Carnival Coffee

mabkcruisers

We also find the coffee horrible on Carival actually other cruise lines as well, but it doesn't really matter much because they do offer for a charge the premium coffee....and its not that I drink more than one cup a day so we not let that bother us.

It seems that coffee tastes have changed since starbucks became the standard for "fancy" coffee.

It seems like people have grown accustomed to their very over roasted coffee. Coffee shouldn't have a burned or ashy taste to it. I buy heavily milked coffee drinks from starbucks when traveling because they are everywhere and convenient. I go to other coffee places (both chains and locals) and the difference in the smoothness of the coffee is like night and day. I'm not saying that Starbucks is horrible, just more like the fast food of coffee in my opinion.

I am far from a coffee snob, I brew Gevalia Columbian through a Tassimo machine every morning, not a really high end coffee, but I am far too groggy and lazy in the morning for a french press! Something about the pressure brewing with the Tassimo that gives coffee a richer flavor.

Improving coffee on Carnival doesn't seem like it would be a big expense. Even better than average beans cost very little per cup of coffee.

bakechef I understand what you saying but my other half and I do not drink that starbuck stuff so I have to disagree a bit. Hills Bros been around for ages and its always been the worse coffee one could buy, worst tasting coffee.

I also have Gevalia and at times used Chuck Full O Nuts...but I love my Keurig and you can get different brands coffee I love the donut house one...and I love the machine press the button in the morning and in 20 seconds huge cup of coffee lol

I used to be in the coffee, bottled water and vending business for many years, and there is no miracle involved in producing quality coffee, and it does not even need to be "Starbucks" or "Seattles Best" or "Green Mountain" or "whatever" either. Big names do not matter except for marketing purposes.

Considering the amount of coffee cruise ships produce, a contract(s) with some local, quality roasters can provide them with some quality coffee. They might do this already, but who knows? These roasters can buy the same beans the big names do. I know, as I worked with several of them.

As an aside, I also worked with two coffee brewer manufacturers, and gave advice / feedback as to the brewers they were producing as we attempted (successfully) to improve upon the quality of the coffee produced.

Speaking in reference NOT to fancy "coffee bars" that may be on ships, but the general coffee served during meals, it comes down to essentially several things:

1. The quality of the coffee. Duh! This could mean a good Columbian, or Arabica blend. You want coffee that will satisfy the majority, but you cannot make everyone happy either. Obviously quality coffee costs $$$. I always had excellent coffee on Cunard.

2. The quality of the water used. Ship's water should be fine for brewing coffee, as it should contain some mineral content, which is desirable. You don't want to brew coffee with distilled water, which has no mineral content. The mineral content will usually add to the flavor. Again, ship's water should be fine.

3. The amount of coffee you use per "pot" or "urn". The more the stronger. Of course more coffee per pot = more $$$! ;)

4. The brewing temperature. The water should hit the coffee at around 198°, and should come out (after hitting the cooler coffee) at around 180° or so. This temperature should provide for maximum extraction from the grind. If the water temperature is too low, you're wasting money as you are not extracting enough from the grind.

5. The "grind": Fine, medium or coarse have an affect. I prefer medium to coarse grind, and this can be specified from your roaster. Also, do you work with pre-ground coffee, or just buy the whole, roasted beans, and grind the coffee on the ship. Of course this is more labor intensive ($$$$), but buying the whole beans and grinding yourself might make it a wash as to cost.

6. How is the coffee stored once brewed? If it is an urn that is used to brew / serve the coffee, such is often necessary due to the volume. If you have high turnover, it should not be a problem with an urn. The worst are the glass coffee pots (we call them "bowls") that you brew coffee into and they then sit on a burner plate on the coffee brewer. With these you have at best 20 minutes before the coffee oxidizes and burns up. Much less when the pot is no longer full.

7. The type of roast of the beans. This is something that can be determined after some taste tests.

The reality is: If water, brewing temperature and storage are on the up and up, and you have a decent quality of coffee (not saying great), it all comes down to how much coffee per brew you use and the grind of that coffee. It really is not rocket science, trust me! Any cruise line should be able to produce a more than acceptable quality of coffee, sadly, some cruise lines, and even many restaurants pay their least attention to coffee quality, and there is no reason for this.

Thanks for the info, really opened my eyes, also explains why sometimes its decent and sometimes terrible. ;)

bakechef I understand what you saying but my other half and I do not drink that starbuck stuff so I have to disagree a bit. Hills Bros been around for ages and its always been the worse coffee one could buy, worst tasting coffee.

I also have Gevalia and at times used Chuck Full O Nuts...but I love my Keurig and you can get different brands coffee I love the donut house one...and I love the machine press the button in the morning and in 20 seconds huge cup of coffee lol

Isn't that instant gratification wonderful, the pod machine fueled my addiction, it was a christmas gift from my mom!

I remember the coffee on Carnival being kind of bad, but I wasn't a regular coffee drinker a couple years ago. I may just have to pay for the good stuff at the coffee bar!

Hmmmm.... The tassimo is a fairly small machine, maybe I'll bring it with me, :D

bakechef until I got my wonderful machine I also really didn't drink much coffee now I need it in the am its so good and so easy no mess no wait love it lol

Guess we will just pay for the better coffee its not that you and I constantly drink it all day and night. :) daughter does lol but she has to work can't go on this trip.

Personally, I feel that the best $2 you can spend if you are a serious coffee drinker is to purchase a cup at the coffee bar.

Even though I bring about 12 Starbucks Via "Blonde" coffee (which does not taste burnt), I typically purchase a cup in the morning of the freshly grinded coffee at the "pay for" coffee bar.

Of course, that is always where I meet the Italian officers drinking their fresh, morning espresso so you know that the coffee bar has the best coffee.

If room service even had an "up-charge" of a dollar or two, I would be willing to pay it for some decent coffee.

There really is no excuse for them to serve sub-standard coffee through room service or in the in the MDR.

Personally, I feel that the best $2 you can spend if you are a serious coffee drinker is to purchase a cup at the coffee bar.

Even though I bring about 12 Starbucks Via "Blonde" coffee (which does not taste burnt), I typically purchase a cup in the morning of the freshly grinded coffee at the "pay for" coffee bar.

Of course, that is always where I meet the Italian officers drinking their fresh, morning espresso so you know that the coffee bar has the best coffee.

If room service even had an "up-charge" of a dollar or two, I would be willing to pay it for some decent coffee.

There really is no excuse for them to serve sub-standard coffee through room service or in the in the MDR.

I will have to try some Via then, if it's doesn't have the burnt taste like Starbucks brewed coffee. At home I use my stovetop espresso maker along with beans from a local roaster. Or just get a cafe Americano from the coffee bar

Archived