There is no reason for them to urge people to dress.

Archived